Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Codes Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS Codes Fixed!

I was getting some error codes from my ABS system. Had like 5 to get started with then I cleared them rode again only had a few. So I started trouble shooting out of the EDM it does say to address the trouble code with the highest ranking and the EDM ranks all the trouble code for you in the manual do it this way or I can see where you will end up with the wrong conclusion. I did this and the first few times trouble shooting without a breakout box was a little difficult for me. But I went trough it a few times and really under stood it by the 3rd time. Come to find out it was only a broken wire at the front wheel sensor at the connector that is located on the lower left triple tree so I soldered it, heat shrank it and electrical tape to support it all well. This connection in this area is bound to break on many of you. It just gets folded up and racked around I was surprised it lasted this long when checking it out after I fixed it moving the wheel back and forth left to right. I have turned the connection slightly in another direction from stock and zip tied it and checked for movement all is good.

Thing is now I feel pretty good about trouble shooting in general and now the ABS system was not to bad at all.

Still going to make a breakout box can see how these will be very helpful working by yourself. Dawg is going to let me know all of the connectors that come off the various breakout boxes so I can make one up.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Some thing to check, my ABS light stays on more than not. Been at the stealers 6 or more time without a fix yet.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by glide2005
Some thing to check, my ABS light stays on more than not. Been at the stealers 6 or more time without a fix yet.
There are Lemon Laws.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM
glide2005
Supporter

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
There are Lemon Laws.

Yea I know, been rideing for 40 plus years without ABS. If its not working no big deal. I've gotten use to the light being on now.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by glide2005
I've gotten use to the light being on now.
Put a piece of tape over it.
LOL

While I have your attention...and not to hijack this thread.....
What GPS mount is that?
Can you point me to a website?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

When my ABS came on it also ended up being a broken wire in the loom where it gets ziptied to the frame.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Well mine just got fixed. I had read these post and checked the connector and wire to the frt wheel sensor and didn't find anything. My break turned out to be in the harness just under the palstic covering the main harness. They told me I would not find the connector in the hole on the tripple tree any more because it puts to much strain on the wire so it is tie wrapped back at the harness.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well know that is a thought also I will remove mine from that holder clip that would be helpful. But mine has seem to be working fine since the fix still. Thanks for the new information.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an ABS error code the first day I put the bike on my lift.
The front fork had never swung freely to the far most right side and this extra travel pulled and disconnected the front ABS sensor connector.
The remedy was to pass the sensor wires underneath the bundle of cables instead of wrapping around the bundle to reach the fork. These 'exiting wires' are located along the left side of the frame, in front of the fuel tank and next to the air temperature sensor.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine broke somewhere just in front of the tank also. Dealer fixed it under warranty. I can see electrical tape wrapped around some wires where he spliced or repaired them.