Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had the Lenale fan for 2 years and it just plain works. It doesn't just blow air between the cylinders, it also whips air around them. I have no doubt that the "Love Jugs" are effective at reducing cylinder temps, but they leave a bit to be desired in the looks department. Stunning? Really.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I read someone's post a few months ago that they weren't convinced an oil cooler made enough difference to justify the cost. We had an extremely hot summer here in Oklahoma. The only thing I can attest to is that the oil pressure on my '09 Ultra Classic ran noticeably higher than it did before I had the oil cooler installed. What that says about the benefit of an oil cooler I couldn't tell you but I'm convinces an oil cooler is a valuable addition.
Well, that would be backwards. Cool oil runs at a higher pressure than hot oil. Just check your gauge when you first start up, compared to after running for 30 minutes.....

If yours now runs at a higher pressure, it would be because of additional resistance to pumping the oil through the cooler (I think?).

Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM
flhrc07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job need a test bike mine is all urs, gonna need it this summer on the gulf coast. Great research done. Who says the little guy cannot make it!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
bullet 10
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2black1s
All you engineers out there are gonna love this! Earlier this week I installed some oil cooler fans and a LeNale engine cooling fan to my 2011 Limited. You can see the install at https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/603524-engine-cooling.html

Today I did some testing to quantify how well the fans perform. These results are for the LeNale engine fan. I had a little trouble with my oil temp monitoring set-up so I need to repeat that part of the testing another time.

Here’s the test methodology used for the engine fan:
(Ambient temperature was 70 – 72 degrees F during testing)

1)Ride bike to get to operating temperature.
2)Connect the bike (Power Commander) to computer to read
engine temp through PCV software. The PCV displays the ECM
reading of the cylinder head temperature.
3)Run the bike at idle (1,000 rpm) with fan on to establish baseline
temp.
4)Record engine temp.
5) Turn fan off and continue to run at idle until the Engine Idle
Temperature Management System (EITMS) activates. The
system activates at approximately 290 degrees F.
6)Record engine temp and time.
7)Turn on fan.
8) Monitor and record engine temperature vs. time.
9) Turn off fan when engine temp stabilizes at lowest value attainable.
10) Repeat steps 3 - 9.

And here’s the test data:

With fan ON - 244.4 deg F baseline. Time (T) = 0 minutes

Turn fan OFF @ T+0
293.0 @ T+2 (EITMS activated)
Turn fan ON @ T+2
296.6 @ T+2’15”
276.8 @ T+3
262.4 @ T+4
255.2 @ T+5
249.8 @ T+6
246.2 @ T+7
244.4 @ T+7’30”
244.4 @ T+9 (temp stabilized)
Turn fan OFF @ T+9
266.0 @ T+10
293.0 @ T+11 (EITMS activated)
Turn fan ON @ T+11
298.4 @ T+11’15”
280.0 @ T+12
266.0 @ T+13
258.8 @ T+14
251.6 @ T+15
248.0 @ T+16
246.2 @ T+17
246.2 @ T+19 (temp stabilized)
End of Test

Summary:

I am very encouraged with the results and believe the addition of the fan was most definitely a worthwhile modification. Engine temps with fan running were 50+ degrees cooler than without. The engine temp would clearly exceed 300 deg F at idle with the fan OFF if I let it run to that point. With the fan ON the engine temp never exceeded 246.2 deg F.

One of the really cool things was to hear the EITMS disengage within a minute or two of kicking on the fan. That alone makes this mod worth it to me.

We’ll see how this works out when the ambient temps go up this summer, but regardless of the actual temps, it sure feels good to know that they’re 50+ degrees lower than they would have been without installing the fan.

EDIT: 1-27-2011 9:27 pm. I'm adding this to address a couple of responses I've gotten relative to running the bike down the road at speed. The purpose of this test was to simulate the effects of being stuck in traffic. Stop and go. Nothing more, nothing less. The relevance of this test, or the fans themselves, is nil if you try to apply it to a bike travelling down the highway at speed. My fault for not clearly stating the purpose in the original post.

EDIT: 2-23-2011, Re-ran the oil cooler fan test and here's the results... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html
Hope your LENALE FAN last longer than mine did (4 months) quit when most need it. Good luck getting in touch with Lenale after failure. Left 4 messages, never returned my call.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LeNale has worked very well on my Tri Glide. I just flip the ACC switch on when traffic slows and turn it off once it gits moving again. On 80-85 degree days my oil temps run around the 230 degree range on the hiway. Slowing down for traffic it starts toward 240 degrees right a way, so I flip the ACC switch on and the OT holds between 230 and 240 degrees. Once traffic picks up I switch the fan off and the OTs are back to the 230 degree range. I have the stock oil cooler that came on the trike.(2011)

Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Default Lenale fan

As I posted before GOOD LUCK.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Hope your LENALE FAN last longer than mine did (4 months) quit when most need it. Good luck getting in touch with Lenale after failure. Left 4 messages, never returned my call.
Sorry to hear you had problems. I've had the LeNale fan for 2 years with no problems. I recently bought another one for my RKC. I had problems with the output of the new fan right out of the box. My email to LeNale Engineering was answered in 1 hour, and a replacement fan arrived in 3 days.

DJK

Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't find anything on google about 'Love Jugs' except, well, x-rated content...

Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Springer Man
2nd Gear
Default Comparing and testing of Harley cooling systems.

Hi 2black1s

I mentioned your test of the Lenale fan to the manufactures of the Love Jugs Harley engine cooling system. They asked me to contact you and offer you a set of "Love Jugs" to use (No Charge) to do a head to head comparison of the two different systems. I think it's a great idea, what do you think? If your up for it, let me know, I'll put you in contact with them to arrange the shipping. This will be very interesting and helpful to all Harley owners.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Springer Man
Hi 2black1s

I mentioned your test of the Lenale fan to the manufactures of the Love Jugs Harley engine cooling system. They asked me to contact you and offer you a set of "Love Jugs" to use (No Charge) to do a head to head comparison of the two different systems. I think it's a great idea, what do you think? If your up for it, let me know, I'll put you in contact with them to arrange the shipping. This will be very interesting and helpful to all Harley owners.
can you post a link or contact info to Love Jugs Harley cooling system?

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Test Data