Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70,000 on my 08 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I took my '09 Road Glide in for the 35,000 mile service Thursday January 20, 2011, with 35,621 miles. I complained about the clutch needing the cable adjusted three times in the last three weeks. The dealer finished that day and said that the clutch just had the lock nut loose but the rear brake switch was bad and replaced under warranty. I rode this weekend. The clutch cable again went out of adjustment and the rear brake petal was sponge. I also noticed the shift lever off the transmission was loose. This was the first time I had anything done, other than the regu;ar service. That is over 35,000 miles.

I hit the dealer Tuesday January 25, 2011 at 8am. I told them about the clutch adjustment, the brake petal, and the loose lever. When I told them, they said that the lever was not checked. I said it should be because if it is left loose, the shaft coming out of the transmission would wear out and need replacement at great cost. About noon, they came out and told me that they found the clutch basket bearing was bad and the shifter shaft coming out of the transmission was worn to the point the lever would not tighten. I am thankful I have the extended warranty. It will cost me the $50 deductible. I have a loaner 2011 Ultra.

I usually check this shaft. But I didn't do it often enough. So one thing for everyone to check. Take your hand and see if you can move the shift lever that comes off the transmission. If you do not keep it tight. Or leave it loose for any length of time, you will have a very large repair job. You will be required to replace the shifter shaft that comes out of the side of the transmission. Check it.

I have been riding the 2011 Ultra Glide Loaner that Skip Fordyce provided under my contract for a couple of days. What a difference in the ride. The Fairing does not provide the protection from the wind that mine does. I find the windshield is so high and close. I will be glad when I get my Road Glide back.

Boy, I miss my Road Glide!!

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 01-31-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

U mean it hasn't had that transmission bearing/seal failure that keeps popping up in here..

Several threads keep talking bout they only last 23-30k

got 31k on our 07 and she been flawless (tg)....cept loose bolts on battery caused a miss one time.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,824 Likes on 3,175 Posts

"Other than that, I haven't touched the clutch other than to adjust the cable for some stretch."

Edward, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nicely it shifts if you'll spend just 15 minutes and adjust the actual clutch once in a while. It's a very simple
procedure.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
"Other than that, I haven't touched the clutch other than to adjust the cable for some stretch."

Edward, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nicely it shifts if you'll spend just 15 minutes and adjust the actual clutch once in a while. It's a very simple
procedure.
You may be right, I've never adjusted it so i can't say, but I'm one of those that doesn't fix it unless it's broke. I'm not against making adjustments when needed, but if it's working fine, why adjust it. It doesn't slip, it fully engages and disengages, and shifts just fine.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe you don't disassemble, check, adjust, and reassemble the entire bike front to back every 2500 miles just to be safe.

You don't know what you are missing on the clutch. If you adjust that clutch every 1000 miles (I prefer every 250 myself) it will shift so smooth that the wind will move the shift lever for you when you squeeze the clutch. I bet you are still using your toe to shift...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,824 Likes on 3,175 Posts

Most importantly, If you continue to adjust just the cable, the actuator in the right hand cover is moving farther and farther forward. If the cam mech "flips" suddenly from over extention, you'll have no cluth whatsoever, wherever you may be.
Best of luck!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the good story.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread. I enjoyed this one.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mnskip
... other than the stage one, it will stay bone stock and runs great.
Same here. While I do my own maintenance and a lot more of it than the OP, his point is well taken in the potential for durability.

Sure, some things will fail due to sub-par standards - compensators and bearings come to mind - but as mentioned in other threads, a lot of problems are self-inflicted.

My 103 motor is fine just the way it is now without needing to squeeze a few more ponies or foot-pounds out of it only to have it start going screwy on me. No thanks. Read too many sob stories here to start mucking with it now.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the thread. I have rode Jap bikes for years with very little problems, but have always wanted a Harley Davidson. I finally made the leap and bought an 07 Electra Glide UC with 14,500 miles on it, and absolutely love the bike. Its has V&H true duals and a K&N air filter and thats as far as I'll go above stock. I've put about 800 miles on it in the last 3 weeks and its just a fun bike to ride. It has alot of class and alot of character. If I ride this one like I did my others, and I fully intend to do so, I'll put 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year on it. I'm looking forward to proving my RSV and GoldWing buddies wrong!

SugsPa

Quick Reply: 70,000 on my 08 RKC