Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Springer Man
Hi 2black1s

I mentioned your test of the Lenale fan to the manufactures of the Love Jugs Harley engine cooling system. They asked me to contact you and offer you a set of "Love Jugs" to use (No Charge) to do a head to head comparison of the two different systems. I think it's a great idea, what do you think? If your up for it, let me know, I'll put you in contact with them to arrange the shipping. This will be very interesting and helpful to all Harley owners.
Would be interesting to see the results of that one.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice write up and testing. I just installed the HD Oil Temp. guage where the Air Temp guage was. The highest engine temp I have recorded was 195. Is the normal for an 2001 88 engine?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM
pappy42
Cruiser

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
Nice write up and testing. I just installed the HD Oil Temp. guage where the Air Temp guage was. The highest engine temp I have recorded was 195. Is the normal for an 2001 88 engine?
I'd say that it is. The caveot being riding conditions and ambient air temperatures.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
If you are reading the new gauge you installed, you are not reading engine temp, you are reading oil temp. They are not the same thing and there is no predictable relationship between the two. Engine temp is cylinder head temperature read by the OEM sensor in the front head, and it changes much faster than oil temp. Another consideration is that the HD gauge is notorious for "reading" low, the scale is out of whack. If you have changed anything on your bike it will be difficult to associate normal.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:20 AM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OIC...Thanks Fab..

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 996 Posts

Another consideration is that the HD gauge is notorious for "reading" low, the scale is out of whack. If you have changed anything on your bike it will be difficult to associate normal.
Make sure that your oil is at the high mark then take a ride and bring the oil to running temperature, then stop with the engine running pull the dip stick and insert a digital meat thermometer (available at Harbor Freight for about $4) and let it come to temperature and compare the two. The digital meat thermometers are pretty acurate, but you can check them against boiling water. Remember that water boils at lower temps the higher the altitude.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Ok. It's been a few months since I've posted anything in this thread. This post is going to talk about the LeNale fan's reliability. A little over a year since installing the fan I am still a big-time proponent for the cooling capability of the fan and can't imagine I'll ever be without it, or something comparable, but the reliability I have experienced leaves a little to be desired.

About a month ago (approximately one year and 20,000 miles since installing) the fan quit working. It would work intermittently but I couldn't rely upon it. I believe the failure was caused by prolonged exposure to the engine's vibration. Tapping the fan with a hammer would cause it to start and/or stop. That tells me that whatever is causing the fan not to work is vibration related.

So, last week I installed another new fan. This time though, I wanted to provide better isolation from the engine vibration. I ended up making a new bracket that mounts to the frame backbone rather than the original horn bracket that is mounted to the engine. Now the fan sees much less vibration. I remember putting my hand on the fan while riding along at speed when it was mounted in the standard configuration and it was subject to some pretty intense and constant vibration. Now with the new mounting under those same conditions it as smooth as silk. We'll see how long this fan lasts - hopefully much longer.

The new bracket was a little challenging due to the tight clearance between the frame backbone and the gas tank. I actually had to grind the heads of the bolts down after they were installed and torqued, and dimple the tunnel of the gas tank to provide adequate clearance. If I were doing it again, I would cut a slot in the bottom edge of the frame backbone and slide the bracket into the frame rather than bolting it to the outside of the frame as I have done this go-around. If the bracket slid up into the frame the clearance issues would go away.

Another option for mounting the bracket is to simply weld it to the frame, but I didn't want to do that because it would more than likely be a hinderence for any future engine work. I wanted it to be removable when necessary.

Anyways, I just thought I'd provide this update for all of you guys that have been following this thread. I'm still a staunch believer - just need to improve the reliability factor a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Engine Cooling Test Data-lenale-fan-bracket-001.jpg   Engine Cooling Test Data-lenale-fan-bracket-003.jpg   Engine Cooling Test Data-lenale-fan-bracket-004.jpg   Engine Cooling Test Data-lenale-fan-bracket-005.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 03-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
akjeff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somehow missed this thread. First, thanks for taking the time to share your findings! Nicely done. While I don't need one living up here, if I ever do a summer trip to the lower 48, I'd definitely give it some consideration. My bike just simply doesn't get all that hot up here. Even when there's a traffic jam, I've yet to have the EITM kick in, and have yet to see my oil get overly hot(250+). Also think your frame mounted fan idea is a better mousetrap for sure!

Jeff

Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you're definately onto something there. Nice job on the chassis bracket. Now we wait. Hope this extends the life of your motor.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting that's an interesting application. You did a nice job on it, but can't help but wonder you had to be very carefull drilling and tapping those holes, on my Dyna there is the wiring harness in there.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data