Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I change my speakers/amp it would only be the fouth time. This site costs me so much money. lol. What sounds good to one person might not sound good to the next and when you can't hear it yourself it is a tough choice. I did get to hear the HW stuff before I got it. The only problem with HW is the price. Call me **** but I like to keep everything the same so if I end up with 4 speakers I like them to all be the same type.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
jmartig
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Stay tuned and I will keep this as up to date as possible. I know Paul Yaffe at bagger nation is pretty excited and has the type of system you are looking at now from HW'd and plans to do the same with the RF stuff, just a little more affordable. I hope to hear from some of the guys who have used the RF stuff too, but it doesn't look like many have tried too much yet or have not said so here yet anyways. As many other have said, hard to go wrong with stuff from RF. I also know the stuff you have has a great name here so selling that stuff would be pretty simple too. Good luck.
Kris
Tell Paul I will buy the first package with that amp and the most badass FULL RANGE speakers he can pair with it. That is if I don't get the itch too soon and buy titans or hawg wired lol. I am itching bad! It's been a looooooong winter without my 2010 SG.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
jmartig
Novice

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Stay tuned and I will keep this as up to date as possible. I know Paul Yaffe at bagger nation is pretty excited and has the type of system you are looking at now from HW'd and plans to do the same with the RF stuff, just a little more affordable. I hope to hear from some of the guys who have used the RF stuff too, but it doesn't look like many have tried too much yet or have not said so here yet anyways. As many other have said, hard to go wrong with stuff from RF. I also know the stuff you have has a great name here so selling that stuff would be pretty simple too. Good luck.
Kris
Tell Paul I will buy the first package he can come up with with some badass 6.5 (or larger!) FULL RANGE speakers. No joke I am a huge fan of RF and trust the brand. On a side note... Got an in with arnott? I need adjustable air ride ... I really wish they would come out with a "preset" system allow for at least 2 common user programmable settings... Like ride and back upnheights for us shorter folk. I am 5'2" on a 2010 SG lol

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COME ON! I just ordered the J&M -7.25 Speakers and I have to wait for the Amp (very few out there?)
Now these are better then the J&M's ? Their amp must be great to be sold out most places? They have that new ROKKER series Amp coming out at in a couple of weeks , that will LOWER the price on their amp they have out now? Save some money , YEA !

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default No ins

Originally Posted by jmartig
Tell Paul I will buy the first package he can come up with with some badass 6.5 (or larger!) FULL RANGE speakers. No joke I am a huge fan of RF and trust the brand. On a side note... Got an in with arnott? I need adjustable air ride ... I really wish they would come out with a "preset" system allow for at least 2 common user programmable settings... Like ride and back upnheights for us shorter folk. I am 5'2" on a 2010 SG lol
Sorry no ins with arnott. I will pass your info along to Paul. With all of the great RF stuff that has been out there for SO LONG, I am pretty sure we will be happy with the results. Yaffe is selling the speakers right now, but no amp yet. He does have them matched up with a Hawg Wired amp, but the price reflects the HW amp. Pretty proud of their stuff they are.
KRIS

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Come On

Originally Posted by legendzzz
COME ON! I just ordered the J&M -7.25 Speakers and I have to wait for the Amp (very few out there?)
Now these are better then the J&M's ? Their amp must be great to be sold out most places? They have that new ROKKER series Amp coming out at in a couple of weeks , that will LOWER the price on their amp they have out now? Save some money , YEA !
I bet you will be happy with the J&M stuff. John is a great guy and was actually responding to some of my questions from Bike Week. I am not saying these will be BETER than the J&M's ROCKER set up in any way because I have not heard either one yet. I just know when I was young and dumb, RF was one of the very first ones to make a quality affordable amp for my 79 Cutlass (was bad *** with a 350 rocket!) with a good set of 6X9's that everyone LOVED to ride in. That was late 80's. And they have not stopped with good yet!!!
Kris

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
jmartig
Novice

It's still to cold and salty for me to ride at the moment but I want it like yesterday. Come on Rockford! Release it please! Lol (hoping my begging finds its way to the Rockford gods) I am not a fan of the j&m stuff. The puny magnets go against everything I have ever learned about speakers. That was fine back in the 80's when you had a cabinet to match the resonance but not in a fiberglass batwing that isn't sealed. Hmmm now it's got me thinking... I wonder if anyone has ever fully disasembled a batwing, dynomatted it, and created a system that would seal it up when closed. I may tackle that project while it is still cold out. If I do I will take pics and create a step by step thread.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default sealed?

Ya know I was thinking about that too. Back in the day when ya had a speakers desired cubic inches and sealed or ported info, it was easy to do when ya had a trunk to work with. I guess the outside edges of the batwing could be sealed up, then even ported if it would work beter. I will leave that winter work up to you and yes, please do post whatever success ya do have. Thanks and good thinking.
Kris

Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

J&M's new ROKKER series 500w 4-ch amp is a bit more powerful than the R/F ,,,, producing 125w RMS continuous per channel, X4 into a 2-ohm load ,,,,(( see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....0HC06-UL&PF=45 ,,,)))

certainly more expensive than the R/F, but please note how complete the J&M kit is with the custom SS mounting bracket system, and all plug-n-play wiring harnesses manufactured and tested in our shop in Tucson AZ ,,,,,

the high-tech digital switching power supply used inside the J&M 500w amp, allows this amp to really crank out the audio power, WITHOUT putting excessively high current demands on the Harley electrical system ,,,,,

Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 AM
jmartig
Novice

Yeah Kris, I agree. Way easier to do back in the day. I remember at one time when JL Audio produced a speaker that didn't need a box and was capable of being run "free air". I wonder what happened to that technology and why it was abandoned. Something like that would be prime.

Sorry John. No offense, but I am not a fan. I have a degree in electronics engineering. I don't doubt what your product can do but I do know it takes power to make power (efficiently) call me old school but I can make a dirty amp the size of a deck of cards but it doesn't mean I will be happy with the sound. I just can't trust it based upon what I know. And the speakers with the tiny magnets... In simpleton terms it takes a magnet to keep a speakers voice coil in check or a tightly sealed box that can act as a vacuum. Those speakers are essentially running free air and I just can't bring myself to do it. I am only stating my opinion based on what I know not what I have heard. Now if I heard the setup and could say I was impressed it's a different story. But to date I have yet to see your product anywhere here in Milwaukee so I just have to trust my gut on this one. It just doesn't look like the quality I am used to and can't bring myself to spend that kind of scratch on something I don't believe based on the principles I once learned.

Quick Reply: New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?