Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

COPY PASTE.....
UPDATE 6-23-11 RF site now has the pics of the amp up to look at. These pic will help decide how you want to mount it or how to route your wires. Also has the option of 2/4 channel switch and some other useful info. Thanks Carl for the heads up on this one. I will do my best for anyone following this to get mine done as soon as I can. Wonderful timing on a camping trip, but I will not be back until Sunday night the 26th so I hope to get some stuff done thru next week. My radio will be back from Irin Cross today with the low level outs added, but I will get home bring the box inside and hook the camper and go this afternoon. Bike is in shop now with outer fairing, lowers, seat, tank and some other stuff all off of it waiting for all this audio stuff to happen, and a short list of other stuff too. Take care all and have a good safe weekend.
Kris

Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's a link to RF's updated product page for the amp:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=

It now includes pictures of the amp which show the various connections and switches. It also includes a link to the installation instructions which are in this link:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...BRT4ch-MAN.pdf

The amp comes with harnesses for amp inputs and outputs. It doesn't include the power/ground/remote wiring, but RF offers a kit for this, also.

In addition to the supplied harnesses, a nice feature of the amp is a 2/4 channel switch. So, if you're installing the amp on a Street Glide, for example, you can simply use your fairing speaker wiring as the two-channel input; select the 2 channel switch setting; and, have four-channel output for fairing lower speakers, saddlebag lid speakers, or tour pak speakers. Said another way, you don't need to provide four-channel inputs to get four-channel outputs. Of course, you won't have fader control using the two-channel inputs. (Hogtunes uses a similar 2/4 channel selector switch on its 160W 4-channel amp.)

I hope to have my amp next week.

Carl

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info about the wiring Carl

Also, i find the dimensions of this amp bad ***... 1.5"x4.25"x6.75" is about the size of a subway sandwich.

Last edited by stupid_rope; 06-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Carl

Ditto+++ Thanks for your input, as always.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 152 Posts

Just pre-ordered my amp through Audio Connection here in Maryland for $199.99 saved a decent amount of money from the list price it will go for when it hits the shelf next month. That price is RF's list price before they set the final price they are advertising on their website according to the dealer I went through.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
Thanks for the info about the wiring Carl

Also, i find the dimensions of this amp bad ***... 1.5"x4.25"x6.75" is about the size of a subway sandwich.
You're welcome. I'll need to cut-off the RCA connectors for high level inputs, but soldering/heat shrinking the splices won't be a problem.

Carl

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Update 6-27-11

Mine is in. I will do a complete write up on this with details and photos later. Fairing still off, took my time and ran everything all the right way, soilder, heat shrink, etc. I have the 6.5 power series shallow mounts in the fairing and the amp right now and the outer fairing is not back on yet and all I can say, its loud. I played around with the bass and treble a little bit but it was getting late. Sounded OK with no outer fairing, or I should say it sounded better than my no amp - arc 6.5's did. I simply laid a towel over the back of the speakers and the audio quality doubled. I have lots of other work to do on other stuff aside from audio so I hope to get some more done in the next few evenings. Still to do is put the lowers with 6.5s in the CVO boxes and mount them(Thans again to Carl). These will be my other 2 channels. Also power series in these, but they are not the shallow mount, took a little mod'ing, but they do fit nicely now. Can't wait to get it all buttoned up and I will do my best to keep everyone posted.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Mine is in. I will do a complete write up on this with details and photos later. Fairing still off, took my time and ran everything all the right way, soilder, heat shrink, etc. I have the 6.5 power series shallow mounts in the fairing and the amp right now and the outer fairing is not back on yet and all I can say, its loud. I played around with the bass and treble a little bit but it was getting late. Sounded OK with no outer fairing, or I should say it sounded better than my no amp - arc 6.5's did. I simply laid a towel over the back of the speakers and the audio quality doubled. I have lots of other work to do on other stuff aside from audio so I hope to get some more done in the next few evenings. Still to do is put the lowers with 6.5s in the CVO boxes and mount them(Thans again to Carl). These will be my other 2 channels. Also power series in these, but they are not the shallow mount, took a little mod'ing, but they do fit nicely now. Can't wait to get it all buttoned up and I will do my best to keep everyone posted.
Can't wait to see your write up. Should have mine by Wed. Did you change the headunit out as well?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
bcp07sg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the j&m 7.25 2 ohm speakers installed and I'd like to run the RF amp. Would it be possible to install a 2 ohm resistor in series with the speakers to achieve the 4ohm impedance required for the amp. Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Head unit

I using factory HK head unit, but had Irin Cross ad the low level outs for front and rear. Rear speakers are still powered from it and I don't plan to change that. For now at least.

Originally Posted by Kesean
Can't wait to see your write up. Should have mine by Wed. Did you change the headunit out as well?

Quick Reply: New Rockford Fosgate mini amp?