Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadians and SE Compensator replacements...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 04:37 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

I buy thousands of dollars in parts each year from suppliers in the US because they are cheaper and they arrive at my door far faster than waiting for them to be delivered to my dealer, which is located in another town. For example, I can buy parts from M&Ms at 20% less than the US MSRP. In Canada we have to pay 20% more than the CDN MSRP which is already 20% higher than the US MSRP (Determined by comparing the US and CDN web sites.). I save buckets of cash by ordering from the US even after paying the shipping and GST (Taxes).

When I buy my bikes I fill out the New Owner Questionaire with comments telling Deeley that is what I am doing. I tell them I will not purchase parts from the local dealer because I am getting screwed by Deeley. I don't like this because I want to support my local dealer but I don't want them (Actually Deeley) getting rich solely at my expense. The local dealers and Deeley are losing out on thousands of dollars in profits from me alone because of their monopolized practices.

For you US guys, Deeley will not honor any warranty for a bike purchased in the US and brought into Canada. With my recent bike purchase I told Deeley that there was a $4000 difference in the price of a CDN Ultra LTD and the same US bike. For $4000 I don't give a crap if it has warranty or not, I'll buy the next bike in the US. The local dealer will now lose out on my next bike purchase and it shouldn't be that way.

Way to go Deeley you greedy b@sturds!

Old 01-25-2011 | 05:21 PM
TheRainMan
|
Cruiser

Sounds like I'm not the only gut frustrated with HD in Canada.

So, nobody in Canada has managed to get a warranty SE compensator replacement (with or without the $100 upcharge)?

Considering all the posts from our US friends having this work done seemingly routinely - their is definitely inequity in the system.

Anybody know any suits at Deeley Canada?

Old 01-25-2011 | 05:42 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by badjustbad
I buy thousands of dollars in parts each year from suppliers in the US because they are cheaper and they arrive at my door far faster than waiting for them to be delivered to my dealer, which is located in another town. For example, I can buy parts from M&Ms at 20% less than the US MSRP. In Canada we have to pay 20% more than the CDN MSRP which is already 20% higher than the US MSRP (Determined by comparing the US and CDN web sites.). I save buckets of cash by ordering from the US even after paying the shipping and GST (Taxes).

When I buy my bikes I fill out the New Owner Questionaire with comments telling Deeley that is what I am doing. I tell them I will not purchase parts from the local dealer because I am getting screwed by Deeley. I don't like this because I want to support my local dealer but I don't want them (Actually Deeley) getting rich solely at my expense. The local dealers and Deeley are losing out on thousands of dollars in profits from me alone because of their monopolized practices.

For you US guys, Deeley will not honor any warranty for a bike purchased in the US and brought into Canada. With my recent bike purchase I told Deeley that there was a $4000 difference in the price of a CDN Ultra LTD and the same US bike. For $4000 I don't give a crap if it has warranty or not, I'll buy the next bike in the US. The local dealer will now lose out on my next bike purchase and it shouldn't be that way.

Way to go Deeley you greedy b@sturds!
Why the hell would a Harley cost a $4000 premium in Canada? There's no tariffs. How does that work?

Old 01-25-2011 | 05:43 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

The sad part is that the CEO of Deeley sits on the Board of Directors of H-D Inc. In Canada we "Buy American" as much as we can.

EXECUTIVE PROFILE*

Don James
Director, Harley-Davidson, Inc.

AgeTotal Annual CompensationThis person is connected to 12 board members in 1 different organizations across 3 different industries.

