Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundgate Core vs Harley Boom iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jg5884
Also, want to play my xm through my iPhone. Not sure if Soundgate or Harley interface supports that in the display.
An FM modulated connector will play whatever signal is coming out of the iPhone or iPod. I don't know about the Harley interface.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
My wife got me the HD IPOD interface for Christmas, it is back ordered until the end of Feb. I figured out how to burn MP3 files onto a CD and can get 70+ hrs. on one CD. I returned the interface and bought a chrome front end..

Mark
If I could figure out how to put 70 hours of music on 1 CD I would return mine too. Can you post the instructions? Thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EisBlade
Unless I read wrong, that kit still requires a FM channel allocated. And there was additional mention of an antenna of some sort if reception wasn't adequate. Sounds like an FM transmitter to me, which equates to subpar fidelity compared to the Input jack.
No external antenna is required and it is an FM transmitter. If you'll notice on my bike, I don't even have the AM FM antenna because I don't listen to AM or FM. While technically an FM transmitter is subpar to an aux. in, a quality hardwired FM modulator will sound good enough that a person can't hear a difference in sound quality.

Actually, for some reason, I get better bass response thru the FM modulator than I do from the Aux. jack.

Last edited by vickers1; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DMorr99
If I could figure out how to put 70 hours of music on 1 CD I would return mine too. Can you post the instructions? Thanks
You can do a search on google for "Rip Mp3 software". Basically you need to have a piece of software if you are going from Itunes to mp3. There is one, however it is home and I don't remember the name, that will rip your itunes files to an MP3 format. It doesn't remove the copyright coding so it is legal. If you are going from straight CD music and wanting to go to MP3, that can also be done. The software I have I think I paid like 20 dollars for and does pretty much anything you want

MP3 song files are fairly small...anywhere from 1 - 3 mbytes depending on song length and bit rate. A typical CD holds approx 700 mbytes. Just burn the CD with the MP3's you want and voila.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DMorr99
There's a few threads here in the forum with complete instruction on how to burn the MP3 songs etc. I think most of the instruction are Windows Version using Multi-Media, which is free and installs with Windows. Just do a search in the forum and you get the threads you require.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Jg5884
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Onedownandfiveup- I hear you. They are hard to find here in South Fla too. I decided to do both, though. Chrome front end and enhance the audio experience. Love listening to MY tunes while riding. Added new speakers and amp (Hawg Wired) and made a big improvement. Charging is not so important, as I don't ride for more than 3-4 hours at a time (so far). But it would be nice to switch tracks, artists, etc through the HK system. Just don't want wires everywhere.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Jg5884
Intermediate

Ripping the CD is a great option. I like the variety I can get from my XM on the iPhone. It's just a couple of bucks more a month to add the subscription and then you can play XM on any computer or iPhone. I have been playing my XM and iPod off the iPhone for the last few months, through the aux port of the phone, but the quality is not so good at higher volume. I heard the idock port is the way to go. So decision made, there.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Jg5884
Intermediate

Vickers1- thanks for the info, but if I'm going to get something wired up, I want to make sure it shows the XM and iPod listings on the HK, as well as charging. I think your unit only allows the volume to be adjusted. Am I correct?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

_- I test rode the CVO specifically because I wanted to check out the ipod interface.

Ipod mounted in saddlebag.

here's the problem, yes you can access menus from the hand controls and HK screen- BUT your eyes are off of the road WAY TOO MUCH...instead of riding you are staring at the radio fiddling up and down, back and forth.
I'm sure with time it would be easier as you learn the controls- but there is nothing worse than the 1st song on the ipod playing over and over and over while you are trying to find and start something else---at 75 MPH.

I tried a few of the interface units, as I was really looking for the ability to "remote control"- none of them were great for various reasons.

as of now, I am using a clear fronted "holster" which clips to my windshield Tbag.
I can see the display ( which is great is using it for maps, or emailed directions) without averting my eyes from the road.

I do have dangling wires- in time I will likely route power from inside the fairing, and build my own "aux in" on the back panel of the radio.
Although I use an inline microphone kit ( shure) on the aux line, it has a "pause" button which is handy when wearing gloves and pulling into toll stations etc.
and I prefer using the headphone out as I like the extra volume control --- and I use the adaptunes app when playing music ( check that out the lite version is free)

Good chance the next version iphone/ipod touch will use mini usb ( EU mandated standard) for power, so am waiting on that.

with the holster, when I stop for gas, I just put it in my pocket, so I don't worry about it walking off.

I do have an extra FM modulator like the isimple ( from one of my XM units)---I may use that in time, but after all I've tried the simple cheap alternative has been best.

cost: usb charger- $7, shure mic kit $30, holster $5, aux cable $5,
These were all items I already had on hand so no additional cost for this set up

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-25-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
fox2008
Intermediate

This is what I used:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ontrol-adapter

This plugs inline between the iPod and the radio....it gives you the capability to change songs....etc. I still use the regular radio controls for volume though. I used an extension cable to put the iPod in the saddlebag. It does require a special cable that is a 3 Ring, 4 Conductor cable:

http://www.thrillingaudio.com/Speake...sc qix-1_0.htm

I have the control mounted up on the handlebars so it is easy to access. I also ran a 12v cigarette outlet into my bag that I can use to charge the iPod or my cell phone while I'm going down the road.

I would upload pictures but I'm traveling this week and away from the bike.....

So far this is the best "cost effective" option that I've found....

Quick Reply: Soundgate Core vs Harley Boom iPod interface