Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ultra-stage 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelinusa
Ronp42, when you said "any exhaust I put on is going to be quieter", what does that mean? Do you think the cat needs to come out?
That depends on you and what type of riding you do. It is a restriction and will quieten any slipon's some. The Cat has to run hot to work. If it bother's you and you don't live in an area where they inspect them, you might want to take it out. Very cheap to do! This is an individual thing. As for me, I am 69 and don't care about a lot of Horse power and stuff I don't need. If it weren't for liking the harley sound and a little more throttle response in 6th gear at 60 MPH, I would have left mine stock. You can spend a little or a lot of money, it's up to you. If I had your bike, I would probably go the route you are considering and ride it. You'll like the setup your Dealer was talking about. Good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by ThePointman
+1 on the great advice given by the member above. Well said.
I agree. The only way to know is first listen to lots of them, then ride with your choice for a while, hopefully with a quieter baffle option. I chose Jackpot mufflers with standard baffles. Too loud for our sensitive ears, but others said they sounded good, not too loud until you crank the throttle. Turns out I too like to here the radio, went back to the stock mufflers. I may order a set of quiet baffles from Fuelmoto, as I know they were OK for our taste on our 08 RK.
A good option is to look for used mufflers, resell if you don't like them. Lot easier on the wallet.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 10 ultra i bought, i just added the 1.75 rush S/O, and i still have the stock header pipes on and air breather, i got them from a member here used, and there really not that loud, just a little more then stock. with the cat in there. my buddy has an 07 R/K with no cat in the header and the same set up as mine and his bike is about twice as loud has mine. so the cat will reduce a lot of the rumble.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some great advice here from other members. On a stock 2011 I would recommend the 2.25" baffle. The converter in the head pipes really restricts the sound so a larger baffle is recommended. Our 2.25" baffle on a 2011 will sound similar to 1.75" on a 2007. Most people with radios and lots of highway miles are happy with this sound. It has a deep tone at idle and will make some noise if you crack the throttle. Once you hit cruizing RPMs they will mellow out a little. We do not support or recommend tampering with the catalytic converter. There is alot of info on the forum about that but if you want to really open up the sound I would suggest a full system such as our 2 into 1. Another option is slip-on mufflers plus true dual headpipes.

http://www.rushracingproducts.com/bl...ullsystem.html
http://www.rushracingproducts.com/blackheadpipes.html

As another member stated, the best way to make a decision is too hear the bikes in person. Difficult in the winter, but really worth it in the long run. One great feature of our slip-ons is that for about $80 you can purchase a different baffle size and change up your sound.
Please let me know if you would like more info.
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
blackl617
6th Gear
Default pipes

have 2011 flhtk try leaving it stock . mine runs fine good milage 46 to50 no heat trouble .has enought noise .

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
JakobusErik
Novice

I purchased the 2011 E-Glide Classic back in September. I went with the mechanics advice at my dealership. I figured who better to judge exhaust sound than them. I went with the Kerker slip-ons($300.00)(there are atleast 6 different exhaust tips to chose from with those slip-ons) and they are cheap and all over ebay. I also went with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker air filter and a cool chrome cover($125.00) also on Ebay. I installed both to save on labor. I took the the baffle out and removed the packing, then re-installed the baffle.I then rode it back to the dealership for the download. I was lucky enough to hear that same set-up before I bought anything. It was very cheap to do and it's not too loud to **** off the neighbors. The cagers will know that you are around them also. Good luck

Old 01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have been lookin at the JackPot header pipes. Has the bungs for the smaller 02 sensors and the bungs for the larger 02 sensors incase you want to us the Thunder-Max.

This would be a good way to get rid of the catalyst converter and keep your stock mufflers for now.

Got somebody tellin me that the Jackpot header pipes does better on mid range and top end, but looses some bottom end. Got to check that out too.
The pipes are not bad lookin pipes, can't understand why they are so High for pipes that don't come with heat shields.
Anybody gone this way, and how did the results come out.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Thanks for all the reply's. I think the best advise is to wait for a year and see what I think. But of course, I'm not going to do that! The biggest reason I went with HD is the sound. It would be like getting an xbox but waiting for a year to get a game.
I finally talked to the service manager today. Asked him what was the preferred exhaust size on the ultra's, and he said 2" was probably the most popular. I am going to the dealership this weekend to hear some different exhaust's that they have on bikes. I did ask him if you could get a different size baffle for the rush, and he said no. To the rush salesman, are there different models you can get that may or may not offer this? I think it would be a great option just in case you weren't happy with what you got.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
"Big E"
Cruiser

2wheelinusa, I bought a 2010 egc ,3400 miles on it. had rush 1.75 slip ons. took and replaced headers with 09s {no cat}, sounded pretty good. but I wanted a little more sound and performance, so i got fuel motto to fix me up with a pcv,and some 4" slash down jack pots. much better for me. the rush pipes with the cat was a little bit louder thn stock, and hot as hell in the summer. its just a matter of what you want. I would sell you these rush slipons, but my brother just ordered a 2011 103 sg and he is putting them on his 09 RG before he trades it in. like the others said, listen to some other bikes first before spending your money, thats what I did.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM
2wheelinusa
Intermediate

Thanks Big E. I hope I can get a good idea this wknd. I really wish I could take one out to hear it on the highway, but it is damn cold in Iowa right now. Not that I have to get this installed in a week. Maybe if I wait till March, I can hit a nice day and take a couple out to get an idea. My first trip isn't until May 20th to Arkansas. Don't really need it done before then. Man I hate waiting......

Quick Reply: 2011 ultra-stage 1 question