Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Hi.
I won't know until April how much I like the way it rides up here in Michigan. I was going to wait a few more years before I got a King but that dam Motor vibration in my FXDC drove me nuts. I came so very very close to buying a Polaris bike but I just couldn't pull my self away from owning a Harley.
When I do get around to buying a fan, I'm not 100% sure if I will hook it to the accessory switch or not. I haven't looked in to that yet.
Yea I remember you telling that on the Dyna forum when you traded.
Those cold winter's gotta be rough. Don't think I could go for that especially the older I get. It's been in the 30's at night and 50's in the day quite a few weeks this year in Florida. Can still ride but need 2 Tee shirts and Hunting vest. Course I guess you guys could probably ride in the 50's with no shirt LOL.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Jackie999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Thanks for the report, great data. I'm amazed by the replies that seem to infer that 3k rpms or testing with the bike moving have any relavence to the Lenale Fan test. Do they even know what the fan was designed for ?
I was thinking exactly the same. Guess the answer must be they don't. 2black1s,,, Great report & Data! Thank you for taking the time and sharing the info.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a question.

Isn't it the internal engine temperature that may be causing wear and damage? It's one thing to cool the outside of the engine with a fan but how much difference in the engine oil temperature would the same test yeild? Shouldn't it be the engine oil temperature differences that should be monitored?

Did I miss something here? The computer fans will not last long on the oil cooler.

Last edited by shortride; 02-04-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by shortride
I've got a question.

Isn't it the internal engine temperature that may be causing wear and damage? It's one thing to cool the outside of the engine with a fan but how much difference in the engine oil temperature would the same test yeild? Shouldn't it be the engine oil temperature differences that should be monitored?

Did I miss something here? The computer fans will not last long on the oil cooler.
Well not as much as you would think. I've read that H.D. did make an earlier engine that pumped the oil into the head area, and in that case cooling the oil would play a larger role. However whether you are cooling oil or cooling the engine, it all boils down to air cooling. The cylinder fins are how the heat is transferred from the internal engine to the air. Water cooled engines have water channels to carry the heat. But for air cooled the fins are the only way the heat can dissipate. Additionally the fan attacks the heat at the hottest source area which is the heads.

The H.D. parade fans were problematic and did not last that long. However the Lenale fans have a much better track record as reported from owners.

(edit add)->But hopefully he will be able to publish the oil test later.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I've got a question.

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Well not as much as you would think. I've read that H.D. did make an earlier engine that pumped the oil into the head area, and in that case cooling the oil would play a larger role. However whether you are cooling oil or cooling the engine, it all boils down to air cooling. The cylinder fins are how the heat is transferred from the internal engine to the air. Water cooled engines have water channels to carry the heat. But for air cooled the fins are the only way the heat can dissipate. Additionally the fan attacks the heat at the hottest source area which is the heads.

The H.D. parade fans were problematic and did not last that long. However the Lenale fans have a much better track record as reported from owners.

(edit add)->But hopefully he will be able to publish the oil test later.
R_W_B answered shotride's question pretty well. But let me add to that explanation just a little.

Isn't it the internal engine temperature that may be causing wear and damage?

Yes that is correct (although I don't know how you would distinguish between internal and external - engine temp is engine temp). So in order to control the internal temps the heat generated has to go somewhere. On a HD air-cooled engine the majority of that heat is dissipated through the engine's cooling fins. Therefore the airflow from the fan across the cooling fins assists in the dissipation of internal engine heat. Remember this fan is only effective when the bike is stopped or moving at very low speed. At normal speeds the bike is generating it's own airflow.

It's one thing to cool the outside of the engine with a fan but how much difference in the engine oil temperature would the same test yeild? Shouldn't it be the engine oil temperature differences that should be monitored?

I don't have any hard data to answer this question quantitatively but relatively simple physics of heat transfer apply here. The more engine heat that is removed through the engine cooling fins, the less heat there is remaining to be transfered into the oil. Therefore lower oil temps will result.

The computer fans will not last long on the oil cooler.

Time will tell. You may be completely correct here but let's give them a chance. I did modify the fans in an attempt to improve their durability and reliability before installing them.

Last edited by 2black1s; 02-05-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
DaFrankster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you modify your fan for better reliability?

D-

Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DaFrankster
How did you modify your fan for better reliability?

D-
Here's an excerpt from a white paper I've written on this "engine cooling" topic and describes the fan modifications. I'll also attach a few pics. One pic is of a third fan that I've added to the backside of the oil cooler since originally writing this thread. It shows some of the epoxy encapsulation of the wiring. Another pic shows the conformal coating applied to the fans internal circuitry, and the final pic is of all three fans assembled to the oil cooler and ready for installation to the bike.

"Two 60mm x 60mm x 15mm, 15.6 CFM, 12 V computer fans were selected for installation to the factory oil cooler. These are the largest standard sized fans that can be mounted to the factory oil cooler in its stock location while still providing adequate clearance for the front fender during suspension travel and steering inputs.

Prior to installation, the computer fans were disassembled and modified by conformal coating and/or epoxy encapsulation of all electronic circuitry. This was necessary to improve reliability expectations of the fans in the harsh environment of a motorcycle that clearly exceeds the original designed-to environment.

Following the described modification, the fan bearings/bushings were lubricated with a high temp molybdenum bearing grease. The fans were then reassembled, mounted to the factory oil cooler, and wired to the accessory plug under the seat controlled by the accessory switch on the inner fairing cap."

Attached Thumbnails Engine Cooling Test Data-oil-cooler-fans-001.jpg   Engine Cooling Test Data-oil-cooler-fans-002.jpg   Engine Cooling Test Data-oil-cooler-fans-013.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
turbotony
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you send the pictures to me.....gmamicro@gmail.com.....I am registered but cant view pictures....hmm

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotony
I am registered but cant view pictures....hmm
Just a few more posts and you will be Golden.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:22 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using the LeNale engine cooling fan for a few years now. I installed it because of PGR missions. I also have the HD premium oil cooler, no fan on it.
Before the fan the engine would go into heat mode and would stagger. This little fan looks good and does a good job in helping keep the engine less hot.
Yes it does produce some heat at your right knee but not that bad. I have been stuck in 90+ degrees for a hour or more running less than 20 mph +- and the fan did what is designed to do, Haven't had any stuttering or staggering since.
Thanks for the write up.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data