Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the bikes weight is only an issue when you are out of balance, then it gets real heavy!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
Having almost been sucked under the wheels of a big rig I was passing on yamaha virago 750, I'll gladly handle the weight of my UC. I have had the UC in 50+MPH crosswinds and still felt safe because the weight is planted. When riding my wideglide, the winds got so fierce here in Utah, it blew off the face shield on my 1/2 helmet. Winds get wicked at times here in the high desert. I'm sure Harley has that factored in on building touring bikes, and no matter what, the TC96 or larger motors handle the weight just fine......Even as I say that, I have cammed and piped my TC96 for more HP and torque, but at least I had a good base to start from.
havng ridden in the occasional 60 mph crosswinds, Im glad my bike weighed 900 pounds. you don't feel the weight at speed, I suggest becoming a better rider with an advanced riders course for low speed agility. I don't notice much difference with my bike fully loaded and my wife on back. So obviously I didn't notice much difference when I've rented Roadglides and Streetglides without the Tourpak, but thats just me. maybe a softail, dyna or sportster is in your future. A softail still weighs 730 pounds.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighter Glide. All I can think of is to take every thing off of it that doesnt make it go or stop. Then cut, shave, drill holes in every part from motor and frame ect with out it falling apart. Or if you want a HD that runs and weighs about 325 pounds,,,,, get a XR 750,,,,,,,,,, course it will weigh just a lil more when you put lights on it to make it street leagle,,, ha ha......... Man,, I sur would like to have one of those. Shoulnt have sold my KR.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTEFLHTom1948
I am also lightening my FLHT; i removed the saddlebags and guards, the crash bar, the trunk and heavy rack that mounts it, traded my heavy dual gauge pod for a tach that mounts to the handlebar clamp (much lighter),removed the fairing, i went to spoke wheels; 3.5 x 21" with the new Dunlop Elite 3 Radials, and 18" rear, i lowered the rear 1" with Progressive Suspension 12" shocks (big difference)with Sta-Bo bushings in the rear fork Pivot Shaft, and lowering springs in front. There is a much lighter battery (3 lb.s) called a "speed cell", that i'm looking into. I'm running short V&H "Radius" pipes (lighter), and a lightweight plastic gas tank. My bike used to weigh 850 lb.s, now weighs 690 and handles 100% better. It also accelerates like a raped ape
][/QUOTE]

He has giving some ideas on how to get that weight down , he is definitely thinking about it and trying new stuff, have to hand it to him , GREAT JOB! But too much for me, Thanks so much for your ideas!

This is the E mail I received about lowering the bikes weight , it is not 200 lbs like I thought but it is a TON of weight. But this is what I would have to do to get that kind of weight loss.
This changes the bike too much for me and it almost makes it a Cruiser type bike? In which case I could go to the RK and make it an easier weight loser ?
This is a tough thing to do but I believe in the future they will be making Tourer Models that will be light , not light that it will be blown all over the road but a weight that will get better mileage and have a better weight/LBS ratio .
It is coming we can not keep getting heavier and bigger as the Metric market is now seeing.

Last edited by legendzzz; 01-30-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Harley has been one step ahead of you! This hog is fashionable and lightweight at the same time. You'll be the envy of your friends!

Attached Thumbnails Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?-real-hog.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
KevinMcC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give a center stand some thought. Once the bike is upright it's fairly easy to move around. You have the motor to inch it forward, a reverse can be added for moving it backwards. The Ultra rides like an Ultra because of the weight. Mine have always plowed thru anything including some really bad cross winds. I like it just the way it is, a reverse for it is in my future.

Kevin

Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Once it's rolling, it doesn't weigh anything. Hit the gym and keep those legs strong!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

My bike gets 200# lighter when I get off of it

The following users liked this post:
pappy42 (10-12-2021)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

While you're busy trying to make your Ultra into something different without loosing the Ultra (LOL goodluck!), try this...any time you stop to park, make sure you turn the front end to the full right position. I don't practice this due to weight not being an issue for me yet, but have heard a few times now it really helps when lifting her off the stand.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by legendzzz
...or take off chrome items and put on plastic items in their place ?
Oh myyyyyyyyyy! Sounds rather innovative, oh wait, all the hardcore's use this "plastic" theory to bash jap scoots....LOL Ok, nevermind!
Must admit, never thought i would ever read such on a HD site...lol
The irony of it all

Quick Reply: Making a lighter(weight) ultra ?