Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol and Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
Confused. How is burning crop residue carbon neutral. I also have a biochemical background. Burning eth produces a huge amount of co2. Each molecule of eth produces 2 molecules of co2 when burned. There is also a crap load of pollutant created just growing the feeder crop. Far more than is used to produce an equivalent gallon of gas.
Because when the crop grows, it removes CO2 from the air, and is stored in the crop, released again when it is processed. Oil or coal in the ground is contains CO2 that was removed from the atmosphere and stored millions of years ago, and is now being released to the atmosphere.

Note my previous post said "excluding the oil used to do so."

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We have no choice in our area,all fuels are 10% ethanol,no problems so far.My preference is Fitch Fuel Catalyst's in everything we own.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

search www ethanol free gas for locations of stores in usa & canada
for pure gas. Everyone in my area thought "all" had ethanol but this site listed 6 locations in my city, 1 about 3 miles from me & my davidson, car & truck run & sound much better. Search ethanol for information. Good & bad.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Because when the crop grows, it removes CO2 from the air, and is stored in the crop, released again when it is processed. Oil or coal in the ground is contains CO2 that was removed from the atmosphere and stored millions of years ago, and is now being released to the atmosphere.

Note my previous post said "excluding the oil used to do so."
We're way past the hijacking point on the OP's thread, but most carbon in crop plants comes from stored sources in the ground (technically humus)- nearly 100%. Most plants can get all carbon from co2 only but it takes then years if not decades to grow. Even scrub in the sahara uses humus as a primary source of carbon.

Burning eth is just like burning coal in that respect. Now if you could somehow pull co2 out of the air and root-feed it hydroponically then it would be closer to neutral. Provided of course you used no co2 releasing energy to do so.

Now probably time we stopped because this thread is about whether or not e10 will hurt a bike.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
search www ethanol free gas for locations of stores in usa & canada
for pure gas. Everyone in my area thought "all" had ethanol but this site listed 6 locations in my city, 1 about 3 miles from me & my davidson, car & truck run & sound much better. Search ethanol for information. Good & bad.

This would be fine for bar hopp'n, or a point A to point B ride with a non-ethanol stop in between. A cross country type trip with no internet would not work. So far I have had no problems with 10%, but 15%, who knows.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
Firetender: Here in Brazil, we have the world most advanced technology in ethanol. We have cars that uses only gas, that uses only ethanol and cars that uses any mix % of both fuels. A car we call bi-combustible always get better mileage with only gas than with only ethanol. The diference is about 30% more ethanol for the same mileage with gasoline only. Compression ratio in these engines are optimized for both fuels and any mix. On cars with engines designed for using only gasoline, consumption is always better by 20% than those that are made for ethanol use only. By the way, here all gasoline has 24% ethanol added. Pure gasoline only in airplanes.
Not trying to be a pain in the a**, but here in the US we have the world's most advanced technology in 650 HP alcohol-burning auto engines. When optimized for ethanol, 40% of the BTUs in a gallon of ethanol can be used to turn a wheel. When optimized for gasoline, 25% of the BTUs in a gallon of gasoline can be used to turn a wheel. Your bi-combustible cars get better mileage with gas because of the compression limitations of any engine that burns gasoline. It is a "compromise engine", designed to run both fuels. It is NOT optimized to run alcohol, because it would be unable to run gasoline. The knocking of the gas fuel in the alcohol-optimized engine would damage the engine permanently, and quickly. Cars with engines optimized for gasoline will NEVER have better mileage than engines optimized for alcohol, the reason is that alcohol will burn more efficiently, period. The only way this would be the opposite is if you could change the laws of physics, which of course you cannot - at least not on this planet.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
We're way past the hijacking point on the OP's thread, but most carbon in crop plants comes from stored sources in the ground (technically humus)- nearly 100%. Most plants can get all carbon from co2 only but it takes then years if not decades to grow. Even scrub in the sahara uses humus as a primary source of carbon.

Burning eth is just like burning coal in that respect. Now if you could somehow pull co2 out of the air and root-feed it hydroponically then it would be closer to neutral. Provided of course you used no co2 releasing energy to do so.

Now probably time we stopped because this thread is about whether or not e10 will hurt a bike.
With all due respect to what you think you know, you are in error, and I can't leave this thread without a final reply.

Google Carbon Cycle. Humus, by the way, is plant and animal material decaying in the soil, releasing its stored carbon which was obtained from the air in the growing cycle, or, in the case of animals, from eating the plants.

http://library.thinkquest.org/11226/why.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle

http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ca-Ch/Carbon-Cycle.html

I work for one of the largest ethanol producers in the world. That doesn't make me a fanatic about it, I'm just informed as to fact vs fiction concerning something that affects me on a daily basis, whether it's fueling my Harley or earning a paycheck.

I think I was probably in third grade or so when we were taught this:

"Photosynthesis. Carbon exists in the atmosphere as the compound carbon dioxide. It first enters the ecological food web (the connected network of producers and consumers) when photosynthetic organisms, such as plants and certain algae, absorb carbon dioxide through tiny pores in their leaves. The plants then "fix" or capture the carbon dioxide and are able to convert it into simple sugars like glucose through the biochemical process known as photosynthesis. Plants store and use this sugar to grow and to reproduce. Thus, by their very nature as makers of their own food, plants remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere."

My apologies to the OP for the distraction in this thread.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
With all due respect..

I work for one of the largest ethanol producers in the world...

My apologies to the OP for the distraction in this thread.
This, I think explains it all , LOL!

I too, apologize to the OP!