Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the RK - Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lowering the RK - Confusion

Hey all...ok, I spent 45 mins reading though searched posts on lowering and went out to the Progressive site, LA Choppers, etc. Head's spinning.

The bike's an '09 FLHR with stock suspension now.

I am thinking about lowering just for the looks (I liked my 07 SG height). I am 6'1" 260 lbs and ride 2-up a LOT (oh well, she digs it) with a 5'9" 135 lb redhead (makes her that much faster of course).

However - I am also very pissed at the s**tty stock rear shocks...especially when loaded-up for a 5-day trip or even just dealing with our trashed roads...way too much slammed bottoming (the bike, of course <ahem>).

So - I'd love to hear from anybody who has (here's the tricky part) THE definitive best way to BOTH lower AND get a massively improved ride...front and rear lowering, I'd suppose.

Sorry to raise this age-old topic but I wasn't able to find any posts that I really thought sounded just right. Who is the suspension Guru around here? I recall last year a guy who was "the man" in this department.

Ideas/Recommendations??

Thanks! Spring is almost here!

SG

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnden
Who is the suspension Guru around here? I recall last year a guy who was "the man" in this department.
Forum member "FastHarley" is the suspension man.

I can tell you now, he'll advise against lowering it, especially at your height.

Shoot him a PM.
He usually pops on here in the mornings.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks BadPiggy. Well, I am a HUGE fan of listening to people who know what they're doing. Sure, I can wrench a bit and tweak here and there...but am not interested in launching project half-cocked or ill-advised.

Ride is BY FAR my #1 thing...I ride this thing more than "look at it", that's for sure.

Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested in this too. I bought new front shocks with chrome lowers and 1" lowered springs installed, just havent put them on yet. For the rear, I bought lowered air shocks to install. Curious to see what people say about it before i install everything.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Another fan and customer of FastHarley here. I suggest you give Howard a call. He is a Motorcycle Metal and a HDF sponsor. He can build you custom shocks for your requirements, height, weight etc. The shocks he supplied me are the first and only ones I have used that do not bottom out when riding two up! I went to him having read dozens of suspension threads here and seen that some members have tried several other shocks and only been happy with Howard's. I took a short cut and went straight there!