Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?

Just read in tech/audio that there is RF mini that is a little smaller and less $. He saw it at the CES show and there are links to it on his thread. Wondering if anyone has seen or used or knows anything about these yet? Any feedback is appreciated. Take care all and stay safe
Kris
Please know I am just a do it yourself kind of guy trying to help others out. I know nothing more about any of this stuff than anyone else does and I am certainly no audio guy, by any means. I am sharing what I am doing and have done with hopes of saving you time or from making the same mistakes I did in this process. Good luck to all.

UPDATE 6-7-11 delay is now 6-8 more weeks.

UPDATE 6-16-11
Yaffe has the plug and play harness and the amps for sale now and is expecting delivery any day now. Fosgate says they are sending SOME out but no numbers were given. I know Paul has been included in some of the design and R&D so he will probably get a pretty big chunk of the first ones, that is just my thoughts anyways. Guess that is a little less than 6-8 weeks.
UPDATE 6-21-11
Again it is limited quantaties, but the first shipments have gone out to the distrubtors who then send them to the dealers. All I know for now.
Kris
UPDATE 6-23-11 RF site now has the pics of the amp up to look at. These pic will help decide how you want to mount it or how to route your wires. Also has the option of 2/4 channel switch and some other useful info. Thanks Carl for the heads up on this one. I will do my best for anyone following this to get mine done as soon as I can. Wonderful timing on a camping trip, but I will not be back until Sunday night the 26th so I hope to get some stuff done thru next week. My radio will be back from Irin Cross today with the low level outs added, but I will get home bring the box inside and hook the camper and go this afternoon. Bike is in shop now with outer fairing, lowers, seat, tank and some other stuff all off of it waiting for all this audio stuff to happen, and a short list of other stuff too. Take care all and have a good safe weekend.
Kris
6-27-11
Mine is in. I will do a complete write up on this with details and photos later. Fairing still off, took my time and ran everything all the right way, soilder, heat shrink, etc. I have the 6.5 power series shallow mounts in the fairing and the amp right now and the outer fairing is not back on yet and all I can say, its loud. I played around with the bass and treble a little bit but it was getting late. Sounded OK with no outer fairing, or I should say it sounded better than my no amp - arc 6.5's did. I simply laid a towel over the back of the speakers and the audio quality doubled. I have lots of other work to do on other stuff aside from audio so I hope to get some more done in the next few evenings. Still to do is put the lowers with 6.5s in the CVO boxes and mount them(Thans again to Carl). These will be my other 2 channels. Also power series in these, but they are not the shallow mount, took a little mod'ing, but they do fit nicely now. Can't wait to get it all buttoned up and I will do my best to keep everyone posted.
7-1-11
I know I am poking along on this install, and i am very sorry for that, but am staying busy with some side work. Anyways, I was reading and playing around with my front speakers only and started reading amp book to ajust gain controlls and try to get some of this stuff buttoned up. The switch for what freqs you want to pass is very important. I had mine set, as it came, on letting just the hi freqs pass, well my initial sound thoughts were, damn that is loud, but I hope it gets a little better lows when I get the fairing back on, well I can tell ya when ya set it at all pass, look out!!! Holly Sh!%^$tttt.... Keep in mind right now I have just the 2 fronts running on the amp and the factory HK running the rears and they are almost all but faded out. This thing ROCKS!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT to get this all done!!! Again I appologize for delays. I know Carl has his thread started and is the BEST at informative, greatly written, with pics threads so look for his too. Harleypingman is his user name. I will keep working on it thru the 3 day weekend.
Kris

TEMPS
7-1-11 With the amp running on 2 channels only for 15 minutes or so I noticed that the amp is very warm, or even hot to the touch. I called RF tech and they assured me it is the way it makes power and has the ability to turn itself down before damage occurs. He says in some environments that are tight and zero air movement, they may see up to almost 200 degrees. I again ran it hard without the outer fairing on, no breeze, sitting on top of the HK unit in my shop, for another 15 minutes or 3 or 4 songs. I was running it at least 3/4 volume and my nieghbor (1/4 mile) also a HD rider called to say "Is that your bike?" I used my infrared thermometer and the hottest part of the amp, as described by RF tech is the outer edges and the top center where the RF logo is. I did many temps and the hottest I had was 129.9 I think I might have seen a 130 flicker across once for an instant, but really no worry at all acording to RF. Again, I am just a do it yourself guy trying to share some experinces. Please take my words as nothing but a rambling idiot trying to help.
Kris

7-5-11 DAMN IT!!!! Totally my fault, have lowers all in with the speakers in them and the fairing ready to be reinstalled. About 10:30 at night and i think, ah hell i am off tomorrow, I am going to pull it all out and pretty it all up with new zip ties and velcro strips etc... This is after doing some custom mods to the factory speaker grills and some other work on the bike that is non audio related. Adjusted gains and HOLY CRAP is sound good. Quality is there with plenty of volume. Again I have nothing to compare it too, but very impressed. This where the dumb *** part comes in. I have everything layed out nice and take my time putting everything in very nicely and before I put the fairing back on I decide i better give it one last check. Turn key on and get a pretty harsh noise from the rear speakers that are powered by the head unit only. WTF? So i pull all fuses and be sure to restart power to everything again and same deal. Conclusion is the conectors for the speaker outs and the audio in are the same and if you send amp output to HK low level outputs, bad things happen in the radio. I called Tony at Iron Cross Saturday morning, he says I am the second call in 2 days that did the same thing. My amp is now marked on top with white paint pen, in and out. I will hope to get head unit back from Iron Cross as quick as possible and keep everyone posted. !#@^%#*%#&^@Q!!!!!!!!! Hope someone is saved this mistake by my screw up.
Kris...

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 07-05-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
twmartin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found anywhere that you can actually purchase this amp yet.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I called Rockford Fosgate last week about that amp. It's a PBR300X4. Fosgate says it will start shipping in April/May.

Zach

Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Ohm Specs

Did they give ya any spec's? Main question is how many ohms is it running with 4 channels?

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I called Rockford Fosgate last week about that amp. It's a PBR300X4. Fosgate says it will start shipping in April/May.

Zach

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Did they give ya any spec's? Main question is how many ohms is it running with 4 channels?
I didn't ask. Call their tech line for help. They were more than willing to talk.

Zach

Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been researching MC audio all winter. Been looking for car stereo alterntatives too. Compared to car audio the MC audio prices for amps are insane. Forget HD stuff, they are even more insane. I have been thinking all along that the handful of MC audio companies need some major competitition with a big company to put the prices in perspective. I am excited about the new Rockford mini. I'm thinking and hoping this amp is going to set the bar! Rockfords are allways under rated on their spec sheets and allways put out more watts than they are rated at.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For $270 and 300 watts plus the Fosgate name, sounds like a great deal, depending on what size it is, I think I know where my next amp may be coming from, thanks for the info.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wanting a good quality amp to mount inside the fairing on top of the stock radio, and this looks like it will fit the bill. High level inputs, 75w RMS per channel, and a quality name.

The dimensions look good to - (HxWxL) 1.53" x 4.25" x 6.75" , but I'll have to wait until I have my outer fairing off to take some measurements.

Steve

Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of these BIG NAME audio companies are missing out on a HUGE market. Unless you don't like bag space !! !!

Quick Reply: New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?