Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Nice job, you definately packaged the results nicely. Don't know if you are interested, but I would be curious to see the results of the same test running only the cooler fans, and one running only the parade fan. I never monitored my CHTs, so it would also be interesting to see the CHT relationship to oil temps. Again very nice project, you did a great job.
This latest test was with only the parade fan.

Similar testing of only the oil cooler fans is planned but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

As far as the relationship between cylinder head temps and oil temps, I'd think that the cylinder head temps have a much greater effect on oil temps than oil temps would have on cylinder head temps. And I have no plans to test that theory.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s

As far as the relationship between cylinder head temps and oil temps, I'd think that the cylinder head temps have a much greater effect on oil temps than oil temps would have on cylinder head temps.

My understanding is that Harley's early testing with the Twin Cam bore this out, as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
This latest test was with only the parade fan.

Similar testing of only the oil cooler fans is planned but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

As far as the relationship between cylinder head temps and oil temps, I'd think that the cylinder head temps have a much greater effect on oil temps than oil temps would have on cylinder head temps. And I have no plans to test that theory.
Thanks, looks like you was right, the motor fan was cooling the most. Now I got to do a Search for pics of the fan installed. From what I have seen on here Eastern Performance is the best place to buy them and be sure you get the real deal...Great job and thanks again.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a pic of the hd parade fan installed

Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering what the stock EITMS lower head temps on rear cyl only and how much and differents in cyl 1&2, are they sacrificing front cyl. Just wondering!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the report, great data. I'm amazed by the replies that seem to infer that 3k rpms or testing with the bike moving have any relavence to the Lenale Fan test. Do they even know what the fan was designed for ?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by Bodean46
I've had mine on since 07 with no problems. I do see knock-off fans that look like Lenale but i ordered mine fro Eastern Performance to be sure it's the real deal.
I bought mine from Eastern but the papers did not include support contact. When I did track down Lenale's phone number he was very helpful. He said the support contact papers should have been in the order.
LenaleEngineering has a legitament store on Ebay.
http://stores.ebay.com/LeNale-Harley-Cooling-Systems

Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Thanks for the report, great data. I'm amazed by the replies that seem to infer that 3k rpms or testing with the bike moving have any relevance to the Lenale Fan test. Do they even know what the fan was designed for ?
Yep, I noticed that too.
Last Summer we got stuck in heavy traffic on a hot day, I was wishing I had one then. I would assume on a hot day like 90 deg it wouldn't cool down as much, but I think it would still help a lot when you cant move the bike in traffic.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Smile Hey Guy

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Yep, I noticed that too.
Last Summer we got stuck in heavy traffic on a hot day, I was wishing I had one then. I would assume on a hot day like 90 deg it wouldn't cool down as much, but I think it would still help a lot when you cant move the bike in traffic.
Good to hear from ya on the Dyna forum again (edit-, opps didn't realize this thread ain't on the Dyna forum). How you liken that Road King. Got that nice smooth profiling ride does it?

Yep I live down in Florida and I didn't have fried thighs very long before I put both an oil cooler and the Lenale Fan on. It really blows some hot air away from the heads area. It doesn't burn my knee, but my thighs don't burn as bad as they did before I got it. On a dresser (like yours) it hooks up to the dash accessory switch which is great. But on on Dyna it can be a bit awkward to reach the switch on the fan with my right hand (while my left if on clutch) in slow rolling traffic where you don't stop enough to put it in neutral. I sometimes end up leaving it on longer than necessary to avoid this. I plan to put a waterproof toggle on the right side of my bars to aleviate this.
Later...

Last edited by R_W_B; 02-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Good to hear from ya on the Dyna forum again (edit-, opps didn't realize this thread ain't on the Dyna forum). How you liken that Road King. Got that nice smooth profiling ride does it?

Yep I live down in Florida and I didn't have fried thighs very long before I put both an oil cooler and the Lenale Fan on. It really blows some hot air away from the heads area. It doesn't burn my knee, but my thighs don't burn as bad as they did before I got it. On a dresser (like yours) it hooks up to the dash accessory switch which is great. But on on Dyna it can be a bit awkward to reach the switch on the fan with my right hand (while my left if on clutch) in slow rolling traffic where you don't stop enough to put it in neutral. I sometimes end up leaving it on longer than necessary to avoid this. I plan to put a waterproof toggle on the right side of my bars to aleviate this.
Later...
Hi.
I won't know until April how much I like the way it rides up here in Michigan. I was going to wait a few more years before I got a King but that dam Motor vibration in my FXDC drove me nuts. I came so very very close to buying a Polaris bike but I just couldn't pull my self away from owning a Harley.
When I do get around to buying a fan, I'm not 100% sure if I will hook it to the accessory switch or not. I haven't looked in to that yet.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data