Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Build Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Tailgunr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 103 Build Starting

Hi all, looking for some quick thoughts. My 08 FLHTC has been torn down (top only) and I'm looking at the 103 build. 103 because I have the jugs and SE heads already. My thought was to use the SE heads I have from a previous project (they're the 76cc MCR heads) but upon removing the 08 stock heads the Screamin Eagles don't really look that different, a very slight larger valves and some mild intake exhaust port changes. Is it worth the change? Are they better than the stock ones? I plan on matching the jugs with SE forged flat top stroker pistons, Woods 555 cams followed by a ThunderMax TBW tuner. Is this likely to work well togeather? The Decker also has Klock Werks double back headers and Rinehart mufflers.
Used this combo jugs/heads in my 03 Wide Glide w 570 ss cams. Was a pretty decent ride. Not sure if this is suitable for a decker though.
Thanks.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

one thing to look at before you get pistons to match your mcr heads,....be sure that the front mcr head has the provision for the cross link that goes from the front head to the left downtube of the frame. it'd suck to get pistons to fit the mcr heads only to find out that you can't use the heads because they don't have boss cast in for the lateral cross linkage to the frame downtube. as far as which pistons to use, you can look at the screamin eagle parts catalog to find out which pistons match up with your mcr heads, but look at your stock front head and if your mcr heads don't have that threaded boss cast into it, then you're outta luck for using those heads on your 08. i ran into the same issue as i wanted to use the harley htcc heads, but they weren't available with the provision for the cross link. your pistons have to match the heads to build the proper quench area. yes the mcr heads are good, and the MCR=Manual Compression Release, just so you know. they work well. come up with a recipe for what actually works rather than guessing it'll all work together. it's a lot cheaper to do it right the first time rather than the second time. i hope this helps. study a lot before you start putting it back together. remember to look at your mcr front head vs your stock 96" 2008 flhtc head, and you'll see the difference. that cross link is there for a reason.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Tailgunr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks emwolb, they do have the required bosses for the stabilizer linkage (good call). As I've said I have used these on a Dyna before with excellent results. I will check with the SE catalogue to match up the pistons. I guess I will use the MCR heads they have to be better than the stock 08's I hope....

Old 01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't have the boss on your set of heads ...it's no big deal, you can have that milled, drilled and tapped for $50. I had it done to a set of heads that I had from a previous build on my 02 Wide Glide. A member here "prodrag1320" did mine last year Call and ask for Kirby, good guy. This is his web site http://www.veetwinperformance.com/

Last edited by timberland; 01-24-2011 at 08:03 PM.