Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Riding after knee replacement

I am scheduled to go in for a total knee replacement of my right knee next month and was wondering if any of you have had experience with a replacement and getting back on a bike after it is done. Hoping to get some idea as to how long it will be before I can get back on the bike, how your surgery went and how much better your knee is now. I want to get back on the bike as soon as possible (as soon as it warms up and the snow melts here). I'm hoping that I can get "back in the saddle" after a couple months (around May 1) of therapy.
Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KutenFLHX
I am scheduled to go in for a total knee replacement of my right knee next month and was wondering if any of you have had experience with a replacement and getting back on a bike after it is done. Hoping to get some idea as to how long it will be before I can get back on the bike, how your surgery went and how much better your knee is now. I want to get back on the bike as soon as possible (as soon as it warms up and the snow melts here). I'm hoping that I can get "back in the saddle" after a couple months (around May 1) of therapy.
Thanks.

had mine done july of 07 left and july of 09 right and did very well .was up and riding by sept. each time. get a good surgeon and do all of the therophy not much else to it
at least thats how it went for me .you can't just go crazy or anything but you should be well on your way in a couple months .good luck get back to us after you get them done let us know what you think

almost forgot .after all that pain it's the best thing i have ever done

Last edited by pled55; 02-02-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pled55
had mine done july of 07 left and july of 09 right and did very well .was up and riding by sept. each time. get a good surgeon and do all of the therophy not much else to it
at least thats how it went for me .you can't just go crazy or anything but you should be well on your way in a couple months .good luck get back to us after you get them done let us know what you think

almost forgot .after all that pain it's the best thing i have ever done
I'll probably also be having my left knee replaced in a couple of years. I was told that I needed to wait at least 3 years after my motorcycle accident (18 months ago) so that the tibia could completely fuse back together. That should be an interesting surgery as the plate on the tibia extends from a little above my ankle to just below the knee.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Haven't had knee replacement (yet), but did go through two procedures on same leg (scope & ACL). Not as traumatic, but did go through PT w/alot of people who had replacements. It's all in the therapy & your health/status prior & through surgery. Recovery will be much quicker if you prepare before (exercise) and be persistant after (therapy). Could meet your May sched w/little problem - good luck w/the surgery & heal well.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had both of mine done at the same time 5 years ago. I was up 2 days later walking in the hospital the next morning they sent me home. 4 or 5 weeks later I was hanging sheet metal in a new house. SLOWLY but I was holding my own. Stairs were a bitch for a while but they got better. DO the meds they give you and physical therapy. It is important you get the knee moving as soon as possible and keep it moving. I just got my bike in july after 15 years without so as far as how long till your back on is up to you you'll know when your ready.I will tell you this, when they say keep your feet on the footboards at all times be mindful of that . If I had it to do over I would do it again you are going wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good Luck my friend.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rick Lees
Had both of mine done at the same time 5 years ago. I was up 2 days later walking in the hospital the next morning they sent me home. 4 or 5 weeks later I was hanging sheet metal in a new house. SLOWLY but I was holding my own. Stairs were a bitch for a while but they got better. DO the meds they give you and physical therapy. It is important you get the knee moving as soon as possible and keep it moving. I just got my bike in july after 15 years without so as far as how long till your back on is up to you you'll know when your ready.I will tell you this, when they say keep your feet on the footboards at all times be mindful of that . If I had it to do over I would do it again you are going wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good Luck my friend.
From what I've been told so far, I will be up and standing the day of the surgery and walking the next day with PT morning and afternoon until I am discharged (2-3 days). I have a high threshold for pain, so I am fairly sure that I will be up and getting back to everything I have been doing and more soon after the surgery,
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good information. I'm Looking at left knee replacement very shortly, and sure hate to give up the riding for a few months, but I know I will feel better once it's over with. Good luck with your replacement.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Good info here. I'm 63yo & my left could be replaced & my right is getting close. I lost a lot of weight which helped & work out at least 2 times a week. I try not to take to much pain meds. I'll put it off as long as I can. It's good to hear about your quick recovery.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Oldschoolman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my rt one 14 months ago. Stayed off of bike from 11/30 -2/28. Work the exercises they give you and then do them again. Cry, bitch, cuss,but work that quad and you will enjoy riding again.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread just caught my eye. I was in a motorcycle accident in May 2010...was hit from behind my another bike. I just had my 6th left knee surgery thanks to the accident (had 5 previous before accident). My surgeon is telling me my knee needs replacing because there is nothing left and the cartilage is starting to shred off the bone. At the ripe old age of 39 I am concerned about longevity because the replacements only last so long. I'm looking into some options right now.

Quick Reply: Riding after knee replacement