Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore Project Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HDThunder
Can you quantify "insignificant"? Are we talking .001" or less? .005"? How far in the hole are the pistons? I'd be shooting for as close to .000" as possible. As little as .005” in the hole is going to affect your compression ratio by .10 of a point.
I was thinking that .005 would pretty much be the normal area with flat tops without modifications?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I was thinking that .005 would pretty much be the normal area with flat tops without modifications?
I don't think you can assume that. It's going to really depend on the pistons you're using and where your starting point is as far as cylinder deck height relative to the connecting rod.

Example - I'm installing Wiseco 10.5:1 pistons in my 107" build. They are .0065" taller than the stock pistons from wrist pin to top surface. Interestingly enough the stock ones were .006/.007 in the hole front/rear respectively. Guess what? Near instant zero deck without doing any milling. Sometimes I actually win one... but not usually. Not sure if that was a planned thing by Wiseco or a coincedence.

I guess the point is if you're trying to get everything out of your build, don't make assumptions. Measure everything and understand what you've got. Set it up optimally the first time. Why not? It's not really any harder to do than just blindly assembling and hoping it's all good.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HDThunder
I don't think you can assume that. It's going to really depend on the pistons you're using and where your starting point is as far as cylinder deck height relative to the connecting rod.

Example - I'm installing Wiseco 10.5:1 pistons in my 107" build. They are .0065" taller than the stock pistons from wrist pin to top surface. Interestingly enough the stock ones were .006/.007 in the hole front/rear respectively. Guess what? Near instant zero deck without doing any milling. Sometimes I actually win one... but not usually. Not sure if that was a planned thing by Wiseco or a coincedence.

I guess the point is if you're trying to get everything out of your build, don't make assumptions. Measure everything and understand what you've got. Set it up optimally the first time. Why not? It's not really any harder to do than just blindly assembling and hoping it's all good.
Never really thought of it that way in relation to wrist pin > piston top. I have SE 103" flat tops and was basing my guesstimation on those specific pistons and prior results. Great point...