Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" Kit or Cams or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 95" Kit or Cams or Both?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Kuryakyn 26G is more than a "bolt-in" cam as it has something like .575 lift. If that's the case, you'll need different valve springs and need to check for clearence in the cam chest, at the bottom of the lifter box. I've used Andrews 55G's which are .550 lift without having to do any clearence work in the cam chest. I did use high-lift springs though. Jeepster could tell us if he had to make any extra room for those cams, as he is running them.

If you'd just ilke it to run really well, with plenty of passing & pulling grunt, you can do that pretty easy & cheap. Install a set of Andrews 26G's, have your jugs bored to 95" & install S/E 1550 flat tops.

We did that on PipeDaddys 05 RG (even used chain drive cams) and with a nice dyno tune he had 8x HP & 98 ft/lbs of torque.

That's with stock heads, gaskets, and throttle body.

With the 06 (46mm) throttle body, your results should be better.

Andrews 26G's are designed to work best in an unmodified 88 or 95" TC engine. I have them in mine w/ported & polished heads, thin head gasket, and a Dakota Kid Throttle Body and mine is getting 93/94. The HP is higher, but torque is not. It's the torque that matters.

Moral to that load of hot air .... be sure to use components that "compliment each other". I have more "stuff" (read: $$$) in mine than he does & he's getting better torque, which translates into facial GRIN during riding experience(s)....

Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM
jmxp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

I could be wrong, but I believe the Kuryakyn 26G is more than a "bolt-in" cam as it has something like .575 lift.
I was referring to the Andrews 26g's, not the Kury TC-26g's as bolt-in. What CR do the SE1550's provide? Or a better question: What CR do you think I should be looking for with the riding style I detailed?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh... sorry. Having two vendors cams w/the same model number is confusing...

The Andrews 26's like up to 9.25:1, "per Andrews". Builders will tell you 9.4:1 is OK.

95" jugs with S/E flat-tops, using .030 head gasket will get ya ~9.2 & 9.25:1, which is just about ideal (there is some variation in chamber size, so unless they are cc'd, you won't know for sure). If you do choose to have the heads cleaned up, be sure to tell the machine shop to set them up for 9.25:1 CR max, if you do decide to go with this cam. I've been down the road of pinging vs. squeezing out a little more & I prefer a motor that runs good w/o detination reagrdless of temperature and what the octane rating is on Super Unleaded.

I still encourage you to discuss all this with whatever machine shop you choose, either for head work or jug boring.... Those guys have a wealth of info that they are willing to share, if you just ask.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
jmxp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No pinging for me either. Wouldn't be able to take that. Do you think porting would yield a significant difference with a .510 lift cam like the Andrews 26g or one of the other bolt-in cams?

Sounds like 9.2:1 is the upper limit to avoid pinging???

Thanks for answering all my questions.

J

PS I have a bead on jugs/pistos/pins/clips/gaskets for $350.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this combo out with 2G's, flat tops and mild head work. Puts you in pretty decent company ....nice power curve!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Each cam has it's own "sweet spot", with respect to compression ratio. The Andrews 26's like 9.25:1, S&S 510's like 9.7:1.

Again, it goes back to components and configuration that compliment each other.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Check this combo out with 2G's, flat tops and mild head work. Puts you in pretty decent company ....nice power curve!

That's nice!

I wonder what the compression ratio on that is. I seem to recall reading that the Wild Things pistons have a raised top (even the "flat-tops), which would increase CR. Additioanlly, if "mild head work" includes milling, that too increases CR.

Also, those WB E-Series pipes REALLY make a difference!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

As you read these graphs, be sure to note the torque levels in RPM ranges that you ride in. The Kuryakyn dyno sheet looks great on paper, but I wonder how it feels @ 2500 ~ 3000 RPM...???...

Mine is not quite as high at peak, but it's decent down low and all the way across....

Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

www.GMRPerformance.com ....go with a 98....Revolution Performance(site sponsor) does them as well

this is my little 98" before we really tweaked it...now it makes 118rwhp and over 90ftlbs at 2k rpm
Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  19.3 KB

Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,758 Likes on 1,264 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmxp

My RK is torn apart for paint, and that motor is just sitting there saying, "what about me?" So I'm considering a 95" kit and a cam upgrade at some point as well.

So I got to thinking, since I'm considering a 95" kit, I should probably do that first before I do a cam upgrade or I may end up doing cams twice. The problem is that I can't afford to do both at the same time.

Aside from re-mapping, and the 95" kit itself (jugs, pistons, gaskets etc..) is there anything else required for the motor to run well with just the 95" kit? ie Are cams *required* for a 95" upgrade? I realize that cams will wake it up more just like they do on an 88, but can I wait?

Thx,

J
Just wait and do it this winter, do all at once. It will save you money in the long run and you will be happier.

Quick Reply: 95" Kit or Cams or Both?