Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailers ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
ps - torsion bar suspension is not a good way to go, high failure rate and replacements may be hard to find ... leaf springs generally a better choice -
Cosmic Charlie: I really like my enclosed trailer with torsion bar suspension. Your statement regarding torsion bar suspension; Do you know of individuals that have had issues with this tpe of suspension? I know torsion bar suspension generally costs more and rides smoother. Issues???

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 7x16 V-Nose last spring new for just under $3,600 which I though was a good buy. It has brakes on both axles and easily accommodates both my bikes. I can fit them in side by side or front to back. Four bikes shouldn't be an issue in it either. It has a 7K weight limit and the trailer weighs around 2300 lbs if I remember right. I pull it with an '09 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.55 rear. It pulls it with no issues other than a hit in mileage. The truck does squat a lot due to the heavy tongue weight but a set of Air Lift bags in the rear coils solved that.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by larry69fatboy
I'm also looking to get one if these for ralleys. Anyone know where to get fold down beds?
My brother-in-law uses a 4x8 piece of plywood fastened on hinges to the side of the trailer. When traveling the plywood is folded up against the trailer side wall. Night time they just lay it down using some legs that fold down from the plywood.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

larry69fatboy - I took a 4X8 3/4" plywood cut it into half lengthwise and with two 4x4 posts and a 8'6" galvanized pipe that made into a bifold bunk secured into the metal frame rails of the trailer. Only sticks out 4" . It fold down as you pull it out at the bottom. I place a 6' table under it and presto a bunk.

He is a pic of it folded up against the wall and the table which is used for other camping needs during the day is stored on the wheel well. The 4x4's were scrape from a pallet and the pipe was from a water line that was frozen. Only $30 for the plywood and a little paint.

You can just see some of the plywood on the right side covered by some towels and the table further down on the right also over the wheel well paint in black and white squares.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My truck is capable of any trailer, the problem, is when its pulled behind my 5ver. There are two issues with that, 1) Length, legal length will keep it shorter than I want, and I have to measure it before purchase. Brochures are never accurate so its critical to measure in person. 2)Weight, The rear bumper will have to be beefed up and to keep my axles within thier legal limits. The truck can tow over the GCVWR, and I do have a Class A lic. if over 26K, it just comes down to the axle issue, with 15% of tongue weight transfered to the rear axles of the 5ver. DOT only cares about axle ratings so its critical on that point.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If small and light is what you need, then check out Yukon Delta. Not the houseboat, but the trailer company. They make trailers for powered parachutes. At least they DID. Not sure they are still in business. You can find them in a google search for "yukon delta parachute trailer" They made a version for bikes without the hi top. I had one for 10 yrs but just sold it a few months ago for $2500. Hauled 2 sportbikes in it. You might get a dresser and a sportster in it but 2 dressers as advertised would be tough. I gave all the info I had to the guy who bought the trailer but could get it if you seriously wanted one. The thing weighs 580 lbs, and about 12 ft total. You could pull it with a 4 cyl.

yukon delta

Dont know how old this ad is but if you click the link at the bottom he has pics and may separate...

http://www.blueheronppc.com/usedppcs.htm

Here is the one I had.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
RVTRKN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Razorback, I checked into that trailer, and the GVWR is to lite for my 2011 FLHTK, and the future bike for my wife, but thanks for the link.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 AM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I'm not sure how many single axle trailers have brakes but I think most of the tandem ones do. Nice option if you plan to haul two bikes. I love my 7x12 w/3' v-nose (15') Horton hauler. Once the bikes are out it fits a queen size air mattress no problem.

Hey HD Rolling.. Love the trailer setup. I am about the pull the trigger on a 7X14 but after seeing your trailer pics with only one bagger, I am wonder how tight two baggers fit in a 7 wide. Can you let me know?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by hikervt
Hey HD Rolling.. Love the trailer setup. I am about the pull the trigger on a 7X14 but after seeing your trailer pics with only one bagger, I am wonder how tight two baggers fit in a 7 wide. Can you let me know?
You can see my street glide is close to the middle in the back, when I drive it strait on two fit but it is tight. When I load two baggers I remove one inside saddlebag from one bike just for insurance. They don't touch but I like having more space. Also this Horton hauler has a finished inside with wood sides inside and wired for a/c in the roof. If you get one that doesn't have the wood walls that would free up another couple inches on the inside!
technically this is a 7x12 with an additional three foot v-nose so a 14" would have a lot more room up front.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
texaspirate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Iron Horse Trailers. Low profile, light weight and great suspension for the bike. Like the pop up roof design to keep the lower profile. A lot of $$$, but if you tow a lot, well worth the cost. I generally rent when I need a trailer to haul a bike.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailers ???