Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did allot of research on leather jackets a few years ago. I believe that Langlitz Leathers Inc. of Portland, Oregon make some of the best custom leathers out there. The only drawback is the cost. They are very expensive. I plan to get fitted for their leathers the next time I'm in Portland.

I personally went with Fox Creek Leathers. I got both jacket and full leather pants. The price is still pretty high but nothing like Langlitz prices. The quality is outstanding and they have exceptional customer support. I'm very happy with both the jacket and pants.

Last edited by E N AZ; 01-25-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

My first leather jacket was an Interstate leather product. I bought it on sale for about $50. I thought it was great. Pretty heavy and stiff though.

I was looking at fox creek jackets online one day. They had some discontinued jackets on sale for less than half price. They are still have a lifetime warranty. They are very good quality.

I have been wearing it for three years, even been caught in several rains with it. It still looks and feels like new.

Dennis

Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Fox Creek - $400 and worth every penny. The thing weighs like 25 pounds. Made in USA.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Just be careful about some of the low price stuff. I bought a vest from a catalog discounter. The leather was very thin and was actually crinkly. It felt like I was wearing a vest made out of newspaper. The fit was terrible, too. I sent it back as soon as I could.

I think you get what you pay for when it comes to leather. You may save a little at the beginning, but you pay for it later.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted an FXRG in the worst way but couldn't justify the $650. I went to leatherup.com and bought this

https://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...6.html#reviews

I used the FXRG as a sizing reference and it fits like a glove. I found a discount coupon online and ended up paying $200 shipped. the leather is really high quality and feels broken in already. I couldn't be happier with it. It's loaded with features and is incredibly comfortable. I've looked at the jackets that the group I ride with wear and this is every bit as good in terms of construction and materials than anything they have

Last edited by knewt5; 01-25-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

Fox Creek. Recently had to send jacket back for two small issues. They took care of it under warranty. I would not hesitate to recommend. It is clearly my favorite off the shelf jacket. I have two HD jackets in the closet. Love the Fox Creek jacket.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyenga
LeatherUp.com, a site sponser has a ton of choices at good prices. I bought a "Classic Men's X-Force Black Racer Motorcycle Jacket" and my wife got the ladies version this winter. Haven't had them on the road yet but they look and feel pretty good for the money, under $100.
Service outstanding.
I like Leatherup.com; good company and everything I have purchased has been pretty nice. If there are any issues or you don't like it they have an easy return/exchange policy. If you sign up for their emails they send 15% coupons often. Here is a code for 10% off 55633

Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 534 Posts

I got my Schott Perfecto in 1988 for around $380. 23 years later and I don't need a new one. That's about $16.50 a year. If you can find a $100 jacket that will last that long go for it, but I'm thinking you won't.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
CTGlyder
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Nine posts and nobody encourged saving up some coin and buying an american made jacket that will last a LOT longer than 5 years?

Let me be the first then.

fox creek, langlitz, schott, etc. etc. etc.
Vanson makes some great jackets. I own one, and they are worth every penny.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Langlitz hands down UNLESS you are likely to gain lots of weight as the years pass. What I mean by this is that spending lots of cash on a primo jacket does not make sense if you are going to grow out of it.

At 65 years old, I was certain that I could keep the weight under control so I spent $1,000 (actually more but I had some custom stuff done) to get the best cowhide jacket in existence.

Langlitz (Portland, OR) has both off the shelf sizes and custom made. I got custom made. I got the mid-weight cowhide and if anything it is too heavy. Langlitz offers goat hide too, and it has many plusses. Consider goat hide. I love the jacket these folks made for me, but it is way too heavy and hot for the heat of summer riding. But, I know that if I crash while wearing it I will never have the road touch my skin.

Quick Reply: Leather Jacket Advice