Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish I was a little brighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wish I was a little brighter

My riding buddies tell me my headlight does not show up well during day rides and looks dimmer than my spotlights (passing lights, auxilliary lights, whatever) at night. I don't do a lot of night riding so not looking to light up the night or cause 1-finger salutes. Just looking for a set of bulbs for my headlight AND spotlights that will make me a little brighter with all three lights up front looking the same color. Some of the "brighter" headlights look blue or pink and don't match the spotlights. Hoping to find a set of relacement bulbs for an '09 Ultra that won't require new wiring, different housing or cause heat-related problems. Anti-vibration and long-lasting would be good, too. Anybody find a solution that doesn't require upgrading to HID or LED?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
pnwlimited
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
My riding buddies tell me my headlight does not show up well during day rides and looks dimmer than my spotlights (passing lights, auxilliary lights, whatever) at night. I don't do a lot of night riding so not looking to light up the night or cause 1-finger salutes. Just looking for a set of bulbs for my headlight AND spotlights that will make me a little brighter with all three lights up front looking the same color. Some of the "brighter" headlights look blue or pink and don't match the spotlights. Hoping to find a set of relacement bulbs for an '09 Ultra that won't require new wiring, different housing or cause heat-related problems. Anti-vibration and long-lasting would be good, too. Anybody find a solution that doesn't require upgrading to HID or LED?
Just a suggestion, make sure all 3 lights are aimed correctly, if your passing lights are aimed higher than your headlamp, they will look brighter....

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwlimited
Just a suggestion, make sure all 3 lights are aimed correctly, if your passing lights are aimed higher than your headlamp, they will look brighter....
Took the words right out of my mouth. Alignment.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Xzotik
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MUCH brighter:

PIAA 70456 Xtreme White Plus H4 Anti-vibration Bulb Link

Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bit the bullet and got the HD LED headlight and passing lights...and for the rear, the Bright *** Light (BAL1) 12 LED light tail light.
They are much more noticeable...
Are they pricey? Yes
Are they worth it? Yes

I like being seen for sure....Just my thoughts
Ride Safe!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Took the words right out of my mouth. Alignment.
+2 then. Just what I was gonna say.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,795 Likes on 1,578 Posts

The white "extreme" lights will be washed out in the Daylight. It's the price you pay for having excellent night time lights.

Keep the standard bulb and like the others said make sure it is aimed correctly.

Needs to stay orange or yellow to be seen in the daytime....

lp

Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

See ..... I told you I wished I was a little brighter ... and now I am. Getting the shop manual out now to read up on headlight alignment.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts

Me to, alignment.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Tell your buds to worry about something more important. It doesn't matter that the aux lamps appear brighter than the head lamp. Most bikes with aux lamps are like that.
Other solutions are to turn your aux lamps off or put yellow or amber lamps or lenses on them.
If you want to, run with your high beam on. Which will also turn off the aux lamps unless someone has rewired them. Most people will tolerate the high beams during the day and not waste effort on the one finger wave.

Quick Reply: Wish I was a little brighter