Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfire Upon Startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire Upon Startup

I have an occasional very loud backfire out of my exhaust upon start up only after the bike has been sitting all day or night (8hrs). This may happen once every couple of weeks or may happen two days in a row.

Anyhow, what I'm asking is 1) Has anyone else had this happen to them? 2) Has anyone heard of any deffects in the ign systems? The bike runs fine otherwise.

05 FLHRCI, V&H duals/Ovals/Fuelpak/K&N air filter

Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Backfire Upon Startup

Sounds like a rich condition , call vance and hines and tell them whats going on , and they will give you updated values for the fuel pak.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser

I had the problem with my first fuel control too... Dobeck Performance(same as RevTech DFO). Was hoping V&H Fuelpak would have made a change.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 PM
DragonNester
Tourer

I've owned 2 Harleys one evo...one twin scam. They both did it occasionally. I've heard many Harleys do the same thing. Not to worry! I put 30,000 on the evo and have 22,000 on the twin scam so far with no ill effects. I always thought it had something to do with the duel fire ignition system...don't know or really care at this point.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:51 PM
rkoko164
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DragonNester

I've owned 2 Harleys one evo...one twin scam. They both did it occasionally. I've heard many Harleys do the same thing. Not to worry! I put 30,000 on the evo and have 22,000 on the twin scam so far with no ill effects. I always thought it had something to do with the duel fire ignition system...don't know or really care at this point.
Was it loud, like a shotgun going off next to your head? And was it only after the bike sat all day?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

rkoko164,

I have an 05 RG and mine does the same thing every once in a while and yes it is after sitting over night or all day at work. It runs fine afterward. Mine never did it before I added my PC III so I was going to call Fuel Moto and see what they think. I have also had a drop in fuel milage recently from 43 to 38-39. I'm not sure if the fact that it has cooled off here and the air is denser causing the ecm to adjust by adding fuel or if the PC III is acting up?????????

Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 AM
rkoko164
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

rkoko164,

I have an 05 RG and mine does the same thing every once in a while and yes it is after sitting over night or all day at work. It runs fine afterward. Mine never did it before I added my PC III so I was going to call Fuel Moto and see what they think. I have also had a drop in fuel milage recently from 43 to 38-39. I'm not sure if the fact that it has cooled off here and the air is denser causing the ecm to adjust by adding fuel or if the PC III is acting up?????????

Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same.

Yeah. exactly! Seems like the cooler weather is bringing it back. The summer went by with hardly a pop. I was thinking a weak spark during cranking, the fuel keeps spraying and then finally a spark...."bang". I also drive a short distance to work thinking the pipes and engine is still in rich mode when I shut it off, so I've been taking the long way to and from work for the last week and it's been starting perfectly...until this morning..."Bang"...now the thinking cap is back on. Are you running duals?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

rkoko164,

Yes, I am running V&H duals and Bassani mufflers, 95" Big Bore with SE air cleaner and PCIII.

I called Fuelmoto USA today and they told me that with the cooler weather that the air would be more dense causing the ECM to adjust to add fuel to the mixture which would explain my lower gas milage and they also told me that since the air is denser and the ECM is sending more fuel to compensate that it could be unburnt fuel from when you cut the bike off.

I am going to try revving up the motor once or twice just before turning the bike off and see if this helps on restart the next day. I guess the bottom line is the bike is getting more gas and apparently igniting the residual gas still in the throttle body form before you cut it off. I'll let you know how mine turns out after revving it up before turning it off.

Thundercloud

Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 PM
billk
Road Master

Stand back in case of explosion.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:17 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Get a PCIII and a pro dyno tune.....POOF.....NO backfire.....it's magic!

Quick Reply: Backfire Upon Startup