Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool Changing Wheels

Ok Guys, need some advice. I am going to change the laced spoke wheels on my Ultra to 9 spoke cast wagon wheels.
My questions are:
Will I have any problems with spacers bearings etc. Its been a while since I changed a wheel on a bike, I believe about 80 or 81 with my old 77 XLCH.
Next question, how far do I have to get the rear end up to get the rear wheel off the bike.
I have the service manual but its not real clear on that. The new wheels appear to have the bearings already installed. I also have the option to take the bike to the local harley dealer and have them do it, couple of hours labor charges.
What do you think?
Ride Safe

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

I paid the Stealer to install my wheels. My garage was too friggin cold. Cost me $225. TIres were already installed. I think it's about $360 for mounting/balancing and installing.
Check out the wheels on the HD site. There will be mounting instructions which will tell you what hardware is needed. If your wheels are brand new, you will more than likely need mounting kits. If your wheels are used, you might need to either add or remove spacers depending on what bike they came off. You could also try any Indy. Might be a little cheaper.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your question you will need to give us more information. What year are the wheels you are wanting to install?

As to your question about "how high to raise the rear"...It does not have to be high enough to clear the back of the fender but it has to be high enough that you can rock the tire to the side and work it out without hitting on anything. I hope this makes sense!

Last edited by harley-jones; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser

Ok, thanks for the responses, the wheels I am Installing are from a 2003 Ultra, and I am installing them on my 2004 Ultra. Yes, it does make sense. I am planning to remove the bags and the mufflers, if I do this. Hope this helps
Jim

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may not need anything extra to do the swap,whatever spacers you now have will prob. transfer over to the other wheels,I really dubt there are any differences. As for removing your exhaust,I don't think that's necessary either.Just get it up high enough to do like the above said and tilt the wheel till it comes out.Taking the wheel off isn't any different than removing it for a tire change and those guys don't remove the exhaust.Dealer may to eat up time but I doubt it.I'm gettin ready to replace my rear on my RK,it'll be the 3rd time since I've owned it and I've never removed anything I didn't have to(exhaust)My bike lift gets it up plenty high.If ya don't have a bike lift yet,you might consider purchasing one,it'll pay for itself and make your life much easier doing lots of stuff.I bought mine at sears,on sale and had it shipped to the local store so there wasn't any frieght/shipping charge.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a perfect wheel/tire for cheap. Couple thousand miles on it and spotless. It is the spoke wagon wheel.

2007 model.

tgriffin36@cfl.rr.com

Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did some checking for you and the 03 and the 04 ultra's used the same part no. 9 spoke wheels. This should be a straightforward swap for you.

If you do need to remove the muffler just pull the one side that will let you pull the axle out.
You might be able to get the axle out without removal of the muffler. I can remove my rear tire without messing with the muffler but I have different exhaust than you do.

There is a wrench called an (Axle Nut Tourque Adapter) that let you remove the nut off the axle without messing with the muffler on that side. There should be a picture and instructions in your service manual, at least there was in mine for an 08.

This wrench is made so you can use a torque wrench to properly tourque the nut when you re-assemble by keeping the wrench at 90degrees to the torque wrench.

Hope this helps you out!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
Ok, thanks for the responses, the wheels I am Installing are from a 2003 Ultra, and I am installing them on my 2004 Ultra. Yes, it does make sense. I am planning to remove the bags and the mufflers, if I do this. Hope this helps
Jim
I pulled my rear tire/ wheel off & had a new tire mounted/ balanced & put it back on myself. (2002 FLHT)
I would recommend a bike jack. Most Sears stores keep 'em in stock, i think mine was $120 or so. I say that because i had to have mine at a certain height to break the alxe nut loose (to get socket & extension on), and then a different height to get the axle out. But i was working around the exhaust that was still on.
Anytime i can save money on paying labor on a job i can do, and use that money to buy the tools i need to do the job right, i"ll be a lot more prepared next time. And it gives me an excuse to buy tools.
Also, be sure & look at the cams that adjust the tension on the belt (moves whole axle assembly front & rear). You may wanna mark where they are pointing to make adjusting everything back easier.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser

Thanks everyone. Yeah I checked on the lift at Sears and I believe they are about 89-99 bucks here. Only problem is man it is C O L D here, my motorcycle garage is unheated, and really to small for me to operate in. Would have to do it on the carport, so still considering. But a lot of good advice. Thanks

Ride Safe

Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
Thanks everyone. Yeah I checked on the lift at Sears and I believe they are about 89-99 bucks here. Only problem is man it is C O L D here, my motorcycle garage is unheated, and really to small for me to operate in. Would have to do it on the carport, so still considering. But a lot of good advice. Thanks

Ride Safe
my single car gagrage is pretty small,at least I know we can't get our truck in there! My daughter bought me one of those propane heaters last year.It just screws on the top of a regular tank(gas grill)I turn that on for about 20 minutes and I'm in a teeshirt.Lowes,Home Depot,etc sell them,single units and double units,mine is just a single.Be sure to open your door a bit for fresh air.I sit a small fan behind mine,crack the garage door a tad and point the fan towards it.Works great...you get your bike lift and a heater and you'll find yourself in there alot messing with that bike,findin all kinds of excuses to putsee around!Come that 1st beautiful springlike day of riding and you'll be all set with everything done!

Quick Reply: Changing Wheels