Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Fork Oil Using the ICLICK Method?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help with front suspension set-up, please

So, I want to change my fork oil to the 15w Screaming Eagle stuff. I used the search-engine and read up on H-D Forum member ICLICK's infamous "fork oil change technique" It looks easy enough.

My question to those in the know... His bike is a 2007. Will the same method work on my 2010 Street Glide forks?

Thanks!

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 01-25-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes! It will work just fine. I use a 50/50 mix of Type E and SE. Makes a world of difference.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep. +1 on 50/50 mix per above. i went straight to hd and, although i like the firmness. you do feel EVERY imperfection in the road....i will do the 50/50 next time.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Thanks for the info Dudes! However, now I have another dilemma thanks to you guys! Do I use the "SE Performance Fork Oil" (15w)... or do I do a 50/50 mix with the standard fork oil?

I've been researching this and everyone says the 15w SE stuff will get rid of the front-end brake dive. I haven't heard anyone complain about the front-end being too stiff (until now) after swapping to the 15w SE stuff.

My opinion is, the front end is too soft from the showroom, but nothing I cant live with. After all... it is a "Touring Bike". The only reason I'm swapping to the heavier SE stuff is to reduce/eliminate the front-end brake dive. I'm used to a "taught ride" from being on sport bikes most of my life, and recently 7 years on a Hayabusa. I just don't want to turn the front-end of my Street Glide into a "rock"!

Anyone else care to give me their opinions on the front-end ride after swapping to the 15w SE stuff??

As far as the details go... I'm 6'1", about 240 lbs. I ride at a faster pace than the average "Touring Bike Rider" I'd say, and I spend a lot of time in the twisties here in Alaska. I like to feel the road under me, yet I want to feel the suspension working. I want the bike to "perform" without getting "squirrelly", and I don't need a "Cadillac ride". I spend 80% of my time solo, but will throw Momma and a Tour-Pak on the back occasionally. Oh yeah... the roads in Alaska are in about the same condition as the roads in Bagdad after the Coalition attack to oust Sadam!

The suspension on these bikes has got to be the biggest challenge I think. I'd be aweful tempted to swap in a set of Hayabusa forks and some Showa sport bike rear shocks... all "fully adjustable". That damn Busa just floats over these Alaska roads, even leaned over at triple-digit speed. Solo or two-up... just floats!

Anyway ...thanks for you help and opinions!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running the 15w and I don't think its too firm. No brake dive and the bike handles much better. I'm sure good results can be had with 50/50 mix.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

What ever the viscosity of the SE Heavy is, I like it. Taste great, less filling.

Reduced the front end dive and not too stiff...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is difficult to describe this and your feel will be different than someone else. It only takes about a hour to change the fork oil, so start with the SE (15wt) and if you don't like it then go with something else. I like the 50/50 and it significantly reduced the front end dive, but the ride is still "comfy." It is a touring bike and I like comfort. Just experiment, it doesn't cost much and it really does not take much time.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Got a link to ICLICK's infamous "fork oil change technique?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I am running the SE heavy duty oil and like it. It is not too stiff for me.

Dennis

Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
Got a link to ICLICK's infamous "fork oil change technique?
Bump; looking for the link.

Quick Reply: Changing the Fork Oil Using the ICLICK Method?