Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pump Gas: What grade do you use in your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 04:45 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 543 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
But where do you put the gas cap?
I can't give away all my secrets.

Old 08-13-2024, 05:23 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

I noticed yesterday I have a new Shell station opening soon 3/4 of a mile from my house! I'm happy it will have 100% pure gas non ethanol ( with a dedicated hose ) but for now a mystery of what the octane will be?

Old 08-13-2024, 05:27 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

1/3 gal?! That's some long hose to have that much. I guess I could sneak over to every pump at the station and get some free gas for my Sporty.

Old 08-13-2024, 05:34 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,774 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
What you could do in the above scenario if there was no dedicated hose is put 1/3 gallon of gas in your vehicle, where the corn wouldn't matter so much, then fill your chainsaw container with the now-pure gas. You'd still be out 33 cents, but I have a feeling it wouldn't break you.

And if the person at that pump before you used premium you're out nothing!
My "vehicle" is a motorcycle. The 1 gallon chainsaw container is strapped to the luggage rack. You're right, 33 cents isn't going to break me. I liken it to ordering a top shelf mixed drink. The bartender substitutes top shelf for something less expensive but still charges for top shelf. In both cases, I'm being deceived and paying a premium price for goods not delivered.
Also, it's fairly easy to determine what grade was used by the guy before you. Most modern pumps display the previous purchase. Simple math will determine what grade was used.

Old 08-13-2024, 06:17 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,007 Likes on 495 Posts

91 and Ethanol free before winter storage.

Old 08-13-2024, 08:23 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
My "vehicle" is a motorcycle. The 1 gallon chainsaw container is strapped to the luggage rack. You're right, 33 cents isn't going to break me. I liken it to ordering a top shelf mixed drink. The bartender substitutes top shelf for something less expensive but still charges for top shelf. In both cases, I'm being deceived and paying a premium price for goods not delivered.
Also, it's fairly easy to determine what grade was used by the guy before you. Most modern pumps display the previous purchase. Simple math will determine what grade was used.
​​​​​​One time I paid a shop big $$$ to drain and fill my Crown Vic trans with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I had to wait for the parts store to deliver the premium $$ Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, I watched the mechanic change the fluid, check the level, then reach up and grab the bulk fill fluid and pump a few OZ of I think Chevy fluid to top it off before I could stop him! I raised a huge stink and made them drain it and start over and do it again this time with 100% what I paid for and with what would not harm my trans.

Same thing with the single pump gas mixing 1/3 gallon ethanol its not the money its the product like with my ATF, You don't want a few oz of bulk chevy spec trans fluid in a Ford trans and you don't want 1/3 gallon of ethanol in a 1 gal gas tank for you 2 stroke weed eater that needs pure ethanol free gas!

Same with my old Evo, I don't want 1/3 gallon of ethanol in the tank when I put her up for winter and I don't think I want it in my M8 even if its okay to run it, I just hate ethanol that much, the smell alone, smells like drunk old uncle Bob.

The one station I have that sells 93 octane non-ethanol via a shared pump, I think I may buy the saddle bag shape 1 gal gas can so I can keep it in my saddle bag and purge 1/3 or 1/2 a gallon of gas from that shared pump and then just use that 1/3 gallon of gas in a car or for emergency or something, Just a thought...

Saddle Bag Gas Can

Old 08-13-2024, 08:38 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,203 Likes on 3,424 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
My "vehicle" is a motorcycle.
Okay, but even then...if you use the bike regularly, which you obviously do, that small amount of ethanol isn't going to hurt anything.

I must be getting old, because I've stopped worrying about trivial things that used to bother me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dynamick:
bradsULtd (08-15-2024), Keithhu (08-14-2024), NorthWestern (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 08:37 AM
ewhitefo
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefortheborder
Can't say that I've really cared about whether there's ethanol in the hose at a 1-hose pump or not. Whenever it's available, I choose premium whether ethanol-free or not. The only station with ethanol-free is at least 11 miles from home so I don't get there unless it's on the way to somewhere else. In any event, riding around the Nevada back country, you might not get much of a choice. Take that ride to Rachel for an Alienburger lunch at the Little A'le Inn and if you're lucky, the gas station is actually open... regular only. It's not the only place I've been that was like that. I haven't had a fuel-related problem yet (fingers crossed!).
Was just on a trip like that, although everywhere had 91, not everywhere had high traffic and I could feel it, especially when going from empty to full. I filled up at the old uncle bob's bait and bite and by the time I hit 150 miles and stopped to top off, Bike had a big belch out intake and a big bang out exhaust at start up along with little misses at slow and low RPM refilled with name brand busy gas station gas and smooth again.

Old 08-14-2024, 08:50 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

I get it. It's like mixing a 1/4oz Jim Beam in my 3-fingers 15yr Pappy.

The following users liked this post:
Soundman5000 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

A few weeks ago I was getting gas, and across from me a guy was servicing a pump, I asked him about the mix because my shovelhead is real octane sensitive, it will bang like hell with anything less than prenium. I carry an octane booster for when that happens.

Anyways, he gave me a lot of info, he said it's not just what's in the hose, but depends on how the pump is configured. If it has a lot of choices for one hose, the mixing manifold will be larger to allow the input. IE: for a mid grade it mixes premium with regular.
And that's not all, it then goes to a canister with a filter. This can all add up. He said to be sure, just put three gallons in the truck first before filling the can, and that would be more than enough for any pump. That would be fine for the chainsaws and such, but wont work for the bike.
It could possibly be a big percentage if the tank isn't very empty.

The following users liked this post:
Soundman5000 (08-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Pump Gas: What grade do you use in your bike?