Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler slip on recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011 | 07:10 PM
69cj
Road Master

Originally Posted by ncdan
save your money, Ive been where your at. Take your stock mufflers off and punch a hole in both end baffles. A 1 inch hole will do fine. The sound is a nice rumble, opens the air flow a little, and no 250 buck retune is necessary. Best of all at 75mph on the highway your brain dont get scrambled from the racket. Yes i said racket.
Do you punch them out from the inlet or outlet side and what have you found best to use for the punch?

Old 02-01-2011 | 07:42 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DocHarley
IMO LOUD!!!

I sold mine for just that reason and bought the Jackpots from FuleMoto. Not too loud but still sounds like a Harley and bark when you get on it.
What size where the jackpots, 3 1/2" or 4"? I'm thinking about getting the jackpots, and I think I'm looking for pretty much the same output you are. Could you hear a radio ok cruising at 70 down the hwy?

Old 02-01-2011 | 08:01 PM
ncdan
Tourer

after you get the muffler off and look inside either end, you will see a metal flap of sorts. I took a long sharpened steel rod and started a hole in the middle of the obstruction. Then I used a one inch pry bar which has a pointed end. After punching both ends you can hold it up and see all the way through,same as any other preformance muffler. However the sound is not as loud at upper rpms,but has a nice deeper tone. I had my 03 dynoed with sampsons as well as my punched out stock, and both times I came up with 76 hp and 86 fps of torque. Cost 0.00 bucks. Its worth trying first IMO.

Old 02-02-2011 | 09:43 AM
MikeA
|
Novice

Thanks all for the replies. Unfortunately it is the middle of winter and not too many bikes out or rallies going on in my neck of the woods to check out other mufflers. I am still just as confused but have narrowed my choices some what. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2011 | 09:57 AM
69cj
Road Master

Originally Posted by ncdan
after you get the muffler off and look inside either end, you will see a metal flap of sorts. I took a long sharpened steel rod and started a hole in the middle of the obstruction. Then I used a one inch pry bar which has a pointed end. After punching both ends you can hold it up and see all the way through,same as any other preformance muffler. However the sound is not as loud at upper rpms,but has a nice deeper tone. I had my 03 dynoed with sampsons as well as my punched out stock, and both times I came up with 76 hp and 86 fps of torque. Cost 0.00 bucks. Its worth trying first IMO.
Thanks ncdan, I will try it. I don't scrimp a penny when it comes to maintenance and fluids, however, if I can get what I want for free in something like the sound dept. it would be stupid spending hundreds of dollars just so I can say I have so and so's.

Old 02-02-2011 | 11:41 AM
ClassicBill
Advanced

I went a little defferent route than lots of folks. I put VH true duel headpipes (approx $300) with the SE touring mufflers that came on my bike. Everybody that i ride with said it sounded real good. Not real loud, not real quiet either. I liked it couse it was cheap.

Old 02-02-2011 | 12:01 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 69cj
Thanks ncdan, I will try it. I don't scrimp a penny when it comes to maintenance and fluids, however, if I can get what I want for free in something like the sound dept. it would be stupid spending hundreds of dollars just so I can say I have so and so's.
FYI - On 2007 and newer mufflers only the left can be modified due to a redesign for the 96" engine. Also, don't try doing this with the muffler mounted on your bike or you risk breaking your Y-pipe at the rear cylinder.

Old 02-02-2011 | 12:07 PM
69cj
Road Master

Originally Posted by run1fsr
FYI - On 2007 and newer mufflers only the left can be modified due to a redesign for the 96" engine. Also, don't try doing this with the muffler mounted on your bike or you risk breaking your Y-pipe at the rear cylinder.
To be perfectly clear, are you saying that the right side muffler cannot be punched out? Not arguing just wondering why not. Please educate me if possible!

Old 02-02-2011 | 12:11 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 69cj
To be perfectly clear, are you saying that the right side muffler cannot be punched out? Not arguing just wondering why not. Please educate me if possible!
Prior to 2007 yes they can. After 2007 the rights are designed differently. Look inside with a flashlight and you will see what I mean.

Old 02-02-2011 | 06:32 PM
69cj
Road Master

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Prior to 2007 yes they can. After 2007 the rights are designed differently. Look inside with a flashlight and you will see what I mean.
Just punched out the left side. Is there any reason that a left side would not fit on the right side? I would have compared but we have 60 to 80 mph winds todays and really didn't want to do any more work in the garage. Cold winds.

Quick Reply: Muffler slip on recommendations