Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 01:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by audettd
First ask yourself why you want to camp. Is it because you want to save some $$$ while enjoying your ride...I can totally understand that. My wife and I do a lot of touring and if we can save a few bucks here and there that's great...but at what price? My point is we found that traveling all day we want somewhere comfortable to lay our heads...with a shower...but to each his own. I know some riders like the feeling of sleeping out under the stars during the riding season and I appreciate that...but its not for us. I was going to go down the camping route when we first start touring...but its just to rough of a riding season where we live. Weather can be bad from start of the ride til the end....and the last thing I think we need is trying to setup and take down in the rain..besides not having a good night sleep. I wouldn't go crazy buying equipment til you try it a few times (if you haven't already). ..try it in bad weather as well as good weather. Best of luck on your touring and the whole point is to enjoy it no matter where you rest your head.
There's a lot of truth here.

In the summer when it's over 100 degrees, the last thing I want to do is sleep outside. In the spring and fall when it's in the 40s overnight, it wouldn't be too bad, other than having to pack up a wet tent and gear (dew and condensation). Then there's the simple fact that if you're packing your lodging and kitchen, you've got less room for your stuff.

I thought about it. I'd like to do it once, maybe. But overall, the romantic idea of bike camping is crushed by the reality of bike camping.

Old 01-27-2011 | 01:25 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

I took my Northface to Sturgis this year and it performed flawlessly. It stayed rolled up for the whole trip...... Me likey beds, showers, refrigerators, cable TV

If you look close, the tent is at the bottom of the pile in back

So if you are going to tent it.... you can't go wrong with Northface.... great quality.

Last edited by shooter5074; 01-27-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2011 | 01:40 PM
brucemcd
Novice

Originally Posted by cochon
We always say that" roughing it" is a hotel without room service
Ah, I see you've been talking with my wife!

Old 01-27-2011 | 01:46 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

Originally Posted by '05Train
In the summer when it's over 100 degrees, the last thing I want to do is sleep outside.
I thought about it. I'd like to do it once, maybe. But overall, the romantic idea of bike camping is crushed by the reality of bike camping.
__________________-

I mentioned it to the wife in the past and her answer was something like,
How much is all that gear going to cost? Where are you going to put it? How are you going to like setting up and breaking down each day? How are you going to feel after sleeping on rocks all night(or not sleeping)?
Then she said, I'll have to get up in the middle of the night in the cold, or with mesquitos buzzing around just to go ****, (actually she said go to the restroom)
and when she asked ,"What are you going to do for your morning coffee? You know how you like to sit around in the morning sipping hot coffee untill things start to move....??
OK that does it, We'll get a room... LOL

Old 01-27-2011 | 01:59 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer

[quote=shooter5074;7838916]I took my Northface to Sturgis this year and it performed flawlessly. It stayed rolled up for the whole trip...... Me likey beds, showers, refrigerators, cable TV

TOO FUNNY, I didn't catch the part about "stayed rolled up" the first read.
I'm pretty certain that is what I would do also.
I have no desire to go on the road and have an uncomfortable, restless, or miserable night. When I was young I could and sometimes did sleep where I laid.
Today, it is a total different story.
Anybody that is healthy and durable enough to enjoy motorcycle camping I applaud them.

Old 01-27-2011 | 02:16 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leohd
what is a good rccomendation for a substitute for a air mattress? I heard that they have some type of foam to put under the sleeping bag but don't want nuthen REAL big.
An air mattress, like a cot, is asking for trouble! (hollow tubes, like air space underneath, allow air to come to equilibrium with the outside temperature, taking heat and energy away from you and inviting hypothermia). You want a ThermaRest sleeping pad (lifetime guarantee), or a knockoff. I have a ThermaRest Guidelite pad that I use for motorcycle camping.

Old 01-27-2011 | 02:36 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member

Being flexible is a benefit,I carry 1 1/2 tents,self inflating mattress,sleeping bag.A military canteen with cup and stove for coffee.The 1/2 tent is a military shelter-half for non-mosquito camping, the other is a cheap 1 man tent with mosquito net.Credit card for motel in case of rain or no handy campground.Used to stealth camp a lot but I'm older now so entertainment of being woke up by cop's is'nt as much fun .I ride solo 99% of the time so I get around with a lot less.

Old 01-27-2011 | 03:15 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

One thing I love about riding solo on the Ultra is that I can bring a bunch of creature comforts without worrying one bit about weight. So I bring a big sleeping bag, nice thick sleeping pad, folding chair...etc. Having 120lbs of stuff on the passenger seat is the same as having the 120lb wife sitting there.

Except..the "stuff" doesn't slap me in the helmet if I scrape a floorboard, lean the wrong way in a turn, shift around in the seat at stopsigns or have to pee.

cabelas.com is also a good site for gear. Sometimes you can find scream'n deals in the bargain cave.

Most imortant tip in packing for a trip is to make sure and leave any mental baggage at home.

Old 01-27-2011 | 03:19 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

The guy asks about camping gear and half of the responses are why he shouldn't camp. Go figure.

As others have said, you get what you paid for. Go for high(er)-end backpacking gear. It can get expensive, but it will last forever and it's small, lightweight and heavy-duty. As far as a air mattress, look at the Thermarests. They're thin, roll up tight, but make a difference when sleeping on the ground.

Old 01-27-2011 | 03:52 PM
mark10
Road Master

big agnes makes some real nice compact blow up air mattresses. these you can blow up yourself, takes 5 minutes. but with an air mattress be sure to bring some duct tape cause if you get a hole - ouch. the one i got rolls up to like 4" x 8". its full length and cost me around $45

there is also a cot, darn i can't off hand remember the name, but its the best, but also pricey, like around $200. if this is the way you want then email me and i will do a search for it. rolled up sixe is like 5" X 10".

you can also get camping pads of all kinds of different length and thicknesses. meaning different comfort. also different prices, but usually the most would be like $20. nice thing about these is that if you ruin it, throw it away and get another. when i use these i put them in a waterproof bag, usually with other camping stuff. these are usually kinda bulky.

it depends on what you need to be comfortable. the pads are the easiest and cheapest. the blow up is good for most thing. the cot is awesome.

Originally Posted by leohd
what is a good rccomendation for a substitute for a air mattress? I heard that they have some type of foam to put under the sleeping bag but don't want nuthen REAL big.

Quick Reply: Camping Gear