Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heard J&M's new 500W sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heard J&M's new 500W sound system

The 500W system (for those still not familiar) consists of J&M's 7.25" speakers in the fairing & 7.25" speakers in the lowers powered by their new 500W amp.

I currently have HD Boom speakers in the fairing only (no amp). I think they sound pretty good (much better than stock) but I want "more". So I'm searching for a system that sounds good to me.

Went to the NYC Motorcycle Show on Friday & again on Sunday. The reason I say that is because on Friday I had asked to hear it turned up & the tech said that there were complaints about it being too loud. He did play a 4-6 sec demo but it sounded ok. I then asked him to just play the fairing speakers. They sounded no better than my HD Boom speakers (he had the volume turned up past "e" on volume). In all fairness it wasn't a real sound demo because it was only a short burst of one part of one song. I wasn't impressed enough to invest in them. I was actually pretty dissappointed because I had planned to buy them if I really liked them.

I went back on Sunday (for a new 21" wheel he he he) & stopped by the J&M booth again. This time there was a different tech there & he played a little AC/DC which sounded really good. We did the same sampling between the lowers & the fairing speakers only. The sound was very good. It got me interested enough that I will definitely consider changing out my BOOM's. I just need more time to play with them.

I can definitely say that they were impressive. But what they sound like in a convention center & what they sound like on the road doing 70mph+ with exhaust & wind noise is a whole different thing.

Would I buy them?... If I do the lowers on my bike then yes. If I don't do lowers then I would really need to listen to them for more than 20sec with different types of music.

JMO btw

I also want to hear the Hawg Wired system too.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I checked them out in their display in Daytona. I was really hoping for good things because they are the only company with a speaker bigger than a 6 1/2", and a 2 ohm one also that will fit in the fairing.

I'll have to say I was disappointed with the sound quality in the display. The bass was muddled and the highs were not all that crisp. To be fair though, I have not heard them in an actual motorcycle.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

guys ,,,,,,,

I am sorry for not playing it long enough at the Javits center for you to make an evaluation ,,,,,

J&M's ROKKER Streetglide is so LOUD and so CLEAR that we had to keep it down inside the convention center, for fear of being thrown out over all the sound, we could have set up a dance floor next to the J&M booth ,,, ,,,,,,

to compare J&M's ROKKER with those puny Harley boom speakers is more than a funny joke ,,,,,

Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

jmjohn, I say send me the setup and I will post a UNBIASED review

Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
guys ,,,,,,,

I am sorry for not playing it long enough at the Javits center for you to make an evaluation ,,,,,

J&M's ROKKER Streetglide is so LOUD and so CLEAR that we had to keep it down inside the convention center, for fear of being thrown out over all the sound, we could have set up a dance floor next to the J&M booth ,,, ,,,,,,

to compare J&M's ROKKER with those puny Harley boom speakers is more than a funny joke ,,,,,
First, no apology necessary. I totally understand not wanting to cause a problem for yourself.

Second, when I heard it on Sunday it did sound good but because of the limited time I personally can't make a fair evaluation. I, like most people on this forum, really want someone to honestly post their opinion on a product & not have any alterior motive (retailer/manufacturer).I have read many threads/posts on here that support your product & some that don't support it. So, I just wanted to let us "regular guys" know what another "regular guy" thought of the J&M's.
JMO...That's all.

Third, I, definitely, was not trying to insult your product by comparing them to HD Boom's (I'm very sorry if you felt that way). It's just what I have & my intent was to relay that info to anyone who my be familiar with what the Boom's sound like & may also be looking for a better system to install. I ride with quite a few people who are looking to upgrade & they were also interested in what the Rokker system as well.

JMJOHN, I live in Staten Island, NY & if you can direct me to anyplace (reasonable travel time) that I can sample the Rokker System, I would be more than happy to go, listen & report. You can PM me if you like.

BTW the red lights in the speakers looked AWESOME!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

thecort ,,,,,

no apologies needed on either side ,,,,,

please remember that I am not just the normal sales guy working for a company trying to sell speakers ,,,,,,,

I have had a new Harley Ultra every year since 1989 ,,,, I have been in the motorcycle audio business for 33+ years,,,,,,,

The J&M system we have built and installed on ROKKER is the best performing audio system J&M has ever offered ,,,,, and the best one I have ever heard on a Harley bagger ,,,,,

certainly it is loud, but it is also clear and very enjoyable to listen to whether cruisin in the city or out on the highway at 75+ mph ,,,,

I put a great deal of time into this stuff, to make sure that J&M has the very best product available anywhere ,,,,