Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" Kit or Cams or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
jmxp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95" Kit or Cams or Both?

My RK is torn apart for paint, and that motor is just sitting there saying, "what about me?" So I'm considering a 95" kit and a cam upgrade at some point as well.

So I got to thinking, since I'm considering a 95" kit, I should probably do that first before I do a cam upgrade or I may end up doing cams twice. The problem is that I can't afford to do both at the same time.

Aside from re-mapping, and the 95" kit itself (jugs, pistons, gaskets etc..) is there anything else required for the motor to run well with just the 95" kit? ie Are cams *required* for a 95" upgrade? I realize that cams will wake it up more just like they do on an 88, but can I wait?

Thx,

J

Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 95" Kit or Cams or Both?

You can wait and do them separately.

Both steps will require tuning. So... you can do them individually and tune twice, or do both @ once & tune once.

Better return on just cams, if you choose to do one at a time.

Best results are from both.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Originally I thought about cams first, but with the bike already stripped down, I can get to the jugs easily now. I can bolt the cams in without taking the top apart again.

I was thinking about this too: The stock heads probably wouldn't let the 95" kit breath to its full potential, so with the jugs off, it might make sense to take care of those at the same time....

Man, this is getting pricey.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

YOU WONT NOTICE MUCH DIFFERENCE WITJOUT THE CAMS. GO WITH GEAR DRIVES.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:10 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Yup, gear drives are a done deal. I also considered (since I'd have the top end apart anyway) of going with a higher lift can vs. the .510 bolt-ins.

I probably need to take a few steps back and sort out all the parts before I do anything.

Need to sort through heads/cams for a touring bike that does 50/50 2-up riding that's responsive on the highway with strong torque from 2-5k from 0-50. I don't ever really go above 80-85, but I want it to pass strong from 60-80.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it all at once and do it right....big bore, headwork, gear drives and a pro dyno tune....choose your components carefully!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're creating a bit of a catch 22 situation.....

If you wanna get your heads done, then you'll need to know what compression ratio you want to accomplish. To determine the desired CR, you need to know what cams you wanna use.... and so on....

Start with your riding style, which you're already started defining. Select componets that compliment one another, with your desired riding style and level of dependability in mind.

Perhaps you should select who you want to do your heads and chat with them about your objective and get input from them based on their experience.

At surface level, based on what you've shared, you probably don't need "big" cams. There are plenty of good cams that will do what you want and are still "bolt-in" cams that are every bit as reliable, when properly built, as stock. Those include Andrews 26G, S&S 510G, Kuryakyn 1G, 2G, Woods 6G, HeadQuarters HQ-0034, and the list goes on.... It's way to easy to over-cam your motor.. and the results ...... well.... suck.

Research, Dude!

Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Riding style above is about as much detail as I can figure out. Touring, 50/50 2-up, good stoplight to stoplight torque, solid passing capability on the Interstate and as far as dependibility: 100% reliable. Don't ever want to be standing on the side of the road. Gas mileage is important too - high 30's to low 40's would be acceptable. As far as compression ratio: Not too concerned with bumping that up so long as super unleaded pump gas will do because I use super today anyway.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to get into the 100/100 club if that's possible with the 95" kit, cams and stage 1.

I don't know that I want to do the heads, but I backed into it:

If I do the 95" kit, I'll probably want cams to get the most out of it. If I do cams, I probably should do something with the heads to allow it to breath and take advantage of the cams.

I'm not adverse to bolt-in cams if they get the ridability that I'm looking for. re: No cam envy here

Research is what got me to this point in the first place I think. Wildthings and 26G's appear to enjoy a good rep for bolt-ins, but how do I figure out if I need more than bolt-ins?

I probably will take your advice on contacting a shop that does headwork to see which direction they'd suggest.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:30 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have a case of the dreaded "might as well's"

Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM
jmxp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: liltrk

I think you have a case of the dreaded "might as well's"
No sh*t...been that way since the day I bought it:

Might as well add, cruise, pipes, se stage 1, paint etc...etc...etc....

It's madness. What I need to do is walk the hell away and take my wife out somewhere nice.

Quick Reply: 95" Kit or Cams or Both?