Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Dept. at the dealer has some explaining to do....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Service Dept. at the dealer has some explaining to do....

So, last week I went to the dealer and arranged for my bike to be picked up for some service: 20K service, new rear tire, and check the cam shoe tensioners. In our discussion of the shoes, the guy said that if they are too worn that he recommends the hydraulic upgrade - he opened the book to the kit and explained the details including the new oil pump - I asked about gear drive and he said the hydraulic would be cheaper and is really a good upgrade...no failure...which is what I am after.

I then said, given my budget, if the shoes are worn and I need to do the upgrade then I will hold off on the rear tire and the 20K service until later in the spring.

Next, they pick up the bike and a day or so later I get the call from the same guy that the shoes are in fact worn and he recommends that I do the upgrade - talking out loud I mentioned that "I know I could just replace the shoes and that would be cheaper but this kit is a good idea because I won't have to worry about the shoes right and plus I get that new oil pump right?" he says right, I would go with the upgrade. He tells me that the cams hardsurface is worn and he recommends replacing them too. So, I say go ahead.

Next, tonight I go in to the shop to pay the bill. Clayton, the original guy I spoke with through this whole process is not there but another guy helps me. We go through the statement and I am specifically looking for the hydraulic upgrade kit and can't find it - I do see a part number to a kit and ask about it - he double checks with the mechanic and comes back and tells me that they did a cam bearing replacement kit - I asked what about the hydraulic kit? he checks with the mechainic, comes back and says I have the same system that was alreay there...the spring loaded tensioners....WHAT? This is not at all what we talked about but Clayton was not there to talk to so I have to go back in tomorrow.....hope I am not screwed!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Such is the problem when dealing with people named "Clayton" who are unqualified douche bags whom you entrust to oversee the repairs on your motorcycle. First rule of bike maintenance is "Never trust a guy named Clayton to do a good job", second rule of bike maintenance is " NEVER trust a guy named Clayton"!!! Gears are the way to go BUT, the half-assed MOCO cranks are so gawdam outta square that many times you can't roll them without a crank retrue. Sounds like ol' dill-hole Clayton screwed the pooch and let the ball bounce. Sounds to me like ya best roll down there in the mo'nin and let ol' Clayton have both barrells until his manager comes out and gives you everything that you desire. Given the nature of the bizness you may be fugged, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Mr. Wannabe; 01-25-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
Such is the problem when dealing with people named "Clayton" who are unqualified douche bags whom you entrust to oversee repairs on your motorcycle. First rule of bike maintenance is "Never trust a guy named Clayton to do a good job", second rule of bike maintenance is " NEVER trust a guy named Clayton"!!!
That's kinda funny. Made me chuckle

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd give em both barrels too. Clayton screwed you good.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Hopefully it is as simple as "Clayton" putting the correct parts in and the service writer pulling the wrong numbers. Either way I hope you are able to work through it without much B.S. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok now everybody lets wait till we talk to Clayton before we kill him , but I must know ,is Clayton bald , that realy sounds like a bald guys name , keep us posted

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

note to self, "if there's a guy working on my bike, make sure his name is not clayton"

Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I think Clayton will either have your bill adjusted or arrange for a handsome in-store credit. Failing that, you might feel compelled to hit Clayton with a ton of clay...legally speaking, of course.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Sure his name wasn't Cliff Clayton, Oh wait that was Cliff Clavin from Cheers!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Since the work is done,I dont think the owner(dealership) is going to eat all that labor.JMO.
I would sure raise hell with the SM!

Quick Reply: Service Dept. at the dealer has some explaining to do....