Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatcat baffle question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fatcat baffle question....

So I just bought a bike with a d&d fatcat 2-1 on it. Trouble is the bike is being shipped to me and I haven't heard it yet. I read that some people have loud baffle and some have quiet baffle. How would you tell which one it has other than the obvious of listening to it. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D&D visual ID

Can't tell any difference externally, look inside the pipe, the perferated performance look like this picture... the quiet baffle has a long "v" shaped funnel inside, can't tell the differance between the standard (middle of the road) and the load obnoxious one, because the only differance is the packing in the standard; which you can't see

Attached Thumbnails Fatcat baffle question....-img_0697.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

LOL....I haven't ever heard a quiet D&D Fatcat. I had quiet baffles and they were loud, maybe I am getting old.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by captainjack
Can't tell any difference externally, look inside the pipe, the perferated performance look like this picture... the quiet baffle has a long "v" shaped funnel inside, can't tell the differance between the standard (middle of the road) and the load obnoxious one, because the only differance is the packing in the standard; which you can't see
The one with the "V" shaped funnel is the concentric baffle. The new version of the quiet baffle is technically the "wrapped perforated".

The concentric is reasonably quiet. The W.P. is loud. The perforated baffle is obnoxious.

I'm seriously considering selling my Fatcat and getting a set of Bub TDX Stealths.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain

LOL even more!! I hope this pipe rips it up! The only 2-1 I've had was a Rinehart, I never knew how loud it was until my bro-inlaw took it for a spin. I just hope this one can "behave" when I need it to and perform when I want it to!!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,830 Likes on 1,592 Posts

If I'm not mistaken Sallyman is talking about the standard FatCat not the Boss Fatcat - the older FatCat is pictured above. There was No concentric baffle for the old style that I remember. I've owned both FatCats but my memory is probably going...

Anyway, if true, look down the pipe and if the screen is Louvered it is it's the standard baffle which is kinda loud but not bad. The Quiet baffle was louvered as well (I think) but it was wrapped, so if you see wrap...

Something like that.

Also, the quiet baffle in the Boss FatCat (for 09+ bikes) is louder than the standard baffle in the older FatCat... so you might be ok. Point is the new FatCat is friggin loud as heck no matter what baffle you have in it. The Old FatCat...not so much.

lp

Last edited by lp; 01-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
If I'm not mistaken Sallyman is talking about the standard FatCat not the Boss Fatcat - the older FatCat is pictured above. There was No concentric baffle for the old style that I remember. I've owned both FatCats but my memory is probably going...

Anyway, if true, look down the pipe and if the screen is Louvered it is it's the standard baffle which is kinda loud but not bad. The Quiet baffle was louvered as well (I think) but it was wrapped, so if you see wrap...

Something like that.

Also, the quiet baffle in the Boss FatCat (for 09+ bikes) is louder than the standard baffle in the older FatCat... so you might be ok. Point is the new FatCat is friggin loud as heck no matter what baffle you have in it. The Old FatCat...not so much.
Good call, that's a skinny rear tire, so it's the older Fatcat.

I love their pipes, they make stupid power with no torque dip, but dayum they're loud.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain

you may be right, I don't know when it was installed. I just want more torque and sound than my td's. Would an alternate shot of this system help it be identified??

Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My initial thought when I got my fatcat was that it was too quiet. After coming from fishtails with no baffles it was. That looks like the "standard" baffle to me. At least that is what I call. But, if it is wrapped and been on for a while there is a good chance you won't be able to see the wrapping as it gets charred and such. My bike is an 02 and I think we have the same baffle.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain

Oh yes, it's a 2007 - so I assume it's the older d&d by what you all have told me. In saying that does it sound really good & loud? hehe!!

Quick Reply: Fatcat baffle question....