Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish I was a little brighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Wish I was a little brighter
So did your mother

Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
So did your mother
Mom told me to quit my belly-achin' and just get the damn LEDs! She never liked my riding buddies anyways.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a close look at your headlight bulb, is it properly seated? Mine wasn’t (from the factory) and it took quite a while for me to notice.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:57 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_7_i...Headlamps.aspx

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350 Headlamp

and go with the 80/100 watt bulbs and your headlight will be almost as bright as a HID unit.

I had a HID unit and swapped it out for those and the brightness is close but the distance you can see down the road blows the HID unit away...

All for about $80

Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto on alignment. Most of us use the same bulbs, so that's probably not your problem. When I aimed mine correctly it made all the difference in the world at night.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
My riding buddies tell me my headlight does not show up well during day rides and looks dimmer than my spotlights (passing lights, auxilliary lights, whatever) at night. I don't do a lot of night riding so not looking to light up the night or cause 1-finger salutes. Just looking for a set of bulbs for my headlight AND spotlights that will make me a little brighter with all three lights up front looking the same color. Some of the "brighter" headlights look blue or pink and don't match the spotlights. Hoping to find a set of relacement bulbs for an '09 Ultra that won't require new wiring, different housing or cause heat-related problems. Anti-vibration and long-lasting would be good, too. Anybody find a solution that doesn't require upgrading to HID or LED?
It's dim in daylight because it is on low-beam. I'll second HDV Glide by suggesting that you install an 80/100w bulb, which by itself would help, or go another step and buy a E-code headlight, neither of which will cost much. Both would help in daylight and make a huge difference in night visibility, but I think you get the best visibility running only the high-beams, preferably with a modulator. I did some tests about 10 years ago running both with friends observing from the front and most thought the high-beams were more visible. I ran these bulbs on my old RK and also on my '07 SG and never had a wiring or connector problem with the increased amperage or heat. A friend with a '98 Softail and another with a BMW did have problems with connectors melting, however, and they simply replaced them with a high-heat connector from Auto-Zone. FWIW, the modulator eliminates these problems on high-beam since they pulsate at 20-100% 4X/sec., and that reduces heat greatly and even prolongs the life of the bulb.

Also, you could install some higher-powered auxillary lamps in place of the stockers. I used 37.5w pencil-beams (CCI #15085) on my old RK and they were much better than stock. With their very narrow beam they need to be properly aimed or will blind everyone coming at you.

Last edited by iclick; 01-23-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
It's dim in daylight because it is on low-beam. I'll second HDV Glide by suggesting that you install an 80/100w bulb, which by itself would help, or go another step and buy a E-code headlight, neither of which will cost much. Both would help in daylight and make a huge difference in night visibility, but I think you get the best visibility running only the high-beams, preferably with a modulator. I did some tests about 10 years ago running both with friends observing from the front and most thought the high-beams were more visible. I ran these bulbs on my old RK and also on my '07 SG and never had a wiring or connector problem with the increased amperage or heat. A friend with a '98 Softail and another with a BMW did have problems with connectors melting, however, and they simply replaced them with a high-heat connector from Auto-Zone. FWIW, the modulator eliminates these problems on high-beam since they pulsate at 20-100% 4X/sec., and that reduces heat greatly and even prolongs the life of the bulb.

Also, you could install some higher-powered auxillary lamps in place of the stockers. I used 37.5w pencil-beams (CCI #15085) on my old RK and they were much better than stock. With their very narrow beam they need to be properly aimed or will blind everyone coming at you.
Is there an echo in here LOL......I posted the same info a few posts up....

Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
The white "extreme" lights will be washed out in the Daylight. It's the price you pay for having excellent night time lights.

Keep the standard bulb and like the others said make sure it is aimed correctly.

Needs to stay orange or yellow to be seen in the daytime....

lp
Lp, I was in front of an ultra classic that had the LED conversion in all three and can definitely attest that I was able to see the lights four blocks back. The color was very bright white. Just my observation. Now I want to convert to LED on my ultra. Just need to wait for the slush fund to grow some more.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwlimited
Just a suggestion, make sure all 3 lights are aimed correctly, if your passing lights are aimed higher than your headlamp, they will look brighter....

Exactly! I had my auxilliary lights installed by the dealer when I bought the bike. The dealer told me they ALWAYS adjust the headlight down so all three lights together do not blind oncoming traffic and if it is not bright enough to adjust it up again. If the dealer installed your auxilliary lights I would check the alignment of the head light.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,795 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by dukdog
Lp, I was in front of an ultra classic that had the LED conversion in all three and can definitely attest that I was able to see the lights four blocks back. The color was very bright white. Just my observation. Now I want to convert to LED on my ultra. Just need to wait for the slush fund to grow some more.
I don't doubt it. The LED conversion is pretty kick-a$$. I was speaking about normal Halogen or what have you bulbs, like the SilverStars that kept blowing on my SG. You can see them but not as well as a standard bulb. Again, my opinion.

I'm going to save up and get the LEDs myself one day.

lp

Quick Reply: Wish I was a little brighter