Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you tear it down far enough to see the crank pin? Is there any foreseeable reason to believe the crank could scissor in these motors?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Did you tear it down far enough to see the crank pin? Is there any foreseeable reason to believe the crank could scissor in these motors?
Yep, tore it down but did not crack the cases. follow the link in the top post, lots of pics of the motor coming apart. Anything less than a dark horse crank is going to be suspect. The SE crank is pretty stout, time will tell but I am not going to stress that much. Not going to the drag strip and am pretty easy on my bikes. Will see this summer when guys start taking this motor to the drag strip!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:48 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 120r

Originally Posted by Eric in chicago
Yep, tore it down but did not crack the cases. follow the link in the top post, lots of pics of the motor coming apart. Anything less than a dark horse crank is going to be suspect. The SE crank is pretty stout, time will tell but I am not going to stress that much. Not going to the drag strip and am pretty easy on my bikes. Will see this summer when guys start taking this motor to the drag strip!
What do you think you gained for hp/tq over the stock 120R crate? I haven't really checked how far that cam moved your power band to the right compared to the 266E. Jim gave me the map that i have in my 120R right now till i get to the tuner. I think he said the run out on the cranks was .002 and they supposedly have a tighter pin press fit time will tell. The stock HD crank is pretty sad looking next to the SE.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
What do you think you gained for hp/tq over the stock 120R crate? I haven't really checked how far that cam moved your power band to the right compared to the 266E. Jim gave me the map that i have in my 120R right now till i get to the tuner. I think he said the run out on the cranks was .002 and they supposedly have a tighter pin press fit time will tell. The stock HD crank is pretty sad looking next to the SE.
Jim overlayed my dyno on I think HarleyRacers 120 that he tuned, he said big difference. 128tq at 2600 rpms and keep rising. He is doing some 1/2 throttle pulls tonight to see what it look like in real world riding (passing that semi riding) he is wow'ed by the TQ and how early and strong it is in the range where most of us touring guys spend the most of our time. That being said, the 266E cam is not bad, just a little later. I think with the head work we had done by Larry, the 266E will be very nice in this build, more hp for sure but a little later tq. And, I think the crank run out was a extra zero, .0002, both motors had the exact same specs when measured. That is pretty damm good quality control. The Pilgram Road Plant is on their game!!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:21 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank run out

Jim overlayed my dyno on I think HarleyRacers 120 that he tuned, he said big difference. 128tq at 2600 rpms and keep rising. He is doing some 1/2 throttle pulls tonight to see what it look like in real world riding (passing that semi riding) he is wow'ed by the TQ and how early and strong it is in the range where most of us touring guys spend the most of our time. That being said, the 266E cam is not bad, just a little later. I think with the head work we had done by Larry, the 266E will be very nice in this build, more hp for sure but a little later tq. And, I think the crank run out was a extra zero, .0002, both motors had the exact same specs when measured. That is pretty damm good quality control. The Pilgram Road Plant is on their game!!
Well if they were 2 tenths that is as good as your going to get thats great. I'm going to just tune the 120R and run it through the summer

Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eric you have me drooling! I really didn't need to see this. Enjoy the ride

Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

To me the 120R is a great deal compared to spending 4 or 5 grand on a engine build, it leaves you with a back up or one to sell.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

This is killing me...I have a bad case of piston envy...

Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

. 128tq at 2600 rpms and keep rising. !
The uncorrected Dyno sheet posted earlier showed 128tq at 2900 rpms, was jim able to tweak some more out of her? It looks like to me the torque only shifted maybe 200 or 300rpm to the left compared to mine with the 266E.

Quick Reply: Another 120R crate "plus" motor hits the streets-Bagger Cams and a little extra work