Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
interesting test... does your fans blow left to right or right to left?...
L to R, as designed.

Last edited by 2black1s; 09-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Springer Man
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system

There is another cooling system that blows away the Lenale and Harley fan. They are called "Love Jugs" and this system is many times more powerful and effective than the lenale fan. The system has two fans each much more powerful than the single Lenale fan. They look amazing on my springer.

They blow tons of air directly onto the jugs, not between them like the other systems. I know, I bought all three systems and the difference is remarkable. My first Lenale burned up after two weeks.

Dave...Springer Man

Attached Thumbnails Engine Cooling Test Data-img_6651-2-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Springer Man
There is another cooling system that blows away the Lenale and Harley fan. They are called "Love Jugs" and this system is many times more powerful and effective than the lenale fan. The system has two fans each much more powerful than the single Lenale fan. They look amazing on my springer.

They blow tons of air directly onto the jugs, not between them like the other systems. I know, I bought all three systems and the difference is remarkable. My first Lenale burned up after two weeks.

Dave...Springer Man
Those look interesting. I don't bring anything up on a google of Love Jugs. You got a link to their website ? I've been running the lenale fan for a year now with no issues, does it's job, kinda noisy. But always interested in new stuff.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Dave...Springer Man
Interesting configuration and I'm sure they do work well.

How did you determine that their performance "blows away" the HD or LeNale?

Any testing? Any data? Or is it just your gut feel?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Dave...Springer Man
Well Sumbeech, it would appear I'm a day late and a dollar short again. I've been working on a project with the same basic concept, actually finishing up the wiring right now. I've set up a completely automatic switch sytem for mine; when the CHTs are above 260 and the bike is under 35 MPH, it automatically comes on, accelerate above 35 it turns back off. Haven't got to test it thoroughly yet, but I used the same basic methodology as 2black1's test with 1 minute intervals and it keeps CHTs below 280F. I can't find the Love Jugs manufacturer either, so I won't be posting any details or pics just yet.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read someone's post a few months ago that they weren't convinced an oil cooler made enough difference to justify the cost. We had an extremely hot summer here in Oklahoma. The only thing I can attest to is that the oil pressure on my '09 Ultra Classic ran noticeably higher than it did before I had the oil cooler installed. What that says about the benefit of an oil cooler I couldn't tell you but I'm convinces an oil cooler is a valuable addition.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Springer Man
2nd Gear
Default Love Jugs

I bought them at Octoberfest in Daytona Beach. They had a test table set up with the Harley, Lenale and Love jugs setup. The demonstration was so impressive I had to have it on my Ultra. They also had a ultra ideling for 12 hours in 87 degree heat with the cooling system on and the engine was not even close to overheating, proven with a thermal heat guage.

The company said that they plan to introduce this cooling system towards the end of November.

To answer your question about the love jugs compared to Lenale...I have both systems, like the company claims...."Ridicously Superior" Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

I bought them at Octoberfest in Daytona Beach. They had a test table set up with the Harley, Lenale and Love jugs setup. The demonstration was so impressive I had to have it on my Ultra. They also had a ultra ideling for 12 hours in 87 degree heat with the cooling system on and the engine was not even close to overheating, proven with a thermal heat guage.

The company said that they plan to introduce this cooling system towards the end of November.

To answer your question about the love jugs compared to Lenale...I have both systems, like the company claims...."Ridicously Superior" Hope this helps.
Thanks. Like I said earlier, I like that system and I’m sure it works well.

But to call its performance “Ridiculously Superior” to another product without presenting any scientific data to substantiate that claim is irresponsible in my eyes. They may very well be – but let’s see some evidence other than a manufacturer’s claim.

I’d like to see the test demonstration they had set up comparing the three systems mentioned. What parameters were they measuring for the comparisons? Were the three set-ups identical other than the fans? Stuff like that. It’s not too hard to stack the deck in your favor when you have a desired outcome.

And for the demonstration of an Ultra idling for 12 hours in 87 degree temperatures, what were they measuring with the thermal heat gauge? Not that I doubt it’s possible, I know it is based on my testing, but what temperatures were they measuring and at what part of the engine?

In my testing using a single fan, I could idle my bike indefinitely and never see cylinder head temps in excess of 246(F) degrees, although those tests were performed at an ambient temperature of 72(F) degrees. It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison to testing at 87 degrees, but nevertheless it shows that a single fan can be effective.

And one final point. I put a significant effort into my testing to make it as objective and accurate as possible. I was not, and am not, trying to sell anything and therefore had nothing to gain regardless of the results. I was simply sharing what I had learned with others on this forum.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not putting down the “Love Jugs” system. I’m simply questioning the “Ridiculously Superior” claim in the absence of hard data to back it up.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Springer Man
2nd Gear
Default Harley Cooling System

Hi 2black1s,

If you respond with your e-mail address, I will send you some pictures and include the test table pictures I took at Biketoberfest. They even had the cooling system running completely underwater in a fish tank.

On the Velosity test I was shown an advertisement from Lenale claiming 130 mile per hour wind velosity. The wind guage showed 5-6 miles per hour at the rear jug. Talk about a ridiculous claim. This one has to take the cake. How can they say that? Stick your hand out of the car window at 130 mph and see what happens. Imagine a small 12 volt fan being able to do that? Beyond ridiculous. It's a down right lie to the 10th. degree.

Like I said, I have all three systems and have used them all extensively on my bikes. The love jugs are so much more powerful and the performance is so obvious as soon as you activate them. I wish you had a pair so you could do a side by side comparasion, I know that you would be shocked at the results! I certainly was.

Think about this fact, how could one fan with less cfm's and less velocity cool the oven between your legs as well as two far more powerful fans properly directed at the same oven? Makes sense?

This is a very interesting topic and I am happy to share my quest for the best Harley cooling system available. I have never been happier with an aftermarket product for my Harleys. (Heritage Springer and Ultra Classic)

The bonus to solving my heat issues is that they look absolutely stunning on my Harleys. I would love to send you some pics. Thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Hi 2black1s,

If you respond with your e-mail address, I will send you some pictures and include the test table pictures I took at Biketoberfest...
Springer Man - I tried to PM you but that option wasn't available. See if you can PM me. Maybe you need a few more posts before the PM function is available. At any rate, some discussion could prove interesting.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data