Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
I have been using the LeNale engine cooling fan for a few years now. I installed it because of PGR missions. I also have the HD premium oil cooler, no fan on it.
Before the fan the engine would go into heat mode and would stagger. ... ... .... Haven't had any stuttering or staggering since.
Thanks for the write up.
Me too, the Lenale Fan is great at cooling the heads down. Not as hot on my knee than the heads were on my thighs before I got it.

Can anyone tell me what year H.D. implemented the Heat Mode where the back cylinder shuts down and basically pumps air ?
I ride a 2007 Dyna Twin Cam 96ci

Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 AM
echowind
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have tried and tried to contact the people at lenale to inquire about the water issues regarding the fans they sell and have gotten zero responses, are these guys reputable?their product is expensive and their seems to be a lot of complaints by the posts i have read. anyone have an opinion? thanks

Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Wash my bike at least once a week at the local car wash. My lenale fan gets wet every time I wash the bike and still works as new. Has been on the bike for the last 5000 miles.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by echowind
i have tried and tried to contact the people at lenale to inquire about the water issues regarding the fans they sell and have gotten zero responses, are these guys reputable? .. .. ... ..
Have you tried this email ? lenale_engineering@comcast.net

It takes about one business day for a return but I "always" got a return message. They've been great with me, even shipped me the Deustch plug (that I lost) for free.

I hope you are not trying to go thru the reseller, heard many bad stories there. Go straight to Lenale. Had mine now since last October. Use it every time I'm at a long traffic light.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Have you tried this email ? lenale_engineering@comcast.net

It takes about one business day for a return but I "always" got a return message. They've been great with me, even shipped me the Deustch plug (that I lost) for free.

I hope you are not trying to go thru the reseller, heard many bad stories there. Go straight to Lenale. Had mine now since last October. Use it every time I'm at a long traffic light.
I have had great support through LeNale. The email address posted is correct. If you type it in don't miss the underscore between lenale and engineering. It gets lost when looking at the link.

My fan has been installed since January and to tell you the truth, I can't imagine riding a newer touring bike in CA without having one of these. If I were buying a new bike today this would be one of the first additions to it I'd make.

It really works. Look at the test data at the beginning of this thread. You can also follow the links in the OP to see additional testing that I documented in another thread.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of that data looks great and since you were so meticulous in your analysis, did you take in consideration the voltage fluctuation and the plus or minus tolerance in the electric fan(s) that could cause it to run at different speeds depending on the voltage fluctuation because of the voltage demand on the other curcuits?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
All of that data looks great and since you were so meticulous in your analysis, did you take in consideration the voltage fluctuation and the plus or minus tolerance in the electric fan(s) that could cause it to run at different speeds depending on the voltage fluctuation because of the voltage demand on the other curcuits?
No! But those kind of minor variances are insignificant to the fans operation. Think about it - you could ask the same question of any electronic component on the bike.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM
bikehe
Tourer

I'd like to thank the OP for starting this thread and putting so much detail into the test data. I was close to pulling tyhe trigger on an oil cooler but I ended up buying the Lanele fan instead. Just finished installing it the other day and for those of you that are concerned about it failing just like I was, I must say that this fan does appear to have some ruggedness to it. It has a marine switch, the fan motor appears to have decent bearings or bushes and they dont seem to be exposed. I wouldnt put a hose in there but take care when you wash the bike and water damage shouldnt occur. The electrics have some sort of black silicone on them including the wire entry into the motor and marine switch, so it should have a respectasble IP rating. I have confidence in the fan lasting from what I've seen but only time will tell. I gotta say though the dam thing sounds like a turbine when it gets started and throws out alot of air.Thanks again 2blacks1 for posting this info.

Last edited by bikehe; 04-02-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Tomz1178
6th Gear

I to intend to get the lenale, this post is also to get my post count up to also be able to view picts an such, iI registered a couple weeks ago was wondering how many posts before can access pics and links?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck1
Nobody leaves later bikes idling.
If you're lucky enough to live where traffic jams aren't a problem that's true, but if you're not you'll find yourself a lot of times stuck idling. That's when my RK gets hot so the OP's post is good info.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data