Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatcat baffle question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,830 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallyman
Oh yes, it's a 2007 - so I assume it's the older d&d by what you all have told me. In saying that does it sound really good & loud? hehe!!
It's going to sound awesome. D&D really made their name (for touring bikes) with that pipe. Standard or Quiet baffle you'll probably find it sounds great. Performance is up there too...

lp

Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the Fat Cat and ordered the Quiet Baffle. Its innards looks like the one pictured. It isn't very loud at all. my wife says its no0t loud at all. The addition of cams and compression change will change that.

**** My bike is an 09 ****

Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Fatcat, there is no way to know what baffle you have without taking it out of the muffler. You can't see the packing because it's on the outside of the baffle body.

The louvered standard baffle has the same louvered core, but has a solid outer can.
The louvered quiet baffle has the same louvered core, but has a perforated outer can with packing wrapped around it.

If you get lucky, you can look thru the louvers with a strong flashlight and see what the outer can of the baffle looks like.......but it's tough to do.

Steve

Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default concentric quiet

Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallyman
LOL even more!! I hope this pipe rips it up! The only 2-1 I've had was a Rinehart, I never knew how loud it was until my bro-inlaw took it for a spin. I just hope this one can "behave" when I need it to and perform when I want it to!!
You pretty much described my D&D experience on my Street Glide. At cruise and light throttle it is just fine but crack the throttle and the pipe really barks.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding Captain Jack's picture of the concentric baffle, so if I find out mine is the older d&d that doesn't have this and instead the wrapped one. Is it possible to change out the baffle or does the pipe have to be ordered that way?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my understanding you can change the baffles in the new ones, not very easily but it can be done, not sure at all about the older ones, I'd give D&D a call to get more specific information about the ones you have

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Fat Cat on an '03 had the performance baffle, it rattled my brains! I went with the quiet baffle, looked the same but wrapped. Now that I did the engine work it's louder but low pitched. I feel bad for the neighbors in the morning. (sometimes)

Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The wrapped baffle is difficult to get out as the wrapping kind of glues itself to the muffler body, but some people have been able to get it out. Try to get it out before you order a new baffle and take it from there.

Drew

Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wrapped quiet baffle is a bitch to get out of the muffler, the tape that is used to hold the wrapping on the baffle melts to the muffler and doesn't want to give. My next attempt at removing the baffle will be with the muffler hot at full temp, hopefully that will allow the baffle to move freely. Steve

Quick Reply: Fatcat baffle question....