Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ultra-stage 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ultra-stage 1 question

First of all-this is my first post, as well as my first harley. I've had a wing for 14 years, an 1800 since '04. Less miles every year and getting really bored with my ride, I decided to try a harley. Riding buddy has an '07 ultra, and we switch off every now and then during our rides. Love riding it, can't quit smiling. Saw the Rootbeer two tone shining in the dealership from the highway, and it was too much to take.
Anyway, now it's onto the add on's. I have spend a lot of time researching, and the exhaust threads have me more confused than when I started. I told the dealership I wanted slip ons to get that harley sound out of the bike. He quoted me a stage 1 kit with the se air kit, download, and rush slash cut slip ons (didn't mention the size).
After searching the rush exhausts, there is a lot of talk about 1.5 - 2.5 baffles, some say too loud, some say not loud enough. I don't want to make a $700 screw up here. We do some 800 mile days on our trips. As much as I love loud exhaust, after riding all day I don't want ringing ears. I know it would be easy to find out by just taking a bike out to test, but it was 10 below today, and we are 2 months from even thinging about even a quick ride.
So, what do you think my safest bet is? I want to hit the throttle on the bike and have everyone in town hear it, but have just a low rumble at 65 on the highway (I like my radio). Don't care about performance and have a limited budget. Any ideas??

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and HD. I had the same setup you are talking about here on my first bagger. An 09 EGC. My Rush slipons had the 2" baffles. I put 13,500 miles on that bike. They got pretty loud after about 8K miles. Lot's of opinions on this topic. If I were you, I would ride it stock for awhile and listen to different exhaust and ask what they are running. Chances are if you jump in right now, you will change your mind later. You have the Catalytic Converter in your head pipe. Any exhaust you put on is going to be quieter. JMO

Last edited by Ronp42; 01-23-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Welcome to the Forum and HD. I had the same setup you are talking about here on my first bagger. An 09 EGC. My Rush slipons had the 2" baffles. I put 13,500 miles on that bike. They got pretty loud after about 8K miles. Lot's of opinions on this topic. If I were you, I would ride it stock for awhile and listen to different exhaust and ask what they are running. Chances are if you jump in right now, you will change your mind later. You have the Catalytic Converter in your head pipe. Any exhaust you put on is going to be quieter. JMO
+1 on the great advice given by the member above. Well said.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Thanks ronp42. You know how it sucks having to wait, especially for exhaust. I think I read somewhere that with the rush exhaust, if you don't like the baffle you have installed, for around $40 you can get another size to try. That might be worth it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Ronp42, when you said "any exhaust I put on is going to be quieter", what does that mean? Do you think the cat needs to come out?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! My 2-tone Rootbeer Ultra is supposed to arrive at the dealership on Thursday!! Where are you in Iowa?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stro1965
Congrats on the new ride! My 2-tone Rootbeer Ultra is supposed to arrive at the dealership on Thursday!! Where are you in Iowa?
I'm around the Spencer area, NW part. I see you are from Omaha area. My bud with the '07 lives in W. Omaha. We meet halfway in Soldier a lot. Nice riding around there.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelinusa
I'm around the Spencer area, NW part. I see you are from Omaha area. My bud with the '07 lives in W. Omaha. We meet halfway in Soldier a lot. Nice riding around there.
Yep, I ride around there occasionally myself!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to HD! That Wing is a sweet machine, but nothing like a Harley.

You'll find the stock exhaust much louder than the wing, even with the cat. You're getting great advice on staying stock for a while. Do the ac side and ride for a bit. Since $$ are limited, you'll likely be happy to have the cash to adjust comfort first. Save the exhaust for next winter's project when you get some of those 800 milers done first. My @ss hurts just thinking about that on a stock seat!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

You might consider a Fuel Moto kit with the Jackpot Dyno tuned mufflers,easy on the ears with no plugged up stock sound.

Quick Reply: 2011 ultra-stage 1 question