Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Is it possible!?

I was curious about the available GPS units that are available through HD. I was looking at HD's "Road-Tech Zumo 665"... aka Garmin Zumo 665. HD wants $1,000 for it's setup, but you can purchase the non-HD branded version for $799-$899. Is it worth the extra hundred dollars? The fairing mount is only $39.99 through HD, so that takes care of that not being in the non-HD kit. Now... my question. Would it be possible to purchase the non-HD version, and just download the HD software from the HD website, and just load it onto the non-HD GPS? Any ideas would be great to know. Thanks guys!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the same unit, just a re-badged Garmin. I don't know that HD something downloadable, but what is it in their software that you're looking for? I'm guessing they have all dealerships preloaded, though just a guess. I'd find the lowest price on the "normal" Garmin and roll with that. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing really different with the HD badged units is an HD button on the menu screen that will bring up the pre-loaded POIs of all the North American dealerships. An HD POI file is readily available many places (the best is maintained by Dave726 on zumoforums.com), so don't buy an HD unit for that reason. You will occassionally find promotions or Garmin rebates on the HD unit that make it price competitive with the non-badged variety, and that is about the only time I would buy the HD unit (I have a non-HD 665).

Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM
rcdifalco
Intermediate

I purchased to regular Garmin and downloaded free waypoint list of dealers. Also, the HD does not come with the fairing mount, that is still a separate purchase. You will save a couple of hundred dollars with the regular Zomo

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't justify an extra $100-$200 more for just getting the locations of all the Harley Stores of all "America" (North, South and Central America) factory downloaded into the GPS, which brings that HD branded GPS into the $1,000 bracket.... Have you check on the differences of the two if any? I would find out the price for the download and buy the cheaper GPS. If, anything happens with the Garmin GPS you would have to go through Garmin anyway like I did. They replaced my Harley RoadTech Conquest GPS entirely for free, when the factory could not fix the old one, when the GPS was not connecting to the Satillites anymore. Originally, I bought the GPS from E-Bay and it came without the mounting bracket with a savings of around $150.00.... But, I really like the choice that you are looking at. But, it is too early for me to replace my GPS.

Last edited by knife_edge; 01-22-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, as far as I know, there are not really in differences between the two units, other then the preloaded HD stealership locations. I just wanted a great GPS that is waterproof, XM radio, bluetooth, and the weather updates are a perk as well. I was not planning on spending the $1k for the HD branded model anyway, as to why I was asking about the Garmin branded models. I didn't know that you could just download the HD stealership locations, and add them. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

one big difference the harley unit works with an interface to play it through your radio without changing to aux.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM
badknees
Road Master

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
one big difference the harley unit works with an interface to play it through your radio without changing to aux.
I'm getting the 660 don't need xm put on this week they have 20% off so I'll let them install and break even plus it will play through the speakers.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe it is the same unit but does not have the logo on it or the Harley dealer POI or the Harley splash screen installed. Here is the splash screen and if you go to www.zumoforums.com/
you can find out how to DL and install the latest POI for Harley dealers.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:44 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out. $617.00 with free shipping on the 660. Can't see paying $200.00 more for XM.

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details....08&item=6G0720

Quick Reply: Is it possible!?