Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians and SE Compensator replacements...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011 | 08:35 PM
TheRainMan
|
Cruiser
Default Canadians and SE Compensator replacements...

Hey fellow Canucks. I've read tons of posts of American HD owners getting their clancky stock compensators replaced as a freebie, or for $100 cost difference of the SE part. Every time I've asked I get a great big fat NO from the dealer. They say Deeley Canada's policy.

Have any of you had better luck with your Canadian dealer?

Old 01-25-2011 | 12:10 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Is your compensator going bad?

Old 01-25-2011 | 07:34 AM
TheRainMan
|
Cruiser

it thumps pretty good

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:18 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Fwiw I had good luck with my Japanese dealer, installed the SE compensator for free. Quiet startup and pulls away much more smoothly.

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:26 AM
ballbreaker69
Tourer

Has the dealer at least agreed to check out your complaint and open things up to have a look. I do not understand what you mean by this is Deeleys policy.

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:42 AM
Nute
Road Master

I don't know what to do. My compensator is showing all the signs of being bad. It bangs when I start my bike but not all the time. Usually only when it's hot. When riding down the road it feels like there's slack in my drive belt, even though it's adjusted properly. My warranty runs out April 1. I looked into the cost of extending the warranty, but for the cost I can do a heck of alot of repairs. Dealer here is looking for work, it being winter and all. In the past they haven't been very good to me with warranty issues. As in the past they tell me to bring the bike in and they will have a look and let me know. I had to pay for my front tire when it cupped. Part of me wants to take a chance and have the work done knowing that more than likely it won't be covered. I would then have to eat the cost. I do alot of long distance touring and I don't want to take a chance of having a major break-down 1000 miles from home. Traditionally we don't get much riding in here, because of snow, before April and usually not until May. Too bad there isn't more consistancy from dealer to dealer.

Old 01-25-2011 | 12:36 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain

contact Harley,never know might nhelp.

Old 01-25-2011 | 02:45 PM
harley2
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheRainMan
Hey fellow Canucks. I've read tons of posts of American HD owners getting their clancky stock compensators replaced as a freebie, or for $100 cost difference of the SE part. Every time I've asked I get a great big fat NO from the dealer. They say Deeley Canada's policy.

Have any of you had better luck with your Canadian dealer?
that's exactly the reason that i will NOT buy anything that is harley davidson here in canada !!! i feel bad for my local dealer, he's a good guy, but i will not support harley deeley or deeley davidson or what ever you want to call them in any way. it's there loss, not mine. it's about time that canadian dealers get together and fight to get this fu__ing middleman out of the picture. they are ripoff artists in every way.

Old 01-25-2011 | 02:53 PM
HFS
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by harley2
it's about time that canadian dealers get together and fight to get this fu__ing middleman out of the picture. they are ripoff artists in every way.
I agree. Deeley has a stranglehold, but what do they do? I order from Zanotti's, Surdyke, Chicago HD (when I still had accessories to buy.)

It IS a monopoly. Maybe there are anti-monopoly rules in Canada?

But I just went to the Dealer and paid the Cdn rate for a 120R. Including clutch, TB, and labout $10k.

Its expensive, but I'm pretty stoked.

H

Old 01-25-2011 | 03:45 PM
harley2
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
I agree. Deeley has a stranglehold, but what do they do? I order from Zanotti's, Surdyke, Chicago HD (when I still had accessories to buy.)

It IS a monopoly. Maybe there are anti-monopoly rules in Canada?

But I just went to the Dealer and paid the Cdn rate for a 120R. Including clutch, TB, and labout $10k.

Its expensive, but I'm pretty stoked.

H
they could form some sort of assoc. or something and meet with harley davidson. send a a couple or three reps and explain the situation to harley. if harley is serious about maintaining dealers in canada, they might listen. parts and acc. is a big part of a harley dealership, without these added sales , a dealer will have a hard time surviving. given the value of the cdn dollar these past 2 or 3 years, i would venture to say that 50-60% of parts and acc. purchased by cdn's are purchased south of the border and this will probably increase. if this increases we will probably start losing dealers because of harley deeley or deeley davidson ( whoever )

Quick Reply: Canadians and SE Compensator replacements...