Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

heck every bike that has ever been started has used cams lol. People change lifters without changing cams and if your inner and outer (if you have them) are in good shape and your oil system works nothing wrong with used cams as long as they look good.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used roller cams should have few issues. I pull my race roller cam every freshen up in my race motor, and the lobes never get the same lifters because it isn't important. I run twice the spring pressure and 1 1/2 times the rpm of a HD motor. Like said earlier, if you can't feel it with your finger nail, there is insignificant wear and the cam is fine. These are rolling friction parts, not sliding friction like a flat tappet design cam. Those you NEVER (except with ceramic lifters!) ever put together with used lifters unless the parts go back in exactly as removed. I would not be afraid to buy any used cam provided I could check it or get a reference for the seller.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 AM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I puchased low milage pulls (2000 miles) from a CVO and saved myself $150. No wear pattern that I could feel on any of the running/contact surfaces. Only some slight discoloration. I put them in last Spring and did not experience any problems at all last year. If you are buy them from someone that lives too far away for you to physically inspect them before purchase then insist that they send you some pictures of them before purchasing. Also, I think that if they are pulled from a low milage motor that is a plus.

Last edited by jimski; 01-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, I saw brand new cams on ebay last night for less than 100.00.....Don't remember what they were, I think SE 203's and something else...Speaking of 203's what will they do for 88 motor, I want a little more power midrange with being radical.

Joe

Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I guess I can cut a lot of corners on buying extras for the bike, but when it comes to internal engine parts, it is best just to bite the bullet and buy new.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Thanks for the replies. I guess I can cut a lot of corners on buying extras for the bike, but when it comes to internal engine parts, it is best just to bite the bullet and buy new.
Damn SON, We didn't make you feel warm n fuzzy...LOL...It is entirely your choice.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, no warm and fuzzy feelings, I guess. I wouldn't worry to much about what a few opinions are. I would ask questions about the cam or any other used parts. How long were they installed, was the bike ran hard(racing ,etc)oil changed regularly,etc. If they only have a few miles on them or none, I would buy them if I am saving money. Some don't care about saving money. More money in my pockets more bling I can buy and more road trips Momma and me can take...

Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all the money we spend on these bikes wheels big bores ect. and we wanna skimp by buying used cams. again thats me i bought the fuel moto 555 cam kit comes with everything u need for the install $580.00 shipped. for external dress up parts yes maybe i would buy used but internal parts i buy new. but thats me good luck on your choice.
Rick

Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd have no problems whatsoever about running a used roller cam. Inspect it to make sure the wear pattern looks normal (not the result of running incorrect, soft valvesprings, etc), and just install it and go.

Definitely would pass on used rings, bearings, spark plugs and oil ( ) but roller cams are a perfectly good item to buy used.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no reason to have concerns about using a low mileage roller cam that came out of a heathly engine. A visible inspection of the cam lobes and surfaces that ride on the bearings should tell you all you need to know about the condition. You may see a few lines but if you can't feel them with a finger nail they aren't a concern. These are not the flat tappet cams of old that wore the lobes down over time.

Quick Reply: Used Cams