Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing the right gloves

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 AM
"Big E"
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing the right gloves

I know it doesnt get as cold down here as it does up north, but it still gets cold! yesterday I was taking my bike to harley for service. Everything was fine except for my fingers, it was about 38 degrees. my thick gloves wasnt doing the trick. dealer said to get there gortek gloves. they were $98, heated gloves were about $225 with cig plug in adapter. what is the best way to go & the best value?. also, where do I get them? any help from some of you cold weather riders would be very helpful. I dont mind spending a few bucks for somthing that works! yesterday my fingers hurt something awful, & its a good 50 miles to dealer. I bought some throw-away rubber gloves to go inside my thick ones for the trip home, they seem to help some, but, it also had warmed up tohigh 40s. thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

Hi BigE:

I just bought some Gerbing heated gloves (and a jacket liner). Most say Gerbing is the best for heated clothing. They work like a charm. They ain't cheap but when I head from N.E. NC to Florida in a month I'll be real glad I have them.

Just do a Google search for "Gerbing".

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gerbing or HD for heated gloves.
HD are made by Gerbing and carry the same lifetime warranty.

For non-heated gloves, I use a brand called Olympia.
http://www.olympiagloves.com/

I think the key to fitting gloves for warmth is not buying them too tight.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:26 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I live in the windy city and I use Mechanics gloves and when its really cold I put a pair of Thinsulate gloves over them.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Hi BigE:

I just bought some Gerbing heated gloves (and a jacket liner). Most say Gerbing is the best for heated clothing. They work like a charm. They ain't cheap but when I head from N.E. NC to Florida in a month I'll be real glad I have them.

Just do a Google search for "Gerbing".
I agree. I have the same set up and it works well. Look up grand prix motor sports and sign up for their email deals. I got my g3 gloves on sale for $111 last year along with the liner for about $150. If you are going to need them for this season getting a deal will be a bit more difficult.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 AM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member

If its really cold and you're riding for any length of time I don't think you will find any glove thats going to keep the cold out. I fought it for years and last year I bought the Gerbrings G-5 heated gloves and jacket liner. Not cheap but the best investment I've made in cold riding gear. Bite the bullet and get the heated gloves.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a friend from up north tell me that the best thing was snowmobile mittens. They will keep your hand warm better than anythng else. Of course you are sacrificing a little dexterity with a mitten. But having all four fingers togther helps perserve the heat from you hand.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
rdglider
Cruiser

I installed the heated grips Harley sells, two weeks later a stupid cabby knocked me off my bike...all that happened was the slide ate my temp dial on the left grip...heaters stil work but I have to dial in a temp with my pliers. The grips work great. But the stealership wanted big money to put in a new set...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have several pairs of gloves, but none of them are really good for cold below about 40. The heated grips are a excellent addition to keep you riding on those days. I love mine.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by "Big E"
I know it doesnt get as cold down here as it does up north, but it still gets cold! yesterday I was taking my bike to harley for service. Everything was fine except for my fingers, it was about 38 degrees. my thick gloves wasnt doing the trick. dealer said to get there gortek gloves. they were $98, heated gloves were about $225 with cig plug in adapter. what is the best way to go & the best value?. also, where do I get them? any help from some of you cold weather riders would be very helpful. I dont mind spending a few bucks for somthing that works! yesterday my fingers hurt something awful, & its a good 50 miles to dealer. I bought some throw-away rubber gloves to go inside my thick ones for the trip home, they seem to help some, but, it also had warmed up tohigh 40s. thanks in advance.
At that temperature the best thing is heated gloves. Check out the Gerbings T5 - think they are about $160 but you'll also need a temp controller, also check out a heated jacket liner, I love mine, plus the gloves plug into the cuffs of the jacket liner. Held gloves are awesome too. IMHO with gear you get what you pay for.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.html

Not pimping for these guys but good video on the subject....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAtBxiWzW38

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-22-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: choosing the right gloves