Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpots on backwards??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011 | 10:37 PM
fireaxxe
|
Road Master
Default Jackpots on backwards??

Still looking for the perfect (dB) I was checking out the stock pipes when it came to me. I wondered what would the bike sound like if I put the Jackpot slipon muffler with the smaller baffle on the right side of the bike, almost running it like the stock pipes where the left side has more flow. Has anyone done this? what did you think?

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:07 AM
Cheiron
Advanced

I think Jamie has spent quite a bit of time and money in research. He has figured out the best position for the product he sells.

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:08 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

I tried putting a quiet baffle on the right side only of my fishtails. For lack of a better term, it sounds unbalanced. You probably won't be happy with it.

Old 01-30-2011 | 12:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Why would you want to change something that has many hours of R&D?

Old 01-30-2011 | 12:30 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
yep, if Jamie had found out it ran better with more back pressure on the right he would have designed it that way. I believe the idea behind Jamie's design is to equalize backpressure to both sides to improve scavenging

Old 01-30-2011 | 12:39 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Why not? This is America.

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cheiron
I think Jamie has spent quite a bit of time and money in research. He has figured out the best position for the product he sells.
I agree and wouldn't even consider swapping the mufflers. The bike would certainly not run optimally.

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:18 PM
bbflhrs
Tourer

Sorry if this is a high-jack but I recently had Jamie send me the competition baffles for my Jackpots. When I removed the stock baffles I could not see any difference between the right and left side other than the right side was more blackened by the exhaust. They are identical in structure and the packing material appeared to be of the same quantity as well. Is one supposed to be shorter than the other?

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:58 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

So is your bike stock?

Old 01-30-2011 | 02:06 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bmaier
yep, if Jamie had found out it ran better with more back pressure on the right he would have designed it that way. I believe the idea behind Jamie's design is to equalize backpressure to both sides to improve scavenging
That's interesting, I always thought the Jackpots were designed more to act like a 2 into 1 system for better performance but providing the looks of a 2 pipe system.

Maybe Jamie will pipe in here and gives us the scoop.

Here's what the FM site states

The 2/1/2 design of the stock Harley headpipes works very well for performance on the 88", 96", 103" and 110" bikes. The factory headpipe design is based primarily on 2 into 1 design with a crossover for the left muffler. Our extensive testing has shown obvious shortcomings of the aftermarket true dual systems and we have found excellent gains thru baffle design taking advantage of the stock headpipe design. We developed an asymmetrical baffle system that allows us to use the right muffler for the primary muffler and we make use of the crossover and left muffler to produce maximum low end torque and HP. We extensively tested muffler, baffle design, exhaust packing combinations and our final baffle design is the result of 100+ hours of dyno testing and development.

So to me swapping them would be a bad, bad, idea.

Last edited by Bowhunter61; 01-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Jackpots on backwards??