Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70,000 on my 08 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I don't believe you!

I'm sure you had a broken crank, compensator came apart, ABS almost caused you to crash, etc, etc, etc. Those things happen to all current Harleys because I read it on the forums.

I only have 33,000 miles on my '08.
The OP is either a employee of harley or has stock in them

Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Bill C
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I write this not only to brag a little, but to let those out there, that for some reason are nervous about their motor lasting, know that it will.

I'm very hard on my bike. For example, I left for work a couple of days ago, the temperature was 29. I fired it up and immediately rode off. My idea of warming it up is to take it easy for a mile or so. I ride every day no matter what the weather is. I have a 75 mile round trip daily commute. My bike has been through more rain storms than I can count. I hardly ever wash it. I check the air in the tires when I can feel in the seat that they need air.

I do change the fluids at the intervals recommended in the manual but beyond that, I only make adjustments or repairs as needed. For example, the clutch has only been adjusted once at 3,000 miles by the indy that tuned it. Other than that, I haven't touched the clutch other than to adjust the cable for some stretch. I think I have changed the spark plugs twice. I cant think of any other adjustments I've made.

I have had some failures but I have never been stranded. It's started and run fine every time. Items that have failed include the twist grip sensor, voltage regulator, front wheel bearings (twice), rear brake light switch. All failures, except the last set of bearings, occured and were covered under warranty. The warranty expired a year ago and it hasn't been in the shop since.

My point is, don't be scared of putting miles on your bike. It can take it. The motor wil last.

For those that I know are curious - Regular Mobil 1 15-50 in the engine, Mobil 1 vtwin in the primary, and Mobil 1 75-90 in the trans.
I have about 65,000 on mine. How did you know the wheel bearings needed to be replaced? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I will hit 50k on my '09 EGC some time in the next few months. So far, no failures (knocks on wood), only minor issues all covered under warranty, and regular maintenance done by the dealer. I basically gas it and go. I've had less trouble with this ride than I have had with my Toyota Sequoia.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
hfdarson1
Cruiser
Arrow Lucky I guess

I was born and have lived in the Houston area my entire 53 years. I guess we all can't be lucky. I ride year round rain, cold and all. No ice though but we ain't had none in the past 3 years. You Yankees are welcome to come on down just leave the "Jesus Christ you guys" phrase at the border. lolololol.

Jerry

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear. I tend to over do the maintenance and cleaning thing but doing it allows me to express the full range of my OCD.

I have 20k on my '08.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 10k on my 2010 (received in June 2010), should have close to 20k when I ship her back to the USA this June. Minimal maintenance here also.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

what the heck are you doing typing on the computer, you could be out putting miles on your bike. 80k on an 08, you ain't giving dust a place to settle on your bike. i also belive that our harleys are plenty capable of racking up tons of miles, and as time goes by, it wouldn't surprise me to see some with extreme mileage. congratulations man, your bike is a keeper indeed.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Good post! Makes me feel better about my choice. This being my first Harley and hearing for years about their lack of reliability, it is good to know this amount of miles is obtainable with a fairly stock bike. I am planning on keeping mine as stock as possible and will continue the regular maintenance upkeep. I have just under 15k on my '08. Hopefully, the weather will warm up a little to allow some seat time

Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C
I have about 65,000 on mine. How did you know the wheel bearings needed to be replaced? Thanks.
The first time on the bearings I had it in the shop for the voltage regulator. The service writer started to push my bike into the shop, stopped, got a weird look on his face, rolled it back and forth and told me the bearings were giong out. A mechanic was there and even called BS on the service writer that he couldn't tell from pushing it. They checked them and sure enough they were coming apart.

Second time was during a tire change.

Many posts on the forum about the crappy bearings they use. I had the back checked last tire change and was told they were still good.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
The OP is either a employee of harley or has stock in them
I don't work for the MOCO and the stock.....no way.

Quick Reply: 70,000 on my 08 RKC