Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work

Here is the story of my winter upgrade madness

3 months ago I started looking at doing a little engine work, I thought of going with a 107 kit but after running my spreadsheet of what I wanted to do on the build, it quickly ran up to almost 6K (dark horse crank work, head work and comp rls, SE comp, ect) I realized I could spend that same amount of money and do a 120R crate motor (I know I did not have to do all the extra work on the 107 build but I like to go overboard with reliability)
So the journey began...
I was lucky enough to find a builder/tuner that had the same idea of enhancing the 120R. Enter Jim Kennedy (StrokerJlK). Jim is a master tuner and was interested in seeing what we could pull out of a motor that was designed for the track. Our 1st step was to find a cam that would be bagger friendly, ie. moving the TQ over to the left where it is useful for touring/street driving. 3 months ago, there were very few data points on these motors, no one had takend one apart to see if these really lived up to their hype. Jim measured everything and without getting into the exact details, we found that these motors are very well put together with good SE parts.
Being in science project mode, we decided to see what we could do to make his a street friendly motor, we added S&S roller rockers, sent the heads off to WFOLarry to get cleaned up and have the valve guides replaced and normal stage 3 work done. Sent the SE 58mm throttle body off to HPI to have it cleaned up and a better flowing manifold bolted up to the TB. I decided to go with the Tman 662-1 cams as I was not concerned with HP but wanted TQ, and I wanted it early and BIG. This cam was perfect for the job. Did not have to have high compression, if fact we reduced the comp from 10.5 to 10.3, CCP came out at 190, probaly wont even need the ACR
There have been a few 120R's popping up and I am sure that more than a few will follow. I think we were one of the 1st to pull the motor apart and try some interesting new part combos. The details of the build and lots of pictures are in this thread, a good read if someone is thinking of picking up one of these motors. build details here http://www.*****************/forums/tw...ins-120rs.html
For those that ask "why tear down a crate motor, or why a race motor in a bagger" Because it is possible and it is FUN!!
Detail of parts installed in signature block
My poor V Rod is going to get even less miles this summer...

Attached Thumbnails Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work-120-uncorrected-dyno.jpg   Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work-sae-dyno.jpg   Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work-120r-std.jpg  

Last edited by Eric in chicago; 01-22-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

damn Eric, and I thought it was thunder I heard and it was gonna rain and was the salt off the chicago streets,,,still dry outside must have been your bike!! bad ***, great write up, when ya wanna race?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leohd
damn Eric, and I thought it was thunder I heard and it was gonna rain and was the salt off the chicago streets,,,still dry outside must have been your bike!! bad ***, great write up, when ya wanna race?

Thanks Leo! now, you know this is a race motor, not legal for street use. I am just going to ride it around my private game reserve here in downtown Chicago. I cant go racing anybody (except maybe some unsuspecting sport bikes)

Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

How you gonna hold on to that thing? Better strap yourself to it.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Great write up. We just need some good weather to get some of these 120R on the summer touring rides. I also want to see how the stock 120R hold up in that new draggin' bagger race category this summer.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Eric--very nice write up on a kick-*** project. That is a FUN ride you've built!

I noticed you have a DX. I know were talking apples and oranges on hp/tq, but how does the 120R compare with DX in terms of get up and go??

Old 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Have fun waiting for the thaw!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh and by the way the link doesn't work.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
Eric--very nice write up on a kick-*** project. That is a FUN ride you've built!

I noticed you have a DX. I know were talking apples and oranges on hp/tq, but how does the 120R compare with DX in terms of get up and go??

Thanks! Dont know about the comparsion yet, the Ultra is sitting 200 miles away at the tuner waiting for me to pick it up next weekend. Knowing how the V Rod likes to run, I will expect it to be apples and oranges. The Ultra will probaly get the V Rod out of the hole (maybe) beacuse of the huge TQ the bagger will have but the V Rod will get it back pretty quick, as blowing thru the gears and keeping the rod in the over 5K rpm sweet spot will pull the away from the bagger. Classsic battle between TQ and HP, Tq wins the hole shot, HP wins the race. Got to figure the weight of the rod will be an advantage as well. The rod ridden properly is wicked fast, pull your arms off fast. BUT, the 120r is going to give it a run for the money for sure. Different tools for different jobs (if you job is getting from 1 place to another very very fast!)

Its funny, I went down this 120 path after a dealer ride this past fall, running with a Ultra with a hot 110 motor, we were playing, me on the rod, him with the ultra and a passenger. stop light to stop light he was FAST, real fast. It got me thinking about fast comfort and ended with the 120r that can go 500 miles a day and bring the wife along. And, when I have to blow by a semi, up hill into a headwind, I just twist the right wrist. Oh, and the radio blasting some Ramones tunes while doing so Should be the best of both worlds, speed and comfort!!

Last edited by Eric in chicago; 01-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HighLiner
Oh and by the way the link doesn't work.

Thanks for the heads up, link fixed...

Quick Reply: Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work