Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70,000 on my 08 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts
Default 70,000 on my 08 RKC

I write this not only to brag a little, but to let those out there, that for some reason are nervous about their motor lasting, know that it will.

I'm very hard on my bike. For example, I left for work a couple of days ago, the temperature was 29. I fired it up and immediately rode off. My idea of warming it up is to take it easy for a mile or so. I ride every day no matter what the weather is. I have a 75 mile round trip daily commute. My bike has been through more rain storms than I can count. I hardly ever wash it. I check the air in the tires when I can feel in the seat that they need air.

I do change the fluids at the intervals recommended in the manual but beyond that, I only make adjustments or repairs as needed. For example, the clutch has only been adjusted once at 3,000 miles by the indy that tuned it. Other than that, I haven't touched the clutch other than to adjust the cable for some stretch. I think I have changed the spark plugs twice. I cant think of any other adjustments I've made.

I have had some failures but I have never been stranded. It's started and run fine every time. Items that have failed include the twist grip sensor, voltage regulator, front wheel bearings (twice), rear brake light switch. All failures, except the last set of bearings, occured and were covered under warranty. The warranty expired a year ago and it hasn't been in the shop since.

My point is, don't be scared of putting miles on your bike. It can take it. The motor wil last.

For those that I know are curious - Regular Mobil 1 15-50 in the engine, Mobil 1 vtwin in the primary, and Mobil 1 75-90 in the trans.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM
softone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good story. I've heard of others that do minimal and have no issues.
Not necessarily recommended but the bikes can take it.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congradulations and thanks for posting. There is a lot of doom and gloom posted on forums. It's great to see some positive comments. I have only had my Road King a few months, but it was something I have spent many years working towards.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've also been the same way - start it and ride it. Those that worry too much end up causing some of the problems in the first place.

Just like with 'noises'...its an air cooled rattlebox, not a metric, and its part of a harley's charm.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Good to hear. Although I'm no-where near 70,000, other than the stage one, it will stay bone stock and runs great.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser

Ya, great to hear. Tired of the same 'ol rhetoric...Synthetic vs. conventional, 3000 mi check or 5000, psi for front tire vs. back, psi in shocks, LED vs. halogen.....JUST RIDE IT.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I write this not only to brag a little, but to let those out there, that for some reason are nervous about their motor lasting, know that it will.

I'm very hard on my bike. For example, I left for work a couple of days ago, the temperature was 29. I fired it up and immediately rode off. My idea of warming it up is to take it easy for a mile or so. I ride every day no matter what the weather is. I have a 75 mile round trip daily commute. My bike has been through more rain storms than I can count. I hardly ever wash it. I check the air in the tires when I can feel in the seat that they need air.

I do change the fluids at the intervals recommended in the manual but beyond that, I only make adjustments or repairs as needed. For example, the clutch has only been adjusted once at 3,000 miles by the indy that tuned it. Other than that, I haven't touched the clutch other than to adjust the cable for some stretch. I think I have changed the spark plugs twice. I cant think of any other adjustments I've made.

I have had some failures but I have never been stranded. It's started and run fine every time. Items that have failed include the twist grip sensor, voltage regulator, front wheel bearings (twice), rear brake light switch. All failures, except the last set of bearings, occured and were covered under warranty. The warranty expired a year ago and it hasn't been in the shop since.

My point is, don't be scared of putting miles on your bike. It can take it. The motor wil last.

For those that I know are curious - Regular Mobil 1 15-50 in the engine, Mobil 1 vtwin in the primary, and Mobil 1 75-90 in the trans.
wow. except that mines a 07 u could b telling my story. 70k also near trouble free miles. ive never liked the sound mine makes when starting but never stranded me, i dont baby it. ride 24/7/365. .only two times i wont ride is in VERY hi winds or hail and thats outta fear of hurtin the bike.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and i wouldnt swap it even up on a new one. its a keeper

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is not tht fortunate.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Avmech97
Road Master
Thumbs up

It's good to see someone with a bike that really gets riden. My current ride only has about 11k on it but that's only because my previous bike was totaled by a cager. It only had 158k+ on it. Ride On!

Quick Reply: 70,000 on my 08 RKC