Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam swap done, it didn't blow up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts
Default cam swap done, it didn't blow up!

Big thanks to atrain68 and iclick for their write-ups, as well as everyone who contributed to a cam install thread, i read them all.......

Overall it went pretty smoothly, was a little unsure adjusting pushrods but with a little help from this forum I got it done.

I installed Woods TW5-6's after much reading online on various forums and a discussion with Mr. Wood. They sounded like a cam that would come on nice and early and not drop off too quickly. Perfect for the kind of riding I do, lots of 2 up, mostly in the 2000-4000 rpm range, wanting bottom end and midrange increase.

I also installed fuelmoto's headpipe and used their pushrods and cam install kit. I purchased gary beatty's bearing tool and the clip installer from Georges garage.

Fuelmoto sent me a map to get me started and allow me to ride the hour to my tuner.

Got it fired up todave and want for a spin. This is with the starter map, hopefully will get it in for a full tune this week. The bike already feels stronger. Where pulling away from a stoplight sometimes felt a little boggy before, it now needs less throttle and less clutch slip. My bike now feels more like my '02 did which had a '95 Headquarters kit and produced 93hp and 97ft/lbs. I always missed the snap that bike had on my '09 and now it is there. We'll see how it does after a little dyno time!

Oh and as has been said before, I ain't no mechanic. I've rebuilt a few 2 strokes in my dave but nothing like this. Take your time, basic tools and anyone can get thru this......

Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to here everything turned out well. You've got a new bike now.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for you Dave! That was pretty deep huh! But atrain and iclick did very nice jobs and were very helpful in my install also. I too had done many two strokes but this was the first time I dove in to a perfectly running Harley! Glad I did and I know you are too. Get tuned up and enjoy!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the good words. Just shows these projects are very possible for those who want to give it a try. Let me know how you like that 5-6 after you get tuned!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,824 Likes on 3,175 Posts

Yeah, that's a pretty cool feeling when you do it yourself, Congrats!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
ny2az
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the install....hope you like the woods cam you selected...dropped off my bike today to have a friend put an SE 204 set in my 2011 SG 103...hope that turns out well...in any case...enjoy your ride...

Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it turned out great for ya. I've never done a bike engine but I've done a lot of automobile engines. I just need to get the parts and do it.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 555s showed up on my doorstep yesterday. THANKS, FUELMOTO!!!
Can't believe how fast those guys are!
And I've been going over atrain68's excellent cam write-up (over and over).
Took one last ride today, tried to burn most of the fuel off. I'm not cutting my pushrods, so the tank comes off tommorrow!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the cam install! Good job!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

"Didn't blow-up" is the first goal, and I call it the "smoke test." If it doesn't go up in smoke at the outset it has passed the smoke test, then on to other checks. The moment before that first crank is very tense even though you're sure you did everything right. You wonder, "What did I forget?" "Did I have any parts left over?" "Will it disintegrate before my very eyes?" When it cranks-up and sounds great you instantly get on a big high!

Last edited by iclick; 01-23-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: cam swap done, it didn't blow up!