See Board Relationships66--
BACKGROUND*

Donald A. James, Don is the Founder of Deeley Harley-Davidson Canada and has been its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer since 1972. Mr. James is a Co-Founder of Harley-Davidson Inc. He served as President of A&W Trade Marks Inc., the Administrator of A&W Revenue Royalties Income Fund until May 2, 2006. He has been the Chairman of Deeley, Fred Imports Ltd. since 2002. He has been a Director of Harley-Davidson Inc. since May 1991. He served as a Trustee of A&W Revenue ... Royalties Income Fund from December 18, 2001 to May 2, 2006. He served as a Director of Sandwell Mining Ltd. since June 2001. He served as a Director of A&W Trade Marks Inc. He was Chairman of the Young Presidents' Organization. He was a recipient of the Canadian Business Entrepreneur of the Year for the Pacific Region award in 1995. He attended the University of Alberta prior to enrolling at Simon Fraser University. Mr. James is a graduate of Harvard University’s Owner/Presidents Management Program and has also attended Stanford University

Old 01-25-2011 | 05:48 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
Why the hell would a Harley cost a $4000 premium in Canada? There's no tariffs. How does that work?
Deeley sets the price in Canada for all bikes & accessories. All dealers tow the line or lose their dealership.

Read the history of H-D in Canada here:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_CA

Old 01-25-2011 | 05:51 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
I was always told that it was the difference in the dollar,but for the last while we've been at par or very near par.The cost of accessories is a crime up here too.If its $75 in the US it is at least $100 up here,and in the US with the 20% off dealers that takes the price down to $60.That ends up being at least a 40% savings.I guess thats why I make a few trips south in the car every year.

Old 01-25-2011 | 06:07 PM
Candubrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by dansflhti
I was always told that it was the difference in the dollar,but for the last while we've been at par or very near par.The cost of accessories is a crime up here too.If its $75 in the US it is at least $100 up here,and in the US with the 20% off dealers that takes the price down to $60.That ends up being at least a 40% savings.I guess thats why I make a few trips south in the car every year.

It's the same with Victory motorcycles, parts and accessories.

I ended up buying a 2010 LTD, US bike because none of the HD dealers in Ontario would take my 2 yr old VIc with 3 yrs remaining on the warranty on trade. To my benefit, I saved thousands, but have given up Cdn warranty and now Deeley has persuaded the MoCo not to honour warranty for Cdn's owning US model bikes. To take it further, Deeley is pushing the Provinces to prevent us from reselling the US bikes unless they are Canadianized.

I had a good relationship with my old HD dealer when I had my 97 FLHTC, but since they wouldn't take my trade and Deeley bending me over backwards, I will not support either of them.

To answer the original question of this topic, I've been dealing with an Indie since buying the bike. I didn't want to wait for the comp to fail while on one of my multi day road trips, so I had him install the SE comp during winter storage. 3hrs labour @ $65.00 per hour and $311.00 for the SE comp.

Old 01-25-2011 | 08:42 PM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser

Deeley's are pretty adept at dodging warranty repairs - and they are the dealer I bought from!

Amazing that in theory I can go 50 km south to Bellingham, buy a brand new FLHTCU for $4,000 less - the only difference being the speedo saying miles instead of kms., - and if I do that they want to ignore any required warranty repairs. I sometimes feel like a captive regardless of the NAFTA agreement that is supposed to be in place.

Old 01-25-2011 | 10:45 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sandy Mike
Amazing that in theory I can go 50 km south to Bellingham, buy a brand new FLHTCU for $4,000 less - the only difference being the speedo saying miles instead of kms., - and if I do that they want to ignore any required warranty repairs.
Don't forget about the different size license plate mounting hardware. That alone probably justifies the $4000 difference.

Old 01-26-2011 | 12:23 AM
HFS
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I've bought a few upgrades stateside too.

I got my detachable King Tour Pak, and Chrome Lowers installed stateside.

I was going to do the engine in the US, but I got a 1 year in house at a CDN Dealer.

The Canadian 120R was $10000, but I've added the injectors, TB, and the clutch upgrade. I support Canada, but Deeley is taking too much. Deeley would pay US Dealer Price OR BETTER.

Maybe I'll...

Quick Reply: Canadians and SE Compensator replacements...