Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 500 Likes on 351 Posts

Just for example;

The (sad to see go) Electra Glide Standard weighed in
at 758 dry & 789 (running order)

A late model Ultra runs 857/901

That is a HUGE difference. I can remember a few yrs ago sitting on a Std then an Ultra on the showroom. Big big BIG difference. The std is right about the weight of the Heritage. So a StreetGlide has to be close.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

There has to be someone out there starting to do all the touring stuff in Carbon Fiber... and I don't mean covering the stock stuff just for show... actually making the parts in CF.

Can you imagine having the option to have the hard bags and Tour Pak all in CF? Carbon Fiber exhaust...Front fairing and lowers, front and rear fenders also in CF. All mounting harness in Titanium.

Same level of functionality, stronger parts, and a heck of a lot lighter. I imagine that a lot of the engine covers are heavy and really could also be made out of CF or some lighter alloy.

It would be great if there was a list of what each part weights to see where the fat is (besides the rider )

Last edited by wachuko; 02-07-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Mattkl
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon fiber parts

I see a few of you have mentioned carbon fiber parts. I have a carbon fiber business and also own a 2007 Ultra. I've been interested to take on this project to lighten mine as well. Since there seems to be a genuine interest from others, what would a honest price range be for those interested in this? I guess I'll start by taking my tour pak and bags off and get some stock weights. I know how heavy the tour pak is and just replacing that in carbon fiber would help bring the center of gravity down a good bit. Okay guys let me know what you think, thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Old School FXRS (06-17-2024)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Question is... Do we know where the weight is?

Is there a list somewhere with the weight of each part to determine where the weight savings can come from? This will help determine if the effort is worth it.

If you take all the painted body pieces out and that only accounts for a minimal amount of weight, meaning everything that is heavy is on the frame, engine, etc... then there is very little that can be gained from this.

The other thing is the quality of the parts. They have to be as good as the factory stuff. I believe we are a proud bunch so the parts need to be nicely finished.

I would still love to have some Carbon fiber pieces for mine... to compliment the Carbon Fiber pipes I plan to install in the future.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Mattkl
I see a few of you have mentioned carbon fiber parts. I have a carbon fiber business and also own a 2007 Ultra. I've been interested to take on this project to lighten mine as well. Since there seems to be a genuine interest from others, what would a honest price range be for those interested in this? I guess I'll start by taking my tour pak and bags off and get some stock weights. I know how heavy the tour pak is and just replacing that in carbon fiber would help bring the center of gravity down a good bit. Okay guys let me know what you think, thanks.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Mattkl
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wachuko
Question is... Do we know where the weight is?

Is there a list somewhere with the weight of each part to determine where the weight savings can come from? This will help determine if the effort is worth it.

The other thing is the quality of the parts. They have to be as good as the factory stuff. I believe we are a proud bunch so the parts need to be nicely finished.

Cheers!
The weight savings is what I'm most interested in knowing as well. Whenever I can get a hold of a scale I will dismantle the Ultra and get some weights.

The quality of my work would be first class of course. If I was to do this I will have them on my own bike after you guys get yours, and I like my bike clean.

Keep the opinions coming!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I took the tour pack off my 97 Ultra last week and replaced it with a backrest/luggage rack in hopes that it would make me like the bike more. So far it has been a success. I had dropped this thing after coming to a stop 3 times in 6K miles since last June.
I like the way it looks as well as the weight savings. I had a back injury @20 years ago that left me paralyzed for a few months and after years of physical therepy the most lasting effects were weak lower legs.
Yesterday we took it on a 200 mile cruise to really get a feel of how it was gonna be and the most significant thing that I noticed was the way it handled with crosswinds. I guess the surface area loss from the sides, especially up high, made the difference. Girlfriend actually felt more comfortable without the wraparound backrest on the tour pack, but her first complaint had been the confinement she felt back there when I first got the bike.
Feels kinda good swinging my leg over it too as compared to having to step through.

Last edited by Lakerat; 03-19-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 AM
cadydid
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Electra Glide lightening

Lightened FLHTP
Originally Posted by legendzzz
I am getting a little older every day and the weight on my Ultra is always making me think of getting rid of my bike for a lighter (SG) ?
Has anyone thought of ways to make the 930 lb monster lighter? I mean has anyone tried to get the weight off by buying Carbon Slip-Ons or take off chrome items and put on plastic items in their place ? Is it even worth it to try or just buy the lighter Tourer.
Or maybe I am just a MAD SCIENTIST , I do come from the 60's , LOL!
Thanks for your answers in advance
Here are things that will make your bike easier to handle:
1. Low profile seat; do not lower the suspension with low blocks or short shocks
2. Remove passing lamps and replace with bullet signals; install fogs under lowers ahead of foot boards. Takes weight off bars and you can see in fog. (fogs not shown in pic)
3. Replace front tire and or wheel assembly with narrower profile from a street glide (not shown)
4. Replace passenger foot boards with mini style from the low series
5. Empty your saddlebags; carry what you must have only, 15lbs max
6. Empty (or remove) your tour pack, store helmets only.
Eat healthier and lighter; I saved 40lbs (protien shake and bananna for breakfast and lunch)

Last edited by cadydid; 10-12-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,910 Likes on 3,214 Posts

Originally Posted by cadydid
Lightened FLHTP

Here are things that will make your bike easier to handle:
1. Low profile seat; do not lower the suspension with low blocks or short shocks
2. Remove passing lamps and replace with bullet signals; install fogs under lowers ahead of foot boards. Takes weight off bars and you can see in fog. (fogs not shown in pic)
3. Replace front tire and or wheel assembly with narrower profile from a street glide (not shown)
4. Replace passenger foot boards with mini style from the low series
5. Empty your saddlebags; carry what you must have only, 15lbs max
6. Empty (or remove) your tour pack, store helmets only.
Eat healthier and lighter; I saved 40lbs (protien shake and bananna for breakfast and lunch)
10 year old thread, and he hasn't logged in for 9 years. He might see it, who knows?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:13 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,526 Likes on 6,273 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
10 year old thread, and he hasn't logged in for 9 years. He might see it, who knows?
HD made a bike for him. I wonder if he bought it.

2012 Switchback

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:23 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,910 Likes on 3,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
HD made a bike for him. I wonder if he bought it.

2012 Switchback
That poster joined around the same time OP left, or died, I wonder if he is just finally getting around to replying?

Quick Reply: Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?