Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Wow Eric.Sweeeeeet...... I'll keep an eye (and ear) out for you in Chicago area... Won't be hard to miss...Come on spring!!!! :-) ...........o~`o...................

Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaldojr
Ok I've been thinking about doing this motor swap on my 07 SG the parts guy at my local dealer said pick this motor up and a throttle body and just bolt in but after reading everything on here it seems like there's more to it. And didn't metion anything about it not being street legal. Eric very nice and brave to tear in to a brand new create motor
Dont think about it, DO IT MAN!! Your dealer is right, this is a bolt in deal that will give you a big smile. We wanted to try something different and wanted to get a look inside one of these monsters. There a many that have just bolted one in without doing anything that are very happy. There is not a lot of difference between my build and stock, when you have that much power on tap, 10hp/tq moved around in the power band will not be noticeable by most. The 3 things that have to be taken into consideration are a good tuner (not dealer unless they have a good in house engine builder/tuner, base map from HD sucks) Free flowing exh like D&D, supertrapp, and a aftermarket clutch with VPC, SE Race clutch is far too strong for the street unless you have forearms like Popeye. figure a bolt in engine is 7-8K when it is all said and done (clutch,tune, install, exh) Not bad for 130hp/tq all day.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Originally Posted by riteway
Wow Eric.Sweeeeeet...... I'll keep an eye (and ear) out for you in Chicago area... Won't be hard to miss...Come on spring!!!! :-) ...........o~`o...................
Yeah, you should be able to hear me coming from 4 miles away!! It would be nice to meet up with some of the Chicago guys on the Forum this summer!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by dmaldojr
Ok I've been thinking about doing this motor swap on my 07 SG the parts guy at my local dealer said pick this motor up and a throttle body and just bolt in but after reading everything on here it seems like there's more to it. And didn't metion anything about it not being street legal. Eric very nice and brave to tear in to a brand new create motor

80% of the guys on here have non street legal engine modifications. Unless you are in an area where emission testing is required there is no need to worry.

$8K and you can have one bad bagger.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good job you did the right thing.Now you will have the setup that should satisfy your need for speed for quite a while.I did the same thing starting in 01 now have two hot rods to show for it.Have fun,keep an eye out for the LEO's when you need to climb into it a little.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Eric in chicago;7816352]Here is the story of my winter upgrade madness

3 months ago I started looking at doing a little engine work, I thought of going with a 107 kit but after running my spreadsheet of what I wanted to do on the build, it quickly ran up to almost 6K (dark horse crank work, head work and comp rls, SE comp, ect) I realized I could spend that same amount of money and do a 120R crate motor (I know I did not have to do all the extra work on the 107 build but I like to go overboard with reliability)
So the journey began...
I was lucky enough to find a builder/tuner that had the same idea of enhancing the 120R. Enter Jim Kennedy (StrokerJlK). Jim is a master tuner and was interested in seeing what we could pull out of a motor that was designed for the track. Our 1st step was to find a cam that would be bagger friendly, ie. moving the TQ over to the left where it is useful for touring/street driving. 3 months ago, there were very few data points on these motors, no one had takend one apart to see if these really lived up to their hype. Jim measured everything and without getting into the exact details, we found that these motors are very well put together with good SE parts.
Being in science project mode, we decided to see what we could do to make his a street friendly motor, we added S&S roller rockers, sent the heads off to WFOLarry to get cleaned up and have the valve guides replaced and normal stage 3 work done. Sent the SE 58mm throttle body off to HPI to have it cleaned up and a better flowing manifold bolted up to the TB. I decided to go with the Tman 662-1 cams as I was not concerned with HP but wanted TQ, and I wanted it early and BIG. This cam was perfect for the job. Did not have to have high compression, if fact we reduced the comp from 10.5 to 10.3, CCP came out at 190, probaly wont even need the ACR
There have been a few 120R's popping up and I am sure that more than a few will follow. I think we were one of the 1st to pull the motor apart and try some interesting new part combos. The details of the build and lots of pictures are in this thread, a good read if someone is thinking of picking up one of these motors. build details here http://www.*****************/forums/tw...ins-120rs.html
For those that ask "why tear down a crate motor, or why a race motor in a bagger" Because it is possible and it is FUN!!
Detail of parts installed in signature block
My poor V Rod is going to get even less miles this summer...[/quo*********************************************** ***

Last edited by FastBagger07; 01-23-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: because
Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FastBagger07
Eric, WHY DONT YOU GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE! Frank at DragosBikeWorks Spec'd that 120R out for you. He told you not to waste your money on building a 107.You even told him that he was getting the work.He emailed you time and time again.You didnt even have enough common courtesy to email the guy back.Then you have the guts to give all the credit to yourself and StrokerJIK.That's totally BOGUS.
DOH!! I didn't realize that I wasted my money on building a 107.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by springer 03
DOH!! I didn't realize that I wasted my money on building a 107.
could have been worse, he might have said you wasted money buying a Harley. just sayin'

Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric in chicago

3 months ago I started looking at doing a little engine work, I thought of going with a 107 kit but after running my spreadsheet of what I wanted to do on the build, it quickly ran up to almost 6K (dark horse crank work, head work and comp rls, SE comp, ect) I realized I could spend that same amount of money and do a 120R crate motor (I know I did not have to do all the extra work on the 107 build but I like to go overboard with reliability)
So the journey began...
THE 107" story is -EXACTLY where I was at too. But the Spare motor is the warranty.

I'm going to leave the motor as it is out of the [cardboard] box.

I'm leaving the cams, and going 58 mm TB [HD].

My Heavy Breather is good, and Stock head pipe and SE Street Perf Mufflers should be alright.

We'll see what that soup tastes like... ha ha

I know there is room to grow, but somethin to work toward.

No second bike in the stable, or anytime soon now.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading both write ups sounds like you have a alot of go...and already had plenty of show

Quick Reply: Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work