Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpots on backwards??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 02:45 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Still looking for the perfect (dB) I was checking out the stock pipes when it came to me. I wondered what would the bike sound like if I put the Jackpot slipon muffler with the smaller baffle on the right side of the bike, almost running it like the stock pipes where the left side has more flow. Has anyone done this? what did you think?
I've heard of people putting the mufflers on the wrong side by accident, their bike ran like crap, a lot of sputtering and backfiring on decel.

Old 01-30-2011 | 03:16 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bbflhrs
Sorry if this is a high-jack but I recently had Jamie send me the competition baffles for my Jackpots. When I removed the stock baffles I could not see any difference between the right and left side other than the right side was more blackened by the exhaust. They are identical in structure and the packing material appeared to be of the same quantity as well. Is one supposed to be shorter than the other?
They are designed to run about 80% of the exhaust flow through the right side muffler by choking off the left side. If you look at the front or inlet of the baffles you will notice that one has a smaller opening, that's the left.

Old 01-30-2011 | 04:00 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bbflhrs
Sorry if this is a high-jack but I recently had Jamie send me the competition baffles for my Jackpots. When I removed the stock baffles I could not see any difference between the right and left side other than the right side was more blackened by the exhaust. They are identical in structure and the packing material appeared to be of the same quantity as well. Is one supposed to be shorter than the other?

How do you like the competition baffles?

Old 01-30-2011 | 04:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Why not? This is America.
I can see in some cases things can be improved.

Originally Posted by piasspj
So is your bike stock?
I see where this is going!

So would you buy the FM exhuast and mount them assbackwards thinking it would run better when the instructions clearly state which way to mount them?

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 01-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2011 | 04:21 PM
bbflhrs
Tourer

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
They are designed to run about 80% of the exhaust flow through the right side muffler by choking off the left side. If you look at the front or inlet of the baffles you will notice that one has a smaller opening, that's the left.
I just looked at them again and I honestly can't tell which one has the smaller holes. They look the same to me.

Originally Posted by HighLiner
How do you like the competition baffles?
I like them better than the regular baffles. They are a bit louder but they do pop a bit on decel. Not enough to bother me though.

Old 01-30-2011 | 04:25 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Well...why not give it a try & let us know the results...

Old 01-30-2011 | 04:25 PM
fireaxxe
|
Road Master

I swaped the mufflers to see what would happen, bike ran fine. It does sound different, not quieter but more mellow. I read the information on the site and it did not talk about the baffle placement effecting sound, only performance. The bike still has more power then with the stock pipes, my VE numbers still increased when i loaded a new map, and seems to have better off idle torque, with a bit less hp in the higher rpms. I have to ride it a bit more to determine if the sound was affected to a point where it would be worth giving up a few hp for a sound that better suits me. All I am doing in theory is redirecting the exhaust flow to choose the path of lesser resistance and taking a slightly longer rout to exit (like the stock system) which probably is not much due to the straight through design. I understand R&D but it depends on what you are reasearching and developing. In my case I am chasing the best possible sound for me. No catastrophic engine failure occured and the world did not end cause i put the Jackpots on backwards.

Old 01-30-2011 | 04:35 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the sound of mine.Never thought of switching them too see what sound they make.
I guess I missed the "sound/DB" part of your post.Sorry

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Old 01-30-2011 | 05:09 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I understand R&D but it depends on what you are reasearching and developing. In my case I am chasing the best possible sound for me. No catastrophic engine failure occured and the world did not end cause i put the Jackpots on backwards.
Exactly, it's just exhaust. It's not rocket science. More engineering gets thrown away in the stock parts than most of the aftermarket suppliers combined, it doesn't hurt to experiment.

Mine ran fine putting a more restrictive baffle on the right side as well, but I didn't like the modification in sound. What became even more dominant was the induction noise since the right side was quieter.

Glad you tried it!

Old 01-30-2011 | 05:24 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain

I figure Fuel Moto added that piece of paper with specific instructions on which way to install my Jackpot slip-on's for a reason. I'm not messing with it.

Quick Reply: Jackpots on backwards